Accessory Control Brainstorm

jstorz

Registered
I've been mulling around the idea of putting together a small accessory control PCB layout and kit, thought I would ask for some input. My current project is to wire up a garage door opener, but it seems like there may be a general need for something to switch accessories from the handlebars without loading up on a ton of add-on buttons and controls.

The device would be roughly the size of a FuzeBlock, and could even sit in-line with one. Input control to the device would be through one or more switches, but for my own bike I would simply wire up the flash to pass button. Outputs could be momentary on (ex. for a garage door opener) or switched (ex. for a GPS or radar detector). Each could also be set to turn off with the bike or not.

Circuits would be switched by pressing a button (i.e. flash to pass) a number of times without holding on the last press. This way you can still flash your highs a few times and hold for a bit, without activating anything. Press once for circuit 1, twice for circuit 2, etc.

The design would be fairly simple; I might opt for an Arduino-esque design for DIYers to play with. There could be some cool phone Bluetooth integration in this case or even hookups to the gear pos, speed, or tach. Or to keep it dirt simple, ditch the programmable IC and just use a few 555 circuits and a counter :) Thoughts?

I ended up using my flash to pass button to keep the clean/simple look. Works great twice a day, every day.

The PMR switches do look really nice, but they are a bit pricey and if you're not careful will lead towards a Goldwing look :laugh: Of course something like this wouldn't work well for boost or anything that needs 100% accuracy and positive feedback.

Back