A story about my chicken strips and low flying little green men....

rashad

Registered
Here we go:

Getting the suspension dialed in has been a learning experience.. Im really starting to enjoy the bike and "get used to" the power curve... I mean really:

I texted Kevin. Kevin has a kawi green 636, bone stock. Kevin will pull away from just about anyone who hasnt done a track day, unless youre on a drag strip. Truly mastered the art of hanging off the bike; truly still learning but a very good rider on a very light bike.

I rode over and met him at his place, and after some grub, we headed off to hit 44 and 554(think amish paradise meets tail of the dragon).

On 44, Kevin lead, and on the first turn, leaned over to the edge of my CT2, the rear end hit the yellow line (not going fast enough for my lean, being a scaredy cat with the throttle)and it slid out.. no worries, no panic, dirt bike instinct... everything cool. Next turn, wheres Kevin!? Damn hes fast.

Once on 554, Kevin let me lead and watched me do my thing on the first run. He then critiqued me on what he saw:

"The bike is leaning very well. You aren't."

"huh?"

"you have no chicken strips.. NONE... that means you are going to lowside if you try to lean that bike any further. You need to hang off the bike more."

I will admit, the New Image seat is not designed for my ass to be sliding back and forth on it...but its doable.

Next run, I started to hang off..first a little....then some more.. then I went back into my bad habit and learned a lesson...

I came into a hot right hander (my weak side) and didnt hang off enough... the bike went over the yellow line for a second! I learned my lesson real quick.

Then it happened:

Fear dissappeared. It was replaced with concentration, as I thought about form and technique. Then speed started coming naturally, as if by some magic ballet of feel, smell, adrenaline and primal engine scream. I was doing it. I was getting better... the right way.

Not by trying to play catch up and then scaring myself around every shaky corner with no real agenda or form (read: not FUN)..but by non competitive, practice and repetition. I was taking corners higher in the revs, and it wasnt even conscious at first... using the throttle for control felt natural. My right ass cheek was the only part of me touching the far LEFT of the seat, and vice versa. My knee couldve touched the ground which is why I need leather pants and pucks.

The best part? Im on a Hayabusa. I can have as much fun as Kevin(almost)..and then go on a 400 mile trip. He was impressed how fast I was on such a big bike.(busas cant corner!:rulez::rofl:)

Im still learning. But man is it fun. I really would love to do trackdays, but I am thinking about getting a second beater bike for that. I am doing the one thing that scared the crap out of me in the beginning... Going fast around corners. But this time, I am doing it right. The chicken strips are only important to a point I am told. The faster you can corner with the bike still upright, the better control you have, and the better rider you are.

All in all, It was a good day.

-Rashad.

getting over that initial fear is pretty satisfying.. :) when you start laying blackies around the corners, time to head for the track however... :)

and I have seen some pretty fast guys with big chicken strips... but normally it is guys with chicken planks that just think they are going fast :laugh:

Last edited:
Im definitely not there yet.. no blackies!:bowdown:

But you are right.. i feel like I know something that most people dont.. and I have lived and experienced areas of feeling and adrenaline that MOST NEVER DO!

Most people die with their song still in them! Its either this or skydiving...man this has gotta be more fun and safer!

Motorcycles are definitely an elite tight club for those who truly understand.:beerchug:

skydiving is safer.... easily safer.... but I love both sports...

The story is the same every time you exit the door.. conditions might be a bit different but you are not dodging cars, oil, gravel etc... just the noise of the plane and that overwhelming adrenaline rush as the door pops open on the run... love the smell of avgas, aluminum and sweaty old gear in the plane on the way up... :laugh:

I think one of the biggest thrills I got was going out the door with a more experienced jump master (we were the last 2 out) and the plane came down with us about 400 yards away from us .. was the strangest feeling to watch the plane descend with us in a dive.... old plow horse 182 was pretty cool..

There are quite a few jumpers here.... I wish I had skydvr's experience...

Last edited:
Get some leathers, they will build even more confidence, and they are a must if you are going to drag a knee, actually they are a must no matter what, you will be glad you did.

The better you set up the corners the less you have to lean. Leaves you some tire to use if you need it.

Stay loose on the bars, forearms parallel to the ground. Get your upper body to inside of the centerline of the bike too. Don't slide your azz over then fight it by keeping your upper body centered.

I think being stiff armed and weighting the bars is the most common problem cornering. Unless your consciences of it you won't even realize your doing it. Tell yourself over and over in the twisties light on the bars. Then you'll see how much you really do it. I think that's why most riders struggle with down hill turns. The tendency is to lean on the bars on downhills, especially when off the throttle.

The better you set up the corners the less you have to lean. Leaves you some tire to use if you need it.

Stay loose on the bars, forearms parallel to the ground. Get your upper body to inside of the centerline of the bike too. Don't slide your azz over then fight it by keeping your upper body centered.

I think being stiff armed and weighting the bars is the most common problem cornering. Unless your consciences of it you won't even realize your doing it. Tell yourself over and over in the twisties light on the bars. Then you'll see how much you really do it. I think that's why most riders struggle with down hill turns. The tendency is to lean on the bars on downhills, especially when off the throttle.

excellent advice! I was doing that and wondering how to stop.. the weight on the bars..

I was trying to push up off the bars so i could move my weight back and forth.. I guess i need to use the balls of my feet more?

Bogus, that is awesome!

macon, I cant wait to get my first full suit!

Last edited:
All good stuff here.

We joke around about chicken strips but the reality is, if you're erasing your chicken strips on the streets, you're really riding much harder than you should be on the streets OR you're using very bad form. Good lesson for you to learn.

On the track? Different story! :D

--Wag--

did you like my thread title? It couldve been worse, I could have gone all Rocky and Bullwinkle on ya..

"When we return, Hanging off and out on Busa blvd..... or..... Corner carving with horse-carts crowding"

Well, I do not have chicken stripes either, I call them my safety stripes, usually 1/2-3/4 an inch but I still take the shortest line when riding with my more youthful sons and their little light weight bikes.( always in my lane though)

chicken strip= the far edges of the rear tire that arent being used if you arent leaning the bike all the way to the edge.

blackies= i would assume these are leaving black tire marks around corners..aka you need to slow down:laugh:

chicken strip= the far edges of the rear tire that arent being used if you arent leaning the bike all the way to the edge.

blackies= i would assume these are leaving black tire marks around corners..aka you need to slow down:laugh:

thank you :thumbsup:

Nice job!

skydiving is safer.... easily safer.... but I love both sports...

I did a tandem jump from 14,000 (chute at either 8,000 or 9,000) and when we got to the ground I was pumped until the guy told me how fast we were falling.

heh, you should have seen his face when I replied "dang, I've been faster on my bike" :laugh:

You need to slow down to learn how to go fast. Take the Busa to the track. It's safer there than on the street.

Back