Accidentally filled my bike with 85 octane gas

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
Here, the lowest octane is 85, and the next up is 87. Does anyone think a tank of this will hurt? It seems to take more turns to start.

Should be fine.Thats E85 right??It spoils faster but should be fine.Can always put some octane boost in the tank.

Don't understand ??? If you put E-85 in a car that isn't meant for it messes it up doesn't it???

You cannot run E85 in a car that isn’t set up for it because of differences in the programming required for fuel injection. E85 and gasoline have different stoichiometric ratios, roughly 14.7 by weight for gasoline, 9.0 for ethanol. In plain language, to achieve ideal combustion, more E85 must be injected into the mix than gasoline, when you’re running on it. The computer must adjust the injector pulse width to produce the correct air/fuel ratio for each fuel. In a vehicle that’s not designed to burn E85, the mixture would be wrong.

There are also some physical requirements in engine and fuel system design that must be considered. Alcohol will damage some substances, like rubber, that gasoline won’t. However, almost any car on the road could be modified to use E85 by retrofitting the affected components with ones that are compatible with both ethanol and gasoline. This has been done for years in cars that have been modified for racing.

Gen II you'll probably be alright, but alcohol in a Gen I is a no no according to the manual. :dunno:

Colorado has 85 octane, if that is wht you used then you are fine. If you meant E85 then not sure

Run some out and fill back up with 93, it will be fine.
Good advice from busanut. Run her a little gentle, keep the revs down, and you won't get any knocking. Then fill her up with the highest octane you can get after you have burned off a gallon or two. FWIW, I run 87 octane all the time with no problems.

yeah, if its e85 and not just 85 octane, id siphon as much out as i can and top up with premium, a system cleaner and maybe even an octane booster... ethanol blends are the fuel of the devil, they dont last, they attract moisture, they can gum stuff up....if its just 85 octane, you should be ok

Back