A Quest For Brakes

Registered
Ok so I've started to save for a gen 2 brake upgrade. I'm digging deep in the archives for any and all info pertaining to this mod. I don't do track days or drag. Just lookin for some more stopping power and less sponge feel for when I'm two up with the wifey. I'm coming from a vfr w/abs and that thing was tits when it came to stopping. The busa just flat out lacks in this department to me. I'm a little confused on the Kawasaki retro fit to the busa (master and calipers) are they a direct fit? Will that setup fit my needs? Or do I go suzuki factory brembos w/ the rcs19 and remote reservoir? And lastly..am I just way off? Will ss lines, rotors and pads be all I need while saving coin for the next episode? Thanks guys. I value your experience and suggestions.

My brakes are OEM except for braided SS lines and EBC HH pads. The addition of the pads alone made a huge difference in stopping power, huge. I've heard that the GenII brakes are better but I can't imagine how, but, I've never ridden one.

I just did pads as ss lines. Also rotors but I don't think they made much difference one water or another. I would start with pads and lines and see how you like it. If you still want more just keep adding until you get to the point where you feel comfortable.

The ZX14R radial master fits if you have a flat bar set up and is a MASSIVE improvement , lots more feel and stopping power.

Most MC won't fit with stock bars. I tried many upgrades, one at a time to see what improvement they would make. Started with HH pads, added SS lines after that. After a month or so, replaced my MC with a brembo 19rcs and bought gsxr1000 monobloc calipers and I now can say that I have awesome brakes. I'm not an aggressive/fast rider, but I love good brakes. I know everyone has their own opinion, but I would get the brembo MC, SS lines and HH pads. You will smile every time you grab the brake lever.
Just my 2 cents.

Depends on what you want to spend, but it would appear you could make modest improvements as you go along in the following order:

- better pads (inexpensive)
- SS lines (fairly inexpensive)
- better MC (larger investment)
- Better Calipers (larger investment)

I'll be placing an order with Pashnit next week for pads and lines. Brembo MC is 3 bills, and used Brembo cali's are running around 4 bills. I need to do some more homework on the MC options out there. But I'm fairly sold on the monoblocks. If I do go monoblocks are there Brembo specific pads? Or do they utilize the same footprint as stock? Thanks for all your time and input guys. I just wanna do this right the first time.

Nissin calipers from 06-12 ZX14R, Braketech rotors, Brembo 19x20 MC, HEL Kevlar brake lines, SBS Sintered brake pads and Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid.

Way better feel and response. But it also brakes way better now. 1 finger braking. Confidence inspiring.

I have posted this several times but will again: 1.) Suspension is where good braking starts. When you hit the lever the bike needs something to "push" against while transferring all the weight forward. So if you want to fix the brakes then this is step one. 2) Next is SS or Kevlar lines and HH Pads. I have Kevlar, don't think they are any better than the Speigle lines they replaced. Lines will tighten up the lever feel. 3) MC. A good MC will improve feel and power. The stock calipers are acceptable street brakes with good pads. Radial MC's are going to have better feel generally, so any radial will be an improvement on the stock thing. The nice thing about the Brembo MC is you can change it's hydraulic advantage on the brake piston. This allows you to totally change the feel of the brakes from touch them and instant stoppie to a lazy touring brake feel. Riding with the buds on the street just turn the adjustment a couple turns to the left, going to the track do a couple turns to the right - that simple. 4.) Calipers. I love Brembo. They look trick and really are awesome brakes. The 108 mm's are very good, HP's awesome.

Numbers 1 & 2 will get you acceptable street brakes. Add 3 & 4 and you will have brakes as good as any out there. Nice is you can do this in stages:

Stage 1: Lines and pads $200 or maybe less.
Stage 2: Brembo MC $400 + $100 for new brake lines (stock ones probably won't fit) Also $50 for a hydraulic switch (vortex)
Stage 3: Calipers $1,000 to $1,800 + $100 for new lines again

What pads are you planning to order from Pashnit? There are LOTS of choices.
The EBC HH pads are one route.
Next would be the EBC EPFA
Next would be the GPFA

If you want a moderate braking upgrade from stock then try the HH pads.
The EPFA is between these two. Strong braking but with less initial bite of the GPFA. (I prefer this pad)
If you want a big initial bite of braking with continued strong braking the GPFA. (This pad has a strong initial braking feel)

Plus 1 with getting your suspension sorted first I had mine tweaked for me by Dave Moss and as fallenarch has said that's where the improvement starts. My flat bar kit came with braided lines which gave marginal gains, then went radial M/C and for me im quite happy where im at now. My bike is stock.

Thus why I have Ohlins. Totally agree with that.

IMG_20111224_202136_2.jpg

Last edited:
I have to agree as well with suspension being a big key. I just have lines and pads and with my suspension set it has made a huge difference. I was very lazy about tuning the suspension on this bike, went about a year before doing it. Then kicked myself for waiting so long after doing it. Absolutely everything improves when the suspension is set properly. Would love to be able to drop a few grand in a nice Ohlins setup, but it's just not in the cards right now.

Plethora of information! I'm still waiting on my bursig to show up to replace fork seals. After that I plan on setting up the suspension. Then it's HH pads and lines. Followed by a brembo MC. Im gonna run the stock calipers for now. From what I'm hearing they should suit me just fine. Thanks for the advice and time you guys have provided.

Anyone do the suspension first? I wonder if the stock brakes were tolerable with the suspension fixed? Anyway Pashnit can hook you up on all of this from Brembos to Ohlins, that's where I got mine. Also this is pretty easy stuff to do. But have a pro do suspension adjustments. Trying to adjust suspension from a book or instructions is like trying to play a Fender with no practice. It's an art. Pay a suspension guy to set you up, you will be very happy.

Back