Devious

Onward through the Fog
Donating Member
Registered
Sideline behavior at kids' games is taught, enforced
Adult family member must earn certification to attend

By mary ann cavazos Caller-Times
October 25, 2006

Tony Vidal said he taught his 3-year-old son, Isaiah, about the importance of fair play and respect on the soccer field, but he was surprised to learn that he also must take a lesson on sportsmanship to watch his son in action.

"I can see what they're trying to do. I just think it should be up to the leagues," said Vidal, a coach in the Padre Soccer League.

Vidal was among more than three-dozen soccer league parents who participated in a training class Tuesday night at City Hall. The class, which certifies adult family members to attend youth athletic events on city property, requires participants to watch a video aimed at preventing confrontations.

"It's basically to remind people to think before they speak and act," said Kasi Roper, the city's aquatics supervisor. "We've been holding classes for the past three weeks."

Roper said other cities, including El Paso - where the program originated - Austin and Kerrville, already require family members with children who play sports on city property to take the course.

Under the City Council-approved guideline, at least one adult family member must attend the course before the child participates in any sport. The course costs $5. The city receives $1 of that for staffing and organizing the courses, with the remainder sent to the Texas Amateur Athletic Federation, which produced the video, Roper said.

Those who complete the course receive certification cards, which a family member must bring to youth sporting events.

Another parent with 11-year-old twin girls in the soccer league said he is concerned about enforcement of sportsmanship.

Ray Rabagos said many parents who verbally threaten coaches and parents on opposing teams may not learn to curb their behavior from the hour-long video alone.

"I've seen it with youth football, where people threaten each other, and it just gets out of hand," Rabagos said. "You see it with the parents of older children a lot."

Roper said it is up to the local leagues and sports teams to make sure that doesn't happen.

"The (leagues) are supposed to be the enforcers," she said, adding the parents would be asked to leave and their children also could be prevented from playing.

Sportsmanship

At least one family member of a child involved in a sport played on city property is required to take the course

Cost: $5

Certification lasts two years

Information on future classes: Kasi Roper at 826-1749.
Contact Mary Ann Cavazos at 886-3623 or HYPERLINK mailto:cavazosm@caller.com cavazosm@caller.com

Copyright 2006, Caller.com. All Rights Reserved.

Hehehehe ......my dad could've used that class , when I was a chap . Don't think it would've made much of a difference . He's one of those screaming/hollering type parents . And there was a fight or two !
wow.gif

I just read an article about a father in Philadelphia that pulled a gun at his kids game because his son wasn't getting enough game time... People are crazy.

Back