ABS vs Upgraded Brakes

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I was curious if anyone has compared the newer Busas with ABS to a GenII with upgraded brakes (s.s. lines, EBC HH pads, radial MC, or even Brembos?)

IMO way too much hype with ABS. for a car yes, for a bike I don't see the big advantage. I'm sure there is a time wen it cud be useful but I upgraded my lines, pads and rotors and its stops on a dime! wud it stop better with ABS? I'm not so sure. maybe?

ill bet in the rain it wud be helpful but since I don't ride in the rain it wud b a solution to a problem that doesn't exist in my case. guess I cud get stranded in rain but with a power 1 on the rear speed is not ur friend in the rain with pretty much a drag radial on the rear so id b rindn really slow anyway. but, someone cud pull out in front of u and ABS might help I guess.

but I too wud be interested in a comparison between the two.

I have a buddy who was a motor cop for a few years. He was adamantly against the ABS system on his Police Ultra until he got a new patrol bike with ABS. He swears by them now and says that he will never own another motorcycle that doesn't have ABS. He said that system saved his A$$ a couple of times on his patrol scoot. Sorry not exactly comparison info, but a thought just the same.

I have a buddy who was a motor cop for a few years. He was adamantly against the ABS system on his Police Ultra until he got a new patrol bike with ABS. He swears by them now and says that he will never own another motorcycle that doesn't have ABS. He said that system saved his A$$ a couple of times on his patrol scoot. Sorry not exactly comparison info, but a thought just the same.
yea but not apples to apples cause those bikes weigh about a 1000 lbs fully loaded with lights, siren, radio etc.... so a heavier bike wud benefit greater and see a greater difference then one weighing 500 lbs less approx.

Well I wasn't really looking to debate the ABS value issue. I am committed to my 2009 and doubt i will ever buy a newer Busa unless they really come out with a killer gen 3 or something (not holding my breath). So my question really is the feel and control on an ABS Busa as good as a modified older busa.

Well that is a 2 sided answer, some will swear by the ABS and some will not!

You have seen my brake set up, and it's is now all installed on my 2013.

Me personally i did not care for it. So i totally removed the ABS from my 13.

Well that is a 2 sided answer, some will swear by the ABS and some will not!

You have seen my brake set up, and it's is now all installed on my 2013.

Me personally i did not care for it. So i totally removed the ABS from my 13.

Could you be more specific? What exactly didn't you like? What did it do or how did it respond?

So was your objection a philosophical issue with the ABS or did you not like the feel of the ABS system?

Ok so ill put it this way,, Suzuki is retarded, if they are going to sell the Busa with Brembo calipers, they should upgrade the master cylinder to a radial master.
As for the feel of the Abs, i was not impressed, with the reaction, yes it stops a wheel from locking up but at a slight loss of braking power.
I have ridden other bike with ABS, such as a BMW, and there set up works well.
Now ill add, with the braking that my Gen1 had, witch is on My Gen2 now, im very pleased at the brakes. I cant complain at all, except the cost of the upgrade.
But to make any Busa stop well, there are different ways of upgrading, witch all depends on a persons budget.
You can spend $150 as a small upgrade, all the way to $3000 plus.
A very good upgrade that most people are very happy with is this,
Good lines
EBC Extreme HH pads
Brembo RCS master cylinder
It not cheep, but costs less than a set of slip on exhaust cans.

i swapped out the stock rotors for Galfer wave rotors, good EBC pads, and braided lines on my '00. The braking is sweet. Can't imagine any better braking.

Ok so ill put it this way,, Suzuki is retarded, if they are going to sell the Busa with Brembo calipers, they should upgrade the master cylinder to a radial master.
As for the feel of the Abs, i was not impressed, with the reaction, yes it stops a wheel from locking up but at a slight loss of braking power.
I have ridden other bike with ABS, such as a BMW, and there set up works well.
Now ill add, with the braking that my Gen1 had, witch is on My Gen2 now, im very pleased at the brakes. I cant complain at all, except the cost of the upgrade.
But to make any Busa stop well, there are different ways of upgrading, witch all depends on a persons budget.
You can spend $150 as a small upgrade, all the way to $3000 plus.
A very good upgrade that most people are very happy with is this,
Good lines
EBC Extreme HH pads
Brembo RCS master cylinder
It not cheep, but costs less than a set of slip on exhaust cans.

Yup. The ABS on my Bandit felt like a squishy ball in your hand. I don't get the radial thing. If all they did was put the one on the GSXR1000 on there that would work better than the 15 year old technology they keep using.

John hit it right on the nose..... Suzuki half-azzed it when they supposedly "upgraded" the braking system on the busa :moon:

Brembo calipers but no Brembo MC?? Hell I got my Brembo MC off a 20009 yamaha R6, it came factory with the bike!! Again this was back in 2009 so 5 years later and Suzuki is still behind the curve.... :banghead:

Maybe with another Brand I may put more stock in the whole ABS craze. Some are equipping out the gate with Brembo components, SS lines, and electronics to support them. But just slapping a set of Brembo calipers on a bike don't cut it in my book and I guarantee my setup on my Gen1 will outperform it any day of the week :whistle:

If I upgrade the MC to the Brembo on a 13, will that interfere with the ABS. I'm a little ways out from Busa #4 and I am just trying to do some research for the initial round of changes to the scoot.

NO it will not. The master and just pads on a 13 might just do the trick!
If i didn't own all the Brembo stuff i had, that would have been my starting point.
If I upgrade the MC to the Brembo on a 13, will that interfere with the ABS. I'm a little ways out from Busa #4 and I am just trying to do some research for the initial round of changes to the scoot.

Nobody get me wrong here, the Brembo calipers that Suzuki is using are much better than the previous calipers.
My Gen 1 had all Brembo HP componets, and that why i have them. Its a very pricey upgrade, over $3k for every thing.

It all depends what you need you brakes to feel and act like as well as the type of riding you do.
Commuting in all sorts of weather then ABS is practical.
Weekend blasts up a good quality road then ABS aint so useful.
ABS does soften the feel at the lever, mostly due to the longer brake lines and the ABS system valves.
My old 12' model now has a GSXR 19mm master and its brakes are mighty compared to stock but i'm nervous to really use the max of them when roads and conditions aren't perfect.
My 13' model with stock ABS system doesn't have the instant bike but i'm more relaxed using what they offer as I can pretty much just grab a handful/footful and trust the ABS to do what it can to get the most stopping bite from the tyre.
As you can read anywhere some like ABS , some don't but get used to seeing it as its becoming standard on ALL NEW bikes very soon.....EU form 2016 on ALL over 125cc....and its actually the lighter bikes that benefit most from ABS as they don't have the weight to fully force the front tyre into the road under hard braking....heavier bikes need bigger brakes/better calipers etc due to the energy required to slow them down from an equal speed.

Got bored last night and put 07' GSXR 1k masters on my 13' ABS model....I had read that upping the bore of the master on ABS bikes can induce ABS issues by messing about with pressure sensors within the system which can trigger early ABS activation.
Well after 60 miles of mixed and relative hard riding and some 3 figure speed braking it hasn't as yet shown to be problem....apart from lever clearance to the dash...pazzo levers snag/stock ones don't.
The result with the brakes is quite nice...nothing major feel wise at the lever but the bite and linear action is reassuring...its not Brembo RCS performance but its a fraction of the price, electrics plug straight in and spare parts are over the counter from the dealer and more than enough performance to suit road use.

Very nice, great test!
Got bored last night and put 07' GSXR 1k masters on my 13' ABS model....I had read that upping the bore of the master on ABS bikes can induce ABS issues by messing about with pressure sensors within the system which can trigger early ABS activation.
Well after 60 miles of mixed and relative hard riding and some 3 figure speed braking it hasn't as yet shown to be problem....apart from lever clearance to the dash...pazzo levers snag/stock ones don't.
The result with the brakes is quite nice...nothing major feel wise at the lever but the bite and linear action is reassuring...its not Brembo RCS performance but its a fraction of the price, electrics plug straight in and spare parts are over the counter from the dealer and more than enough performance to suit road use.

ABS vs Upgraded Brakes

You're comparing Apples vs Oranges ???

ABS has nothing to do with increasing the performance of
your braking system...it does not reduce your stopping distance.
It can actually INCREASE your stopping distance...it doesn't give
you better initial bite, or stopping power, or reduce brake fade
over a standard braking system. What ABS does is allow
you to controll and stop your bike when there is less traction
available (bad road conditions) rain, snow, ice, gravel, leaves
etc etc...

In dry conditions when there are no traction issues, an expierenced
rider with upgraded brakes will out perform a less expierenced
rider with a ABS braking system...everyday all day. But, when
the road gets nasty, then I want the bike with ABS!!!

The bike with upgraded brakes is a pleasure to ride and push
to its limits when the road conditions are good, but can be
a liability when there is poor traction available.

ABS is a braking system to help keep you safe when the road
jumps up and wants to take you down. It is NOT a push your
bike to its limits high performance braking system.

I think that is an over simplification of ABS. Race bikes have ABS these days and they use it in the wet and the dry. what ABS does is make really good stops in all sorts of situations. Do you need it? Maybe, but its better at stopping than we are over 10 stops, and its going to keep getting better.

Back