ACCESSORY WIRING

Yanis

Registered
I'm wanting to wire in a cigarette lighter plug-board (with 4 inputs) for accessories but I would prefer to have it running off the ignition somehow (so that I can't accidentally leave it on) , rather than directly off of the battery. Are there any unused plugs on the Gen 2 that are only live when the ignition is turned on?
Or is there another method?
I intend on fitting my radar detector and a phone charger. Cheers.

In the tail section just tap into the brakes running light . Use it to energize a 30 amp relay that can power a bus bar setup of accessories . The 12 volt DC from your running lights closes the relay allowing power from the battery to flow through to you bus bar . when you turn key off the relay changes state to N/O = normally open . Don't forget to fuse your relay . You can get the typical bosch relay from many electronic stereo stores with plug/wires .

Someone say wiring??
E44F3718-8057-44EF-92D8-4258E7F78249.jpeg

F60E0A37-C974-448B-B548-8BBAB063E5DB.jpeg

I'm wanting to wire in a cigarette lighter plug-board (with 4 inputs) for accessories but I would prefer to have it running off the ignition somehow (so that I can't accidentally leave it on) , rather than directly off of the battery. Are there any unused plugs on the Gen 2 that are only live when the ignition is turned on?
Or is there another method?
I intend on fitting my radar detector and a phone charger. Cheers.
There is a spare connector with switched power behind nose cowl, by headlight.

There is a spare connector with switched power behind nose cowl, by headlight.
Now, that is what I was wanting to hear :) . I'm not electrician, mechanic or panel beater - so I like to keep these things simple.

Do you know the colour of the wires, or have a photo of it at all?

Do I need to remove the fairing to get to it?

Now, that is what I was wanting to hear :) . I'm not electrician, mechanic or panel beater - so I like to keep these things simple.

Do you know the colour of the wires, or have a photo of it at all?

Do I need to remove the fairing to get to it?
Just get an accessory harness and make a clean easy install. The dash panels and gauge cluster has to come off. Is in the area behind the gauges.
http://www.boostbysmith.com/pb/Accessory Power/accessory power.html

It's really better to install a power block as this will make your life much better in the future. Also, IMHO it's easier to do the connection in the tail than to get to the headlight. A lot less plastic removal. The accessory harness is the easy route wiring wise though it's limited to the power available on that circuit.

Here is the other end of the options, as in most complex but very cool. PDM60 is a programmable power block that can handle about 60 amps. You can control whether a device is powered on/off with the ignition switch or always on or delayed. The next step up from that is a neutrino, which allows power control from your cell Phone! Seems like over kill until you get it installed. Then you realize this is how accessory power is supposed to be.

PDM60-01.jpg

neutrino black box.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the Flintstone approach. Wired my tank bag so I can power my RD, phone, camera etc. Just don't like pokin holes in stuff unnecessarily. Works perfect and when I get where I am going I can just Chuck the RD in the bag and walk away.

Back