A Wreck and a Life Lesson

I like the way the author and the leader of the group accepts some of the responsibility for the incident.
I don't do large group rides any longer due to the fact that stuff like this happens. 2, 3 maybe 4 at the most is my comfort level for a group ride. That being said, each one of the riders in our group is all on or about the same level of maturity and experience. I've been out with too many new, inexperienced riders that have something to prove to the group, forgot the rules or just didn't care. I like to have fun. I also enjoy the fact that I come home in one piece.

Good article, and I think the # 4 is the best option, the last year, it helped me to get away from a similar situation ..

It's zero fun seeing a friend go down, and hearing how other's feel responsible.... it happens so often. I wish the best for healing... and yea, 'staying in it with hopes of riding it out' is the best choice - well, as long as it doesn't take you into oncoming traffic, naturally.

truth be told...."That is that we must get back in the saddle after dangerous and scary experiences. Despite the fact that he was injured, it is important to not let fear keep him from living his life....."

Man, I really don't mean any disrespect. But this happened on an on-ramp? There are few places that serve as poorer choices for getting on it. Decreasing radii are actually NOT all that uncommon with on and off ramps, and they generally have pretty low recommended speeds for that reason.

I'm glad your friend is okay. I'd add another option to that list having something to do with slowing down a little for the most problem-prone pieces of major four-lane roadways. I just don't see how someone can muscle **** a ramp and *not* expect trouble.

For the sake of discussion, I think the omitted option was the best option.

that is why trailbraking is important... and after just taking a refresher MSF military sportbike course just a few weeks ago, it was interesting seing how many of the young sailors in 600/750/1000's not being able to manage this in a controlled enviroment. Not to mention some of those that still argued that busas and 14's cant turn, i managed just fine al also did a buddy of mine in the mid 40's in his new 14..

Man, I really don't mean any disrespect. But this happened on an on-ramp? There are few places that serve as poorer choices for getting on it. Decreasing radii are actually NOT all that uncommon with on and off ramps, and they generally have pretty low recommended speeds for that reason.

I'm glad your friend is okay. I'd add another option to that list having something to do with slowing down a little for the most problem-prone pieces of major four-lane roadways. I just don't see how someone can muscle **** a ramp and *not* expect trouble.

For the sake of discussion, I think the omitted option was the best option.

Isn't that kinda what he said here?
Sometimes it is safer and more intelligent to approach unknown curves with respect and a bit of humbleness.

Glad your friend is gonna be OK. We all make mistakes. Don't be to hard on yourself. I lead larger groups every so often and have a pre-ride meeting before we head out. I just let everyone know it's not a race and if I pull away, I won't leave them stranded. I will stop at the first opportunity to get the group back together. I ride the way I do because it makes me feel alive. Don't expect others to stay with me. It's nice if they can, just not expected. Be safe out there

The ride leader takes the blame! He was riding too fast and almost paid the price. He made it through on pure luck and the slower guys didn't. Riding in a group and telling people to ride to their own pace is stupid. The slower riders don't know what their pace is and always try to keep up. If the leader is not mature enough or smart enough to know this, than you have the makings of a wreck. If you want to ride fast and let the others catch up, don't be a group ride leader. Period. So many guys leading rides and creating crashes do to the I want to ride fast mentality. It doesn't work in a group ride UNLESS all the riders a very very talented and will ride to their own personal limit and not faster. On the street they shouldn't even be riding near their personal limit......but it always falls on deaf ears. Slow the f*ck down! I say that with love....:)

Maturity and expierence allows one to say he is a better rider and I am sure he will be at the nextstop sign.
All group rides I've been on the fast riders are in the front and one tail gunner at the back.
Its sad to say but some are to proud and will eventually get in over there head. Don't allow your pride to out ride your abilities.

Back