ABS delete tech / turning off abs gauge light

c10

Registered
Ground the Brown wire on abs unit ;)
DSC_5904.JPG

DSC_5906.JPG

Interesting. I don't get removing the ABS completely as it is useful on a touring bike where road conditions can catch even great riders out on occasion. I suppose if weight is absolutely your priority. Would be cool however to put a switch in there so that the ABS can be switched off easily from the cockpit.

I could potentially be wanting to change calipers , but I would want to try the system out first , see how the 13+ Brembo & ABS setup feels , then make any decisions from there . The cast Brembo could be still used of course , because they are a good caliper . I just will see what eventuates in my particular case , all this comes down to what Busa model is next .

Lets have a discussion about ABS ;) . First the suzuki unit is better than the yamaha unit on my past 2012 FJR1300 it would activate to early , and be flat violent when it came on scaring the rider . Never removed it as knew this bike was not a permanent stable machine.
Suzuki much better as it never activated till I actually made it by literally standing on them to make it come on in a back road dry conditions trial . The drive to remove the ABS was not weight , but FEEL ! with 12 feet of mixed steel / rubbers lines the brakes always felt poor . Even after upgrading Rotors to Galfer , Galfer pads , High end brake fluid , bleed system countless times , B king Radial master cylinder swap, and ASV levers. The end result was still poor performance . One afternoon I was going over the bike , and proceeded to squeeze the lever . I watched a rubber line EXPAND ever so slightly . The ABS models do not have a full kit available for them to delete rubber lines that lie in areas not seen normally .
Since after 3 years of ownership it was decided no plans to ever sell as the bike checks 9 out of 10 boxes for me . Galfer built a Kit for me , and system was removed . The instant feel , and change was evident on the lift.
First ride had me smiling like most do after adding a Turbo to their bird , and feeling the rush for the first run in .
Most of us on this forum have been riding for a long time , and we all had ABS bikes :) the had single rotors with one piston caliper , or drum brakes . They didnt STOP ! That was their ABS system back in the day .
Every time a manufacture adds rider aids its a increased cost to the end user in the purchase prices , and in service down the road . KISS keep it simple stupid was tossed out the window years ago .
If you feel better buying , and having them then very cool , but there are a rare few who never needed or wanted this . It was a option on many models at first , and now seems to be standard .

Kiwi I thought all Gen 1's had ABS with those worthless 6 pots ;) . FYI i'm heading to hollywood to pursue an acting career now .

Jeff the bucket chair was made by my uncle 5 or 6 years ago . Its a trashed office chair base screwed to the bottom of bucket . It use to have a fan coming out bucket , but cut it off , and put a padded lid on it .

Kiwi I thought all Gen 1's had ABS with those worthless 6 pots ;) . FYI i'm heading to hollywood to pursue an acting career now .

Jeff the bucket chair was made by my uncle 5 or 6 years ago . Its a trashed office chair base screwed to the bottom of bucket . It use to have a fan coming out bucket , but cut it off , and put a padded lid on it .
Hah it seems ingenuity runs in your family then!!
That thing is great though, I have watched several of your vids and was like man he really likes scooting around but it wasn’t until this vid that I realized it was a bucket!!

Reactions: c10
Well, I know I'm in the minority here but ABS does work. Quite brilliantly in a well designed system frankly. I don't know about the Busas ABS but I can tell you the system on the Bandit was shameful! I didn't know there was a way to make brakes worse than the manual Suzuki brakes but, hot dam if they didn't do it.

ABS today is generally pretty good except in maximum braking situations like racing. I once saw a curve that showed braking in G-forces. While a pro racer was into the G-forces high enough to trigger the ABS for like 80% of their stops, The road guy almost never triggered ABS intervention. Most good riders will tell you on the road stopping is a last resort, it's almost always safer to ride out of a situation than try to stop. So ABS works on the street because it can also allow you to stop and steer. And God forbid you should hit a bad patch of road. It's also mandated by law in Europe.

ABS also does not mean poor feel necessarily. The brakes on the BMW are flat out amazing. From 3 finger full on panic stops to 1 finger light to the touch trail braking the brakes have feel and control while having massive power. You know the ABS is there with a slight buzz, gone is the pulsing of older systems. It's so fast it doesn't even interrupt feel.

That's my story, I'm sticking to it.

I have never owned or ridden an ABS equipped motorcycle , so I would be interested to test ride a Busa equipped with one .
I bought my 2012 Busa in '13 , and was happy the bike was not equipped with ABS , as I knew the '12 stock brake setup were eventually being replaced anyway .
I love my L2's Brembo calipers / huge rotor setup , combined with the RCS 17 x 18/20 (over the 19 RCS) , provides great stopping power and exceptional feel . Even all my Gixxers were running Brembo radial master cylinders from when they first came out in the early '90's . Always got on okay without factory rider aids , and those old bikes of mine were comparable to modern power outputs , but less so handling , I guess .

Man all i have to say, is you have way too much time on your hands!
Awesome write up, and Videos
When i removed my ABS system, i never even thought about everything you did, nor did i care. But now because of ECU reflash, and the possibilities, of the circuits, to log, or add extra circuits, this is great!
Great Job!

Well, if there ever is a gen 3 it will have ABS and traction control. Cornering ABS addresses a lot of the feel issues, as it is less intrusive when the bike is leaned over.

Fuel injection is not as smooth as carbs but it's just a better idea. My Busa is great and it's a Brembo manual system, but having put a few miles on both the BMW with ABS and traction control is significantly better. Now if the rest of that expensive, PIA bike worked..

On the track the case for ABS is weak at best. The point on a track is to either beat the next guy or learn the limits of your skillset, so what is the point of a nanny tricking you into thinking you made an amazing save?

On the street, big balls are less useful than a big brain. In the crash I had on my Bandit (with ABS), I grabbed the brakes and I could feel nothing happening but pulsing and pumping and no stop[ping. These systems are much better now and they really do work. If no one told you, you would just think the brakes on many modern bikes were just really good.

Obviously, to each their own. I try to be very honest in my opinions about things on this forum even if it's when I get taken by BMW for a $30K bike! ABS and traction control are good things. C10, Road, and Gixerhp are all expert riders. They are well beyond the skill levels of most of us and the situations on the road that they can't handle are few and far between. Not everyone is that good at this, that's all I'm saying.

Well, if there ever is a gen 3 it will have ABS and traction control. Cornering ABS addresses a lot of the feel issues, as it is less intrusive when the bike is leaned over.

Fuel injection is not as smooth as carbs but it's just a better idea. My Busa is great and it's a Brembo manual system, but having put a few miles on both the BMW with ABS and traction control is significantly better. Now if the rest of that expensive, PIA bike worked..

On the track the case for ABS is weak at best. The point on a track is to either beat the next guy or learn the limits of your skillset, so what is the point of a nanny tricking you into thinking you made an amazing save?

On the street, big balls are less useful than a big brain. In the crash I had on my Bandit (with ABS), I grabbed the brakes and I could feel nothing happening but pulsing and pumping and no stop[ping. These systems are much better now and they really do work. If no one told you, you would just think the brakes on many modern bikes were just really good.

Obviously, to each their own. I try to be very honest in my opinions about things on this forum even if it's when I get taken by BMW for a $30K bike! ABS and traction control are good things. C10, Road, and Gixerhp are all expert riders. They are well beyond the skill levels of most of us and the situations on the road that they can't handle are few and far between. Not everyone is that good at this, that's all I'm saying.
I think you have some valid points, I would add that defeatable traction control and ABS are the key to widespread acceptance. The vast majority of fast bike (or car for that matter) owners will never approach the limits of their machines, even on a track. We tend to run out of rider long before we run out of bike. even those among us who you rightly termed expert will tell you that they are at less than 100% of the bike's capability far more often than not, and even they make mistakes. It's the panic stop in traffic, or the slick spot you didn't see in the curve because your attention was drawn elsewhere that'll get ya.... Electronic nannies are good for the safety of both ourselves and those around us, but should be able to be completely turned off if the operator wishes. I think that would minimize the resistance.

If you're anywhere near DFW, I'll let you test the brakes on my 18' with ABS.

I think you have some valid points, I would add that defeatable traction control and ABS are the key to widespread acceptance. The vast majority of fast bike (or car for that matter) owners will never approach the limits of their machines, even on a track. We tend to run out of rider long before we run out of bike. even those among us who you rightly termed expert will tell you that they are at less than 100% of the bike's capability far more often than not, and even they make mistakes. It's the panic stop in traffic, or the slick spot you didn't see in the curve because your attention was drawn elsewhere that'll get ya.... Electronic nannies are good for the safety of both ourselves and those around us, but should be able to be completely turned off if the operator wishes. I think that would minimize the resistance.

I think for compliance with Euro they can't allow you to turn it off. They see it like a helmet, they're making you wear/use it.

Just for info here, i own a 2016 GSXs1000 fa with Traction control and ABS and the ABs is not much different at all. It still has some weird pulses here and there. That could be unforgiving for a un suitable rider!
I can get the bike sideways, very easy!

Back