A race against time...

880jedi

Registered
Yesterday was all planned. Leave work at lunch because I was attending the Robert Plant concert at the Greek Theater in Berkeley at 8:00pm. I got home and took a nice nap, put on some cologne for the ladies that were going to be hanging all over me after the show, and took the car over to Bayfair BART around 4:30pm.

I've done this routine a few times before, so not much planning needed, and the need to only bring a heavy coat because it's an outdoor event, and a small blanket to sit on, because it's a concrete sitting surface. I got on the Richmond bound train and made it to the Berkeley (Downtown) station around 5:15pm.

I walked up Center St to my favorite restaurant for a pizza dinner and a glass of wine. The cute server was from Brazil and she melted my heart with her accent, and I flirted with her with my bad jokes and smile. Now it's time to start the long arduous walk up the hill to the concert venue. Not an easy task with a full belly and wearing shoes that look nice but not made for a long hike. Boy would I pay the price for fashion later.

Took the usual route through the Cal campus, and I'm always amazed at the structures inside the property. Some modern, most showing their age, but the Tower is always larger than life. Kind of a landmark that steers you to stop and admire it every time. The choices on which way to get there are many, but as long as you are going uphill, you'll make it to the Theater. When I got there, I was hot and sweaty from the exercise and being full from dinner. I laughed at myself for carrying such a heavy jacket and now feeling like a Sherpa, but it can get real cold after the sun sets.

Found my seat, and was glad I had purchased two tickets, but had no one to take to the show. It was very cramped for everyone around me, but I was quite comfy owning enough real estate to not be elbow to elbow with my seating neighbors. I had a friendly husband and wife to my right, and two younger girls to my left. Some casual greetings for everyone and it looked like I was going to be surrounded by good folks instead of drunken fools, (which drives me crazy). There was certainly the smell of ganga in the air and the beers were plentiful, even at $8.00 a glass.

The concert was top shelf. I have seen Robert Plant many times, even back with Led Zeppelin. This show was a simple stage and lighting was minimal, but it was about the live music experience for me. He played some new stuff, and broke out a few oldies, which the crowd always seem to enjoy. His band members were equally on their game, and the show just put me in a few hours of forgetting all my troubles and had me with a big grin most of the night. I'm looking forward to his next show, that's for sure.

The show ended around 10:45pm, and now the cattle drive to exit the venue was starting. A quick stop to the bathroom, and out the doors to walk back to the BART station began. My usual thing is just to follow the crowds, as to knowing the actual route is really not needed, just play follow the leader.

Then it became a race against time.....

I was just walking downhill following a group, but little did I know that was a group going somewhere other than where I wanted to go. I was now in unfamiliar surroundings, but figured all paths would end up on the main drag (which was Shattuck Ave). Now it was around 11:15pm, so I just kept walking. The group had split up, so now I was alone, but it was by no means desolate. The number of college kids walking the streets was fascinating. Must be a college town for sure, I thought. There were many food businesses still with lines of kids waiting to get midnight food. I continued to walk hoping to see something that I recognized, but no joy. I walked for six blocks in one direction, only to see it get quieter and darker, so I made a u-turn.

After wandering for about a 15 minutes, I started to look at my watch. How late does BART run? I know they stop running sometime after midnight, so now I began to think of a backup plan. What if....? I was now getting a bit frustrated with myself, and the nervous sweat was making me very uncomfortable. I finally came to a bus top that had a map. Score!! I found myself on the map, noted that I was about 8 blocks away, but time was running out and I had to pick up the pace. Now my feet were sweating and a blister was starting to make walking fast very painful. Damn shoes!! I went 4 blocks, and to my horror, the street I was supposed to turn on never showed up.

Oh great, now I can't even read a map? I suck. What did I miss? Turns out I was 180 degrees off because of the way I orienteered myself to the streets. Now once again I lost. Time was 11:55pm. Then I remembered that the Crackberry has a navigator function. I set it to find my location, but it said,"Searching for Satellites". ****!! Don't search for anything but me, damn it. I walked some more and finally came to a coffee shop with a gentleman sipping coffee. I asked him where is the BART station, and he said, "About 10 blocks that way". Crap. I'm dead in the water now. Plan B activation needed. Take a taxi to the station? Might be pricey, but if I'm too late, it will be a taxi all the way home. That will only cost my left arm. Just walk fast and hope for the best.

Now the thoughts of failure were entering my head and getting the better of me. No crying now. I'm still wandering in a hostel environment. No protection except my pocket knife, and my body is tired. I walked and finally found the BART station, but I didn't see anyone entering or exiting the doors. It was past midnight now, so I wasn't happy yet.
I went down to the trains and saw a few late night souls, but I heard a train leaving, and thought if that was my last chance, and I missed by just a few minutes, I was going to be madder than a wet hen.

Then I was the billboard saying that the next Fremont train was in 18 minutes, and the last one was in 34 minutes. I was safe, but certainly wounded. How can a grown man get into such a mess? I guess I was too comfortable with doing this event before that I had no worries. I let stress enter the picture and it got the better of me. I try to avoid these things with good planning, but I hadn't really thought how to handle this one. I made it home with the memories of a great evening that ended with a twist, but I survived to tell about it. Whew!! :laugh:

I wouldn't walk acorss the street to see a live concert of anyone...Much less go through your ordeal. Just think, you could have taken a pleasurable ride on your bike or spent some wrench time to make it better and saved yourself the agony and lost absolutely nothing.

I just watched the LIVE telecast with a few friends and some brewsty's on my cumfy lounge, all in HD and 7.2 sound perfection. That would have been a better idea for you. :whistle:

Just tease'n ........ Great story, you had me on the edge of my seat (lounge) :laugh:

Back