About to trade

John_odie

Registered
So I have a zx14. I love it. BUT I found a guy who wants a 14 and has a Busa. My bike is an 06, with 18k miles. His is an 02 with 26k miles on the dash, but he said it was bored to 1440 @ 17k miles. Mine is stock, his is painted, dropped, stretched, PCIII, exaust, bored,ect. The only thing about it is that he says it's hard to start after he put the "super-trapp" exaust. He says a guy in Florida told him it was because he needs a new fuel map. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to get burned.

If you have a ZX-14 and love it why would you trade? The "bored out" and "needs a map" bike doesn't sound like a fair trade to me.

I always wanted a Busa. Before I got my 14 that's all I was shopping for. Just so happens I found a 14 with a great price. But thats beside the point.

Im just curious if boring it will lower the life expectancy? And does that even sound right? Because of the big bore kit and exaust it's a little hard to start? And a new map could be made by someone with a dyno, correct?

pay to have it dyno'd for him under contract that if that fixes it you will trade...if not he pays for the dtno

It could be many things why it is hard to start...hard to tell.

Tell him to put the other exhaust back on......

I would not trade a good bike for one that is having issues.....

The way it looks makes me want to have it's babies. I mean it's fully custom. I'm seeing alot of discouragement but no answers to the specific questions. Besides get the dyno first. Sounds like a good idea.

if a fair trade is what you're wanting, then that's what i would shop around and settle on. you said your bike is an 06, what mod if any do you have?? look around for something thats comparable to what you have... the bike you currently looking at with the hard starts might be more trouble then its worth...

me personally i would run away fast and keep looking. but at the end of the day it's your choice to make.

Looks don't run. Sounds like we are not telling you what you want to hear. You seem to have a nice bike that you could sell and shop for a decent Busa. A stock Busa will tend to be more reliable than a franken bike. If your friends is just hard to start because of the exhaust, have him fix it before you do anything. Either way good luck on your quest.

Oh, and :welcome:.

The way it looks makes me want to have it's babies. I mean it's fully custom. I'm seeing alot of discouragement but no answers to the specific questions. Besides get the dyno first. Sounds like a good idea.

If you have a ZX-14 and love it why would you trade? The "bored out" and "needs a map" bike doesn't sound like a fair trade to me.

Right on the money. My busa has 24k miles on it now, and when its cold it sometimes takes a few push's of the button to start it. I dont know why. I know its not a big issue, but keep in mind people will say and do anything to get rid of a bike they dont want anymore. They will have no problem pushing their problem on to anyone else. Someone mentioned paying for a new dyno tune under contract, that if it fixes the issue, make the trade, if not he will pay the money back. That is the route I would do.

At the end of the day, only you can make the choice whether trading an older bike with known problems and alot of bling for a newer reliable stock bike is worth it. The known problems may be nothing, or they may be major. If they are nothing, why isn't the current owner fixing them?

it could be the battery also...just depends on how hard it is to start and what it is doing when turning over.

This is a Fantasatic Deal...For the guy with the bored Busa. Unless he was throwing some a large equalizer stack of cash my way I would even come close to considering it. If you really want a Busa go trade for a new(er) one that hasnt been jacked with.

Sounds like you are going to get someone else's modified headaches. Good luck

I wouldn't do it. Sell your zx then shop for a newer stock busa. Just my $.02..

Modified bikes will always be more upkeep and maintenance than a stock bike. Being hard to start could he a couple differant issues. Could he the tune but also depending on compression of modified engine may need to goto a 24v starting system. Depending on build aswell may run hotter in stop and go traffic. Personally if you want a modified Busa you are better to find a stock one and have a reputable builder build it then you know exactly what you are receiving.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would be concerned if he has been running a modified engine w/o having it tuned. I would think stock fueling on a bored out engine with a full exhaust would definetly have a few lean spots in the map. Personally I wouldn't do it... Your newer bike with less miles for his older bike with more miles.

Good Luck in your decision

I hope the guy with the busa isn't a member. He is going to be pissed that we are all blowing his deal

Back