Accidentally purchased bolt on exhaust

mitchelldanger

Registered
Purchased bolt on yoshi exhaust for 07 Gen 1 Busa.

I think I need a slip-on exhaust. Because the pipes won't fit. What do I do to make this work without returning the pipes?

Here's what I needed. Assuming slip on.

15858543961908915686181312664182.jpg

As mr brown said, loosen the bolt on the clamp and PROVIDED the inside diameter is slightly larger than the outside diameter of the mid section pipe you are fitting the muffler to, it will “slip on”. Then tighten the clamp by turning the bolt.
It ain’t rocket science. :confused:

Bolt on and slip on are the same thing. Slip on is a term used to distinguish cans from a full system.
Not sure what your issue is, but you loosen up the clamp in your picture, slide the pieces together and tighten the clamp.

And if that doesn't work, you might consider a custom mid pipe - like a joiner between header pipe and slip on. Your local muffler shop should be able to make one for you for < 150. Keep your clamps, you'll need 'em

Sorry, I was unclear. This pipe came from the bike and is not the slip on I purchased.

I purchased the bike used and zero info came from the dealership as to the mods.

Here's the anew one next to the old. So I'm assuming I have a full exhaust setup at present and needed cans for the full exhaust.

The new pipe will not fit into the existing system.

20200402_120334_HDR.jpg

Again, the original picture was not the correct one. It isn't going to be a matter of twisting a wrench because I think I purchased the wrong type of pipe. It wasn't clear that I needed new cans for a full exhaust because the pipes that came off the bike (with the bolt) seem incompatible with the newer bolt-on pipes.

Asking whether or not I need an adapter or something. Sounds like a muffler shop may be able to help.

20200402_164612_HDR.jpg

Noticing some serious differences between the one I purchased and the old one. The issue with the internet is that every inquiry results in an ad. Google "slip-on vs bolt-on" and you get a ton of sites trying to sell you poop or blogs discussing performance or other irrelevant stuff. I could not find any physical description of differences and as a result this is what I have.

One can clearly see that the inner concentric from the stock header is the exact diameter of the new bolt on pipe. This is my issue and I need to find the intended fix for this issue.

How would a mechanic deal with this?

Hi, I'm sorry, but I'm still confused as all heck.
I'm still not sure what is/was old or new and what was on it when you bought it as opposed to what you want to put on it?

What was, or is the old exhaust? Have the headers been replaced or still factory?

What is the new exhaust? Are you certain it's for a '07 ?

Noticing some serious differences
You have been sent/bought the wrong can.[muffler,bolt on,slip on,whatever]
But,where there is a will,there is a way,if you have your heart set on keeping this can. OK,here goes:
Reference my krappy art skillz.

Blue arrows. These will never fit in their present config.
Red arrow. Have a muff shop or mech remove this.
Green arrow.Have muff or mech remove this and replace with a piece know as a "step down". The new step down will be half inside pipe{the right purple arrow} and half outside to accept the can.[right side blue arrow]This new piece that sticks out will need to have an O.D. [outside diameter] measured to fit yer new can's I.D. [inside diameter]
When all is said and done the two purple arrows will now meet.This will be good for 2 reasons.First,yer exhaust will now be fly. Second,the can will now be able to slide further foward towards the front of yer bike,which will allow you to have the exhaust hanger in the right place where it won't look so odd as it does now.[hangers should always be in the middle,looks better,more professional] hanger should be approximately where the red line is. Easy peasy right. Rubb. out.

Last edited:
Some pics to show how I worked around a similar prob:
IMG_2752.JPG

IMG_2755.JPG

See that black piece between the Yoshimura R77 slip on and the header?
In this case, a local muffler shop welded that black piece onto my existing Yosh R77, allowing the Yosh to slip onto the header. It's a mid pipe!
1) Make sure you like the header on the bike now
2) Make sure you like the slip on
3) Let the muffler shop worry about the diameters!
4) Ride on

See that black piece between the Yoshimura R77 slip on and the header?
In this case, a local muffler shop welded that black piece onto my existing Yosh R77, allowing the Yosh to slip onto the header. It's a mid pipe!
1) Make sure you like the header on the bike now
2) Make sure you like the slip on
3) Let the muffler shop worry about the diameters!
4) Ride on
I go to all that to explain what the bro needs to do and you just post this. Why didn't you simplify even more...numbers 3) and 4) would have sufficed. You turbo ridin' bastids think you know it all. Well...I'm gonna take my fuggin' colored markers and go home.

Sounds like the issue is the Mid pipes between the stock header ( i presume?) and the mufflers he bought.
Here are screen shots of the difference between them. The two are not interchangeable without custom work as noted by Hayawakened above. As with anything if there's a will there's a way!
Gen 1 mid pipes.
su-04-2005-7905.gif

Gen 2 mid pipes.
su0416032020.gif

The colored arrows were awesome!
@rubbersidedown You ever get the package w/ the charger & the pads??
Should have been a rocket scientist or maybe a nuclear physicist...nah,I'll just stay put as some fughead with colored markers.
Haya...just one question for ya...where in the frick are my manners? Me poor Ol' Mum is rolling over in her grave right now. "Andrew,I raised you better than this." Then she'd call for my Dad. Me

Got the goods brother,THANK YOU.

This was the quick fix that will require some more work:
-Porta-band to cut the interior concentric flush with the exterior
-Dremel with a cutting wheel was used to cut the interior pipe approximately 1.5"inches deep into the header.
-New Yoshis slipped in nicely!

Apparently, these were listed incorrectly by the seller. Not Bolt-on and definitely not for the 99-07. Made it work for now and hopefully in the future I will get a muffler shop to make this thing more legit with some welding and getting that band closer to the center of the can.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

The new Yoshis are beautiful! There's a distinct difference in the way the bike rides and you can bet I was out in the streets burning my tires!

P. S. Who has an extra rear tire for sale? :)

Back