a simple observation about amsoil

jch364

Registered
Im not trying to start another oil war. I just wanted to relay an observation I had about amsoil. My bike is an 06 and since break in i have used mobile 1 mx4t,not the racing 4t for 38k miles. I have had no issues with the mx4t oil and as far as i can tell its been a great oil. That said though, i cannot find the old mx4t any longer. all that is out now is racing 4t which is not the same formula despite what mobile 1 says. They reduced some of the friction reducers in the oil. So after doing some research i decided to go with amsoil 10w40 synth. for motorcycles.

After I changed the oil my first observation was that the idle on the bike went down around 150 to 200 rpms. I found that very interesting. It suggests that the amsoil is doing a better job and reducing friction better than the mx4t did. I havent noticed anything in the shifting area yet as i havent had a chance to get much seat time but i will be keeping an eye on that as well. I would have to say though that i didnt really think i had any problem with shifting before but i dont have anything to compare it to untill now.
one other thing i noticed that was obvious was that when i changed the oil in the past and started it up, it was always have a loud valve tick for a few seconds until the oil got circulated. no big deal but i noticed that the tick was totally gone when i changed to amsoil. it was quiet and smooth at start up following the oil change with no valve tick what so ever....

again just an observation but i found it interesting nonetheless.

I went from the Mobile to Amsoil just to try because i could get it for about the same price. I didnt notice much difference, but i had only used the Mobile for 5k miles before i switched.

After I changed the oil my first observation was that the idle on the bike went down around 150 to 200 rpms. I found that very interesting. It suggests that the amsoil is doing a better job and reducing friction better than the mx4t did.

If it reduced friction it would have spun faster not slower. Probably unrelated anyway.

hmmm. u may be right about that. guess i didnt think about it long enough..:laugh:. probably right though about not really meaning anything. hmm. just reading too much into it im sure:poke:

Amsoil is the best find the white sheet report on amsoil's site...I have had customers swap all their oil uses to amsoil after 1 service of using it in their bikes...they use alot of the stuff amsoil has now..

idle dropped due to the amsoil coating the parts not polishing them...

OK AS SAID IN THE BEGINING OF THIS THREAD. "LETS NOT MAKE IT AN OIL W:rofl::poke:AR!"

Not wanting to argue or comment on oils, but if the idle slows down, it would be due to more friction. If it speeds up then that is due to less friction.
Just saying....

Last edited:
Maybe when you where changing the oil and forgot to buy the filter wrench again you banged your head of the idle adjustment knob....lol.... JK:banghead:

Not wanting to argue or comment on oils, but if the idle slows down, it would be due to more friction. If it speeds up then that is due to less friction.
Just saying....

That was my thinking, but all kinds of things (weather , warm up ) could have made a 150 RPM delta...

Mobil One Racing 4T is still live and well.

I'll just add here that I'm not a motorcycle or automotive mechanic, but I try not to mess around with the oil much. In my '06 I ran Zuki 10 40 and Zuki filters, doing the same with the '08. I have no doubt that the synthetic oils are better, but I followed the maintenance schedule and never had an issue, never needed to adjust valves, etc. on the '06 at 36K miles. I often see guys running the synthetics changing oil at decreased miles vs. the maintenance schedule and just don't understand it unless they race the bike all the time. Synthetic oil should at least double the schedule in my mind, if you're just riding normal duty.

Make sure the oil has the same makeup is what I've always been advised. That's why I just never change what I'm running with. Also, make darn sure you check the manual for oil no nos :whistle:

If the valves didn't make noise immediately after the oil change it had nothing to do with the brand of oil. It would need time to circulate the oil up into the valvetrain. If it was quiet, it would be due to the Mobile 1 still doing it's job until the Amsoil got up there and flushed the Mobile 1 out of the valves.

Even the best oil can't defy gravity.

Read the first post

It's a Gen1 ----BA Busa.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a built-in disclaimer, I'm golden...........

Back