A simple thanks...

Boosted Cycle Perf

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
So I took a long weekend off from my shop, and my night job to relax a bit, and finish unpacking since I moved over a month ago now. Most days I work 16-18 hours and I’m usually awake for at least 20 hours a day.

last night I finally got back on here, as well as all my social media outlets for the shop. I was surprised to see tons of messages from members on here, YouTube IG etc from guys thanking me for the direction I’m trying to go with pushing limits, and trying to put out a good product.

With everything I have going on, it’s been easy for me to put blinders on and not look around to see how some of the things I do help, and inspire others. To me, it’s just another day trying to do the best I can. Because the second you lose pride, or excitement in what you’re doing, the final product usually suffers. Then it because just a job.

I’m very humbled by the support you guys give me, and it pushes me to try even harder. So for that, I want to thank all of you guys. It truly means a lot.

Soon you guys will see some really cool stuff rolling out of my shop. I’ve recently brought on some help to progress day to day work more efficiently. He’s a good friend of mine, and if you’ve watched discovery channel, or hotrod tv Sunday mornings, you’ve probably seen him.

Anyways, thanks again fellas. I’m proud to be a part of this site with so many great members.

You inspire and help us Rob, without regard for personal benefit, and that tells me everything about you I need to know. Your love of what you do shines through, as does your knowledge and experience.You have gone out of your way to help members here, supporting you back is the least we can do! Keep on pushing and inspiring, we look forward to more big things...

One thing I gotta say Rob, please take regular breaks from work, you risk burning out with long 18 hour days and only 4 hours sleep.
Your input here and the fact that you share your hard won knowledge on turbo building and tuning is so appreciated!
Thanks for the inspiration and all that you freely give. Just be sure to have plenty of rest and recreation to balance it all out.
:beerchug: Kiwi.

I along with all the other appreciate what you do. Sometime you have to humble yourself to give credit and thanks where the credit and thanks are due. Keep doing what you are doing and you will continue to have the support of the busa army.

So I took a long weekend off from my shop, and my night job to relax a bit, and finish unpacking since I moved over a month ago now. Most days I work 16-18 hours and I’m usually awake for at least 20 hours a day.

last night I finally got back on here, as well as all my social media outlets for the shop. I was surprised to see tons of messages from members on here, YouTube IG etc from guys thanking me for the direction I’m trying to go with pushing limits, and trying to put out a good product.

With everything I have going on, it’s been easy for me to put blinders on and not look around to see how some of the things I do help, and inspire others. To me, it’s just another day trying to do the best I can. Because the second you lose pride, or excitement in what you’re doing, the final product usually suffers. Then it because just a job.

I’m very humbled by the support you guys give me, and it pushes me to try even harder. So for that, I want to thank all of you guys. It truly means a lot.

Soon you guys will see some really cool stuff rolling out of my shop. I’ve recently brought on some help to progress day to day work more efficiently. He’s a good friend of mine, and if you’ve watched discovery channel, or hotrod tv Sunday mornings, you’ve probably seen him.

Anyways, thanks again fellas. I’m proud to be a part of this site with so many great members.
Is it ever your goal to just run a shop full time?

Is it ever your goal to just run a shop full time?

I’ve decided that this year will tell that tale. I’ve basically been working two full time jobs for the last 8 years. But mainly 16-18 hour days have been the last two years. I’ve pretty much have worked myself in to isolation from friends and family, and honesty something has to give.

I have 15 years in to a job that I hate, and with my background in industrial electrical there’s MANY places I could walk in to and double my salary. But that would also take me away from home and my shop for weeks at at time. But, I’m 15 guys away from being laid off, so that might help sway my decision a little bit. Honestly I wouldn’t even mind.

I pride myself on having a steady shop full of turbo Hayabusas, or Hayabusas soon to be turbo. I’ve worked hard to get to the point where I can cherry pick the “I had my bike at shop X and now it runs like crap, and has melted pistons” jobs. I enjoy the challenge, but those bikes generally stay around the longest, and usually don’t pay out much in the end.

So if I wanted to go full time, I’d have to be a bit more open to those, but also open to all makes and models. Which also means bringing on help. I know lots of guys locally that are good all around mechanics, but the biggest problem I’ve had with guys working for me is being reliable. I offered a summer internship last summer at the local high school, but kids now don’t seem to have any interest in working with their hands aside from a cell phone. Then I get emails from guys that graduated from MMI wanting a job, but think that they’re entitled to $25+ an hour and have zero experience. Then I’ve had guys get mad because I double check their work by putting a wrench on critical things like axle, caliper, and engine bolts.

There’s very few large well know performance minded shops. You’ll notice if they are one, they’re usually a manufacturer of parts too. To me, that seems the only way to remain a performance minded shop, and be profitable. That’s the direction I’m pushing towards this year. I think I’ll know really quick if I’m going to sink or swim in that arena. You guys will see what I’ve been working on soon.

So you all see, it’s not a very cut and dry answer. Yes I would love to work at my shop full time. But it would have to be doing the type of work I love to do- most the time.

In case someone is going to ask what am I going to do if this year doesn’t pan out, here’s this. I could never just walk away and not work on busas. I’ve been doing this for so long, and well known that people are always going to find a way to get in contact with me. I’d still do dyno tunes without a doubt. But I’d really limit myself to only two projects at a time. Stuff like someone brings me a stock bike for an rcc kit, or a custom fab job. I’d probably outsource engine builds as those contribute to a lot of stress for me. Just keep it simple. And of course, still hang out here with y’all.

I would definitely get another job without a doubt. And I would actually love to have time to work on my own bikes/cars, and actually go out to race and enjoy them.

But I’m feeling optimistic and look forward to see how this year works out. I think big things are still to come for BCP.

sorry for the kinda personal rant there.

As you know, sometimes when your passion becomes a job, the passion can fade then it too becomes drudgery....you are facing a real cross roads.

A good friend of mine was a motorcycle mechanic and found himself getting sick of motorcycles because that's all he saw or did day in and day out. He quit the trade and his love for motorcycles returned enough that he started wrenching here and there again...

I know lots of guys locally that are good all around mechanics, but the biggest problem I’ve had with guys working for me is being reliable. I offered a summer internship last summer at the local high school, but kids now don’t seem to have any interest in working with their hands aside from a cell phone. Then I get emails from guys that graduated from MMI wanting a job, but think that they’re entitled to $25+ an hour and have zero experience. Then I’ve had guys get mad because I double check their work by putting a wrench on critical things like axle, caliper, and engine bolts.

There’s very few large well know performance minded shops. You’ll notice if they are one, they’re usually a manufacturer of parts too. To me, that seems the only way to remain a performance minded shop, and be profitable.

It took me a long time to learn that people are unreliable and will never treat my project like it is theirs. Even paying the good rates that vendors command does not mitigate this problem.

The green techs who are only thinking about achieving the hourly rate that their school so irresponsibly promised them are in for a great awakening. They merely need to read articles on the plight of automotive techs today, and even analyze the strikes like the recent one in Chicago. They have no idea how great an opportunity it would be to work in your shop versus getting "steady work" (and many times it is not actually steady as advertised) at a motorsports dealership.

OEM vehicle makers have no interest in fixing vehicles. They all want to replace our vehicles by selling us a new one. The entire environment is a caustic battlefield for the person who enjoys troubleshooting and being hands-on. Those greenies will learn this the hard way.

Most people are risk averse and that presents a great problem for a small shop entrepreneur looking for workers. What a shame that school essentially eviscerates the individuality right out of people who were otherwise born to be extremely daring. Everything one does for their first several years is brand new to them. But get out of school and we mold right into a corporate cog for the steady pay.

I wish you luck. For the opportunity to work at a custom shop, with such an awesome reputation that everyone here admires greatly, LOL, that would be like striking the lottery.

Back