Accellerates up to 6,000 rpms fine, then still accellerates...but w/less pull.

snowprophet1

Registered
Bike- 100% stock 2005 with PC3. Runs perfect and butter smooth w/good normal power in every gear all the way up to 6,000 ish. It still accellerates and pulls past 6000, but with undenyably less hp than it should. Played w/the fuel settings, no better. With PC3 removed- same. New plugs-same. 2012 coils w/correct ohm specs- same. TPS in spec. Static fuel pressure is 43psi. Pumping fuel into container (open hose without all the back pressure) flows plentiful as if no plugged filter. Compression identical across the board.
With stock pipes, it's hard to hear anything over wind noise. It doesn't really feel like any bucking or kicking a cylinder in and out, just lack of the normal hard pull. No codes in the display. I've had a turbo staring at me on my bench for a year now, and am not going to put it on until I figure out the problem. No antifreeze leaks, or loss of fluids or any changing levels, water temp fine, etc. All else seems normal. I just wonder if there could be a sensor giving the wrong signal to the computer to pull back the timing but not throw a code? I need a new laptop before I bother trying to download ECU editor and look at anything from that perspective.
I couldn't even reel-in my buddy's harley on the on-ramp! (Although he is a mad-man and makes a real 120 RWHP with it.) I have a HID light on the bike which I bought that way. It used to have the tach out of whack on start up until I re-routed the hid wiring and wrapped it's wiring in heat-reflecting metalic tape to shield it from the frequency of it which straightened out the tach problem.
This bike hit in the 10's on my very first run on it, so it did run fine before. I just know I would embarass the name "Hayabusa" if I tried to run it the way it is now.
NEED IDEAS:banghead: I'll listen to them all!!! Thanks for any/all thoughts! Marc M.

Looks like that you checked the first thing that I would have, And that's the fuel pump. Had 2 bikes do the same thing to me, And fuel pump on both bikes.

A busa with a PC3 and hids is not 100% stock. Anyway,sounds like clogged screens on the injectors,clogged injectors,something like that.I'd probably start there,sounds like you've been thru the rest of it. Did the bike sit for awhile?
RSD.

Didn't drive it much yet this year, but ran 3 tanks with seafoam, and syphoned the first tank but found no water or particles. I removed the PC3 but as for motor related, is stock from airbox to silencers. There is just no sense putting a turbo on a bike that isn't running corretly so start with. I'll probably yank the pump out and check the screens etc next. Even though I keep the tank full when in storage with stabil in it, things could still happen.

Didn't drive it much yet this year, but ran 3 tanks with seafoam, and syphoned the first tank but found no water or particles. I removed the PC3 but as for motor related, is stock from airbox to silencers. There is just no sense putting a turbo on a bike that isn't running corretly so start with. I'll probably yank the pump out and check the screens etc next. Even though I keep the tank full when in storage with stabil in it, things could still happen.

good choice on not going with the turbo untill sorted out. Smart move.:thumbsup: Sounds like you know what you are doing, which probably makes it even more frustrating. Going to turbo may in fact cure yer problem (replacing injectors,losing the air box,etc etc) but could also just mask it too.

Did this problem just instantly present itself on the bikes removal from storage? Or was it happy and happened out on the road?

Lets keep digging...I cant have a Busa-Bro losing to a Hardley,I dont care whats "under the hood". :laugh: (my harley pro-street had an appraised value of $88,500.oo) but I dont miss it. I have a Busa.

RSD.

Last year it was real hard to pull away from an intersection without stalling or barely sputtering through. Once on the throttle above 2500rpms, it ran great. It turned out to be the breakdown of a few coils! I replace them w/ some used ebay ones and it cured it and ran butter smooth. That is when I noticed the lack of power after 6000. So over winter I picked up some used low mile coils off a 2012. Hoping the older used ones might have something weird going on, even though they tested good. No change. I'll drain my tank that I just filled up and check the pump screens, but I would think that it should be falling on it's face if it were plugging up, rather than just a decline in power. No surging or bucking at all. I put it on my dyno last year while trying to trouble shoot it and watched the afr while changing the fuel map, but nothing acted different than was expected! Real wierd. That's why I was curious if a sensor could be making the computer pull the timing way back. No popping, banging, surging, or anything. Just lack of normal power above 6. Monday I should be getting my vmax motor sleeves finished, so I will probably getting it back together before I go too deep in the busa because we are having the "Roar on the Shore" this thursday though saturday. I don't want to have both bikes apart at the same time and miss out on our big Erie Pa shin dig. I'm making the 1200 vmax into a 1500. I ported my heads, modified the v-boost, airbox mod and a taller 5th gear while raising the the compression a couple points, so it should sound pretty snorty coming out the aftermarket twin pipes. I ran 11.0 before this so I should be in the 10's no problem after this! Can't wait!:cheerleader:

Back