A Tale Of Two Hayabusas.

Blue Bayou

Registered
Some time around 6 years ago I aquired my first Gen 1 Busa. I spent many hours replacing broken and bent parts and finally restored it back to decent condition. I loved that bike and enjoyed every minute of every ride. Shortly after that, I retired and started thinking about moving to Florida. My wife was still working, but came up to me one day and informed me that
she was retiring early and wanted to move to Florida. Well, I guess that sealed it, so I started thinking about what would be a good two wheeled vehicle to have in Florida. I decided upon a Suzuki Burgman and proceeded to trade my Hayabusa for one. We had our stuff shipped south to our new home and I drove down with the Burgman in the back of my old Dodge pickup.
The Burgman wasn't exactly meeting my "need for speed", so I bought a new 2012 Kawi Ninja 1000 to zip around on. I never could fall in love with the bike and soon found myself longing for my old Hayabusa. The years slipped by and the Ninja sat in the garage collecting dust and I did most of my riding on the Burgman. One day about a year ago, while out riding the Burgman, it suddenly made some strange noises and then quit propelling itself forward. It turned out the drive belt had
broken at 18K miles and it would cost almost 3 thousand dollars to get it fixed. I ended up selling the Burgman for scrap.
Now, back to the story. A few weeks ago, I was taking my morning exercise ride on my bicycle and I rode past the neighbor's yard sale. Being always of curious nature, I turned around and went back for a look. As I was walking around the driveway looking at the various piles of junk, I said hi to the neighbor lady and started talking to her. Just then a big fellow came up and asked her
if the Hayabusa in the garage was for sale. She said "Yes, it's 3500 dollars". As he turned to go look at it, I told the lady, "It's SOLD, I'll take it".
She told the guy that was looking at it that it was sold and needless to say he was a little pissed. He stomped away muttering "I was there first". I told her it doesn't matter, it's the first person that agrees to BUY IT..!!! I came to find out the lady and her husband were splitting up, the 05 Busa was in HER name and she was selling it. We consumated the deal and she threw in a
brand new battery to boot. I rode it a little ways down the street to my house and commenced to start working on it. It was dirty beyond belief, even having some kind of paint or stain splashed all over the front of it. I had been familiar with this 05 Busa for quite a while and had stopped to look at it and talk to the husband several times. I knew it ran well and sounded good, but I didn't know he had neglected it in the past year or two. So, once again, I'm fixing and replacing things
trying to get the Big Girl back into shape. She's a joy to ride and I'm enjoying every minute with her..!!
Hope you enjoyed the story.

Nice story.

Do you have any pictures?
Pictures are worth a thousand words and documenting the process of "fixing" it up or before and after pictures are always
nice to have and worthy of you posting them for us to see too. Then we wouldn't have to ask you what color it is etc. :rofl:

Nice story.

Do you have any pictures?
Pictures are worth a thousand words and documenting the process of "fixing" it up or before and after pictures are always
nice to have and worthy of you posting them for us to see too. Then we wouldn't have to ask you what color it is etc. :rofl:

I know, I know, without pics, it didn't happen. :boohoo: I've got a few, which I will gladly share with you. When I get focused on a project, I tend to dive in and ignore everything else in the world until I'm done, which means I don't take many photos.
These photos include one of my original Big Girl, a shot of me with my new front tire on the back, heading off to the shop to get it installed on a cold morning, a pic of it in the driveway with the rear fender removed, a shot with the new under-tray/fender.
Also included is a shot of my new leather seat. I bought the leather on Ebay and had it installed at a local upholstery shop. It's VERY comfortable. Thanks for looking, enjoy. :)
BigGirl.jpg
20160303_094719.jpg
having just been installed and a shot of my new mufflers before I put them on. That's about all I've got so far.

IMG_6289.JPG

IMG_6296.JPG

00505_LIEHnVBi1I_600x450.jpg

IMG_6332.JPG

For those of you that are wondering about the plastics on my machine, the previous owner put 2003 plastics on it. For what reason, I don't know, but it IS a 2005 per the VIN and title.
BB

Great story. Wish I could find those types of garage sales. Lol! Hope you get here all fixed up.
What's the mileage on it?

Back