Accelerated Rotor (disc)wear

Mike Chambers

Registered
Have just had to replace both front discs on my 2016 hayabusa after only 40100 kms which thought was a bit strange considering that my 2011 model did 89000 kms and discs fine and my 2013 model which I did nearly 56000kms also ok. Granted that both the 13 & 16 models have brembo brakes which are more aggressive on pads but more effective, I'm wondering if this is normal?,taking into account that using the front brakes here in New Zealand is real important due to the wanker factor (cars,vans) I can only possibiliy put it done to more rain + more road crap getting into the calipers. Anyway Coleman's have given me a real nice toy to play with for 2 days.

20171004_094150.jpg

Yup, pretty fast. Something is up (sorry for the Mr. Obviousness), or you're are out braking a MotoGP rider!

I meant ABS is the reason.
If you ride it like you stole it, as you should be, then rotors and pads take a beating. Do the same with abs, and the brakes are on/off, hot/cold, faster than you could make them function without abs. So more wear.
One of your abs bikes getting a third more milage on brakes than the other is most likely riding conditions only. That, or sticking caliper(s), which should be easy to see or feel.
I rode my 08 gen2 (no abs) hard, daily. My front rotors were slightly warped at 17k miles, with ebc extreme pro, ceramic embedded front pads for roughly half of those miles. And they eat rotors faster than regular pads...but stop you sooner.
Regardless, brakes are throw away parts:beerchug:

I have 35,000 miles and have replaced my front brakes twice and rear once however I just replaced my two front rotors also which I fell is premature compared to other bikes

I have 35,000 miles and have replaced my front brakes twice and rear once however I just replaced my two front rotors also which I fell is premature compared to other bikes
If your running the ABS model then you will be up for pads around 20000 kms , it's not unusual, rotors depend on other factors. Mine were done at 40000 due to getting more rain last year which increased the amount of grit in the brake

If your running the ABS model then you will be up for pads around 20000 kms , it's not unusual, rotors depend on other factors. Mine were done at 40000 due to getting more rain last year which increased the amount of grit in the brake
yes its the 2013 limited yellow busa so it has ABS breaks,, thanks for the info , I used a Engine hoist to pick up the front end of the bike of course the back wheel was on my pit bull stand I was really having a hard time deciding on which front stand how ever I had the engine hoist in storage it was the wife's dumb Idea :-) it worked really well

Back