About to buy another '04 Busa what do I look for?

rockmonster

Registered
Hi guys it's my first post here! Having missed my '03 Busa that I sold a few years ago I've decided to get another. It's an '04 anything I should particularly look out for? Apart from the usual worn disks pads, leaky fork seals, and bouncy rear shock? Thanks

Nothing particular on the 04.. although depending on the price and if the bike is advertised as needing work or not or if has ever been dropped or not..

1) Tires
2) Chain/sprocket showing excessive wear/rust or chain making noise
3) brake pads / liner thickness
4) Warped front rotors on test drive
5) If the bike is advertised as never been dropped, look for any signs of rash on the fairings, stator cover, foot pegs, exhaust
6) Does it drive straight? Ride it and hold the bars so it's pointed straight and make sure it's actually going straight
7) Put the bike on stands and spin the wheels to check for bends
8) Open gas tank and make sure there's no rust in there
9) Fork seals and bouncy shock as you stated above
10) Battery/charging system - If you have a voltmeter, hook it up to the battery and make sure the voltage is reading in the correct range

These are all things i would check if i was planning to buy a bike that "needed nothing".

Thanks very much! Never thought of the charging system- nice one! Hoping to have a look at it on Thursday, fingers crossed it's a good un!:thumbsup:

Yeah, i've had experiences where the battery was nearly dead or was not charging. Previous owner had it hooked up to a tender so it ran fine when i test drove it, but then left me stuck. Had to replace the stator and regulator on that one, and then the battery. All depends what you're getting into (that you know of). Harbor freight cheap multimeter doing a quick voltage test is great.

Back