Accident analysis and PSA

E Zurcher

Registered
After running my accident back through my head a zillion times I have figured out why a front end slip on gravel which should have been recovered or at most a low side to the left, turned into what was essentially a high side to the right. I had this vague memory of actually accelerating as the front end slipped and that is exactly what I did. I had just come off the highway and I use a wrist pressure relieving device on my throttle. I won't say the name but you all know what it is. I always rotate it out of the way when I come off the highway but this time I forgot to in my thoughts of completing my ride and getting home. (first mistake) As I rounded the left turn and slowed down for the upcoming stop sign in first gear I had the front brake applied and ran over some small landscaping rocks. When the front end slid I instinctively tightened my grip on the bars and hit the device just enough to cause the bike to accelerate. I then gripped harder and of course the bike accelerated harder and whipped to the right and threw me down. In all the accident happend in about half a second and left me on the ground stunned, in severe pain and wondering what the hell just happened.

In hindsight, over the last 34000 miles I remember hitting this device by accident a couple of times and really didn't think anything of it because it was just a quick oops with no consequences. Should have thrown it away then because maybe I'm just too forgetful or it's just plain dangerous. (Second Mistake) Unfortunately under the wrong circumstances the consequences were different.

Just wanted to share my experience with others so they don't make the same mistake I did. A Throttlemeister is definitely in my future because the other device has been thrown in the trash.

BTW the hip is mostly healed and my shoulder is getting there. Looking forward to getting back on the horse. Normally by this time of the year I have around 3K miles of riding in.

You have to place the throttle rocker low enough that it doesnt get in the way when not needed...

BB

You have to place the throttle rocker low enough that it doesnt get in the way when not needed...

BB

Agreed. Usually that is a higher position on the freeway in order to make it effectively do it's job at least for me. Possibly because I am tall. Either way I will not be using one anymore because, possibly just for me it's dangerous.

I scoot mine out to the far right, but I hadn't thought about that particular mechanism of action in a situation like yours. Wow. I think I'm taking mine off and I'm going to install a cruise control instead, since I would only use that on long stretches and not around town.

Thanks for the crash root cause analysis, E Zurcher! Hopefully it will keep me/someone else from a painful and expensive yet preventable crash.

As I rounded the left turn and slowed down for the upcoming stop sign in first gear I had the front brake applied and ran over some small landscaping rocks.

Just curoius, at the above point didn't/wouldn't you have the clutch lever pulled in?

Normally when I am coming to a stop I downshift (to first) and keep the clutch lever pulled in until I need to move forward or take off from the stop.

For what it's worth, I would go for the electronic cruise control - they seem to work pretty well on the Gen II bikes.

I had one on my Gen I and never got it to work right so I took it off. Many other Gen I owners report the same thing. But Gen II owners report they work great.

I was about 20 yards from the stop sign and had just shifted into first so I didn't have the clutch pulled in yet, in fact I had just let it out after the downshift.

If you ride the bike hard then there is no place for throttle locks or levers or other things that either lock the throttle or increase your leverage on it. In the heat of battle these things are just waiting to apply throttle in a surprising manner IMHO. That's why I went true cruise control and I only use that on interstates.

I've been considering all of the above after a few long highway rides. I never fully considered the device that might have assisted in his off but I have been contemplating either the Throttlemeister or a true cruise control for my GenII. I've seen the write up on the installation but I neither have the tools or balls to install it on my bike. I'm curious if anyone knows of a package or kit you can purchase that has almost everything you need for a true electric cruise control.

I used this thing for awhile and IMHO it is the best of the throttle locks (BrakeAway Motorcycle Cruise Control). It sits safely out of the way on the bars, it's easy to set with just the thumb, and the release is instant when you hit the front brake. It's also pretty easy to install without having to mess with anything a novice wrencher shouldn't be messing with. Down sides are cost (I think about $200), it does require constant adjustment, and of course it's not really a cruise control. This thing works as well as a throttle lock can but it does not hold a speed. No throttle lock can.

If you tour on the Busa you know that it gets a bit of a chore on straight boring roads. I once rode for all day long on the interstate and didn't realize my hand had gone to sleep and i didn't have full strength when i went to hit the brakes. Even on my fun Saturday rides I'm in the saddle for 10-14 hours, so i use the cruise control to give the throttle hand a break and hopefully push the carple tunnel surgery to the later years. Also the cruise will save you tickets. It takes a lot of focus to keep a bike at a speed that's about 1/3 of what it's capable of. I usually cruise in 6th gear to quiet the vibrations and save gas. That means a 1/4 turn in the throttle means dipping up into the 80-100 mph! Ticket city. Now I put the cruise on and get comfortable and watch the miles disappear under the tire. And when we get to the twisty parts, I turn the cruise off with a stab at the break and there's nothing to worry about hitting or anything.

My last crash the electronic cruise control didn't disengage when I was getting off the highway. You only have a split second to make the correct decision to avoid going down and most of the time it isn't the first thing that comes to mind. Every off you can walk away from is a learning experience.

My last crash the electronic cruise control didn't disengage when I was getting off the highway. You only have a split second to make the correct decision to avoid going down and most of the time it isn't the first thing that comes to mind. Every off you can walk away from is a learning experience.

I have to agree with you about the split second decision part. My minor crash happened so fast and so unexpectedly I seriously considered being done with riding. Frankly, it scared the crap outta me. It only took a day or two of reflection to realize riding is what I love to do more than anything else and it just wasn't an option to let it go.

So cruise control is out
Paddle thingy is out

I suppose you could get into trouble with the Throttlemeister also in some circumstances. Anyone had any close calls with one?

I gues the ultimate safety factor is to leave well enough alone and just deal with it.

i have cruise control and a Throttlemeister, they are both great tools for different situations...in my opinion, the Throttlemeister is probably the safest thing out there if you are going to mount something on your bike...you can still operate the throttle in emergency situations due to the way it works, you just have to twist a little harder

I have to agree with you about the split second decision part. My minor crash happened so fast and so unexpectedly I seriously considered being done with riding. Frankly, it scared the crap outta me. It only took a day or two of reflection to realize riding is what I love to do more than anything else and it just wasn't an option to let it go.

So cruise control is out
Paddle thingy is out

I suppose you could get into trouble with the Throttlemeister also in some circumstances. Anyone had any close calls with one?

I gues the ultimate safety factor is to leave well enough alone and just deal with it.

WE all should know the risks of riding - especially with all the dumb people still texting etc. while driving.
We can't control anyone else when we ride. So there is some risk. With that said there a plenty of people that still die or get injured in cars etc.

Ever seen the show "1000 ways to Die"? Death and taxes seem to be the only 2 sure things, and if Jesus returns, one of those could be wrong.
The point is, that when your number is up, it's up and there is nothing you can do about it, SO might as well enjoy ourselves and not worry about it. Be prepared YES, worry NO.
I would not be worried about a 1 in a millon chance that a cruise control might malfunction. The chance of a teenager hitting you while they were texting is probably greater.
Being able to remove your left hand while crusing down the highway with no one around is nice, but never being able to remove the right hand because it has
to maintain a throttle position gets old fast. There is little comfort in riding when your wrist is hurting and tired. That Could cause you to fail under the right (or wrong)
circumstances. Lets face it - who here has heard of many motorcycle crashes because a cruise control malfunctioned. GoldWings come standard with them and I see very few Goldwings
in accidents let alone because their curise failed.

YES it is your personal decision and I'm not trying to get you to do anything you don't want to. Just wanted to put my 2 cents out there that I would not fear a cruise control.
And that there are plenty of other things to fear but not that. IMO.

I do agree with you about removing the cramp buster or what ever you had. I tried one and it lasted 1 or 2 rides and then was history.

Of all the "sport bikes" out there the Busa has to be near the top as a potential cruise machine (think of Pashnit) and can carry a decent load.
I for one would like to see a Gen III with a cruise control from the factory. Maybe I'm the only one?

Agreed. I would be totally comfortable with a factory cruise control. Don't think we'll see one because its probably too far out the envelope for the Busa. I don't think the Connie even comes with one.

I'm curious BusaWhipped, did you ever figure out why your aftermarket cruise did not disengage.

As for the danger in riding, I fully understand the dangers inherent with riding a motorcycle. What really threw me was the fact that I was just putzing along by myself and wham and at first I didn't even know what happened. In the last 35 years I have been involed in 3 accidents on the street. One due to oil in the road along with rain (only pride hurt there), one due to a person in a car who backed out of their driveway and stopped in the middle of the road (broken leg), and this last one. I've had some close calls but this one came so out of the blue it got into my head for about 2 days and then I was over it.

Can't wait to get my bike back!

Good on you EZ for studying your wreck and what caused it - it's the only way to prevent it going forward.

I have owned sport bikes for years and the Busa presents a number of challenges, not the least of which is harnessing all the power. Throttle response is so immediate it requires constant attention.

Glad you are ok - wish you fast healing.

the Busa presents a number of challenges, not the least of which is harnessing all the power. Throttle response is so immediate it requires constant attention.

Oh so true! Turning the throttle 1/16 of an inch can make a big difference.
That is one of the beautiful things about it too. If it looked like it does and would only do 65mph (top end) it wouldn't be the same, would it?

Most experienced riders know that if we wanted to we could walk/run away from at least 90%
of the vehicles on the road. Most of the time when cars are passing me going way over the limit
I just smile as they go by because I know what I'm riding on. :laugh:

I've been considering all of the above after a few long highway rides. I never fully considered the device that might have assisted in his off but I have been contemplating either the Throttlemeister or a true cruise control for my GenII. I've seen the write up on the installation but I neither have the tools or balls to install it on my bike. I'm curious if anyone knows of a package or kit you can purchase that has almost everything you need for a true electric cruise control.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/152744-electric-rostra-cruise-control.html

PM TwoTonevert for details on electronic cruise control. You will also have to do the gen2 trunk mod in order to have room for everything.
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/131810-gen-2-trunk-mod.html

You can also install a vaccuum operated cruise control that works just as well. It also takes up less trunk space.
PM Sous for details.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/147948-true-cruise-control-gen-ii-style.html

I have had my Audiovox electronic cruise control on the Busa for a little while now, I installed it just before the Busa Stampede last year. I love it!! I also have a Throttlemeister. After installing the Audiovox I thought I wouldn't use the TM anymore but actually it still comes in handy! When I set the speed on the Audiovox and let go of the throttle, the speed decreases by 3-4 MPH before I feel the CC kick in. When I engage the TM before I hit the set button on the Audiovox the bike holds the speed, and after a few seconds I twist off the TM and the Audiovox maintains the speed!

I just rode back from the Stampede yesterday morning, and while it was a lot shorter trip than years past having cruise control is great for those open hwy miles IMO! It is nice not having to worry about keeping a steady speed and being able to let your throttle hand rest. When you get to a incline or decline the Audiovox automatically adjusts the speed! So far I haven't had any issues with it. I found mine on eBay for $200 and installed it myself with the help of the oRg. . I used to see the same system at Autozone a few years ago for $100 but they stopped selling them. I paid double for it but I'm glad I pulled the trigger!

Back