A pre-black friday thought for yall

chrisjp

GM of Haya's in the Hills
Donating Member
Registered
As black Friday approaches and the Christmas shopping excitement builds, remember those less fortunate than you and have to WORK on thanksgiving to satisfy corporate america greed. Most because they cant afford NOT to/ loose their jobs if they don't. That is why i will enjoy my thanksgiving with my family as there is NO material thing i need that much i need to EXPLOIT my fellow american worker!

(i know i wrote this and posted on Facebook earlier when i was at work and thinking about this but felt i needed to post it when i got home here)

sadly as long as folks continue to shop during those hours they will continue to open at earlier/crazier times. Short of legislating that places cannot be open on Thanksgiving or Christmas or other holidays, the ability for stores to dangle those carrots for shoppers looking for "deals" I suspect we'll continue to see holidays for those in retail continue to erode. I worked retail while I was in school and the first chance I got to jump from it I did. Its a crap job 90% of the time and horribly crap during these times of the year.

I feel for them losing out on Thanksgiving and think its the wrong direction for companies. That said, I really have no sympathy for anyone complaining about black Friday...on Friday. Stores opening at 3 or 4 am Friday IMHO is "OK". Its been that way for over a decade now, probably longer and it is just a part of working retail. Anyone going into that type of work and thinks perhaps they will get around it is crazy. If you don't have seniority you are gonna be the one there at O dark thirty. I would suggest that any such retail associate that does not enjoy those working conditions, use that as a motivator to find a job doing something else that allows for a better schedule/standard of living. But I agree, corporate America is putting folks in a bad spot by being open on the actual holiday day.

I am going to do my best to not shop at any of the "early open" stores at all this holiday season.

my goal is, and has been for years, to not darken the door of any stores for shopping for presents, certainly not any "super sale" days. The internet is a great thing :thumbsup: (and I've only got 3 more things to buy :cheerleader: )

working at a 24/7 pharmacy, i know i am going to be there through the holidays and don't mind for those who burned themselves trying to deepfry a turkey, sliced their hand open trying to put a dollhouse or bike together, or are there to pick up medicine for a child or elderly person who has become sick at the worst of times...the ones that chap my hide are the idiots who come in for a bag of chips and a soda who then look at me and say "wow, i can't believe they make you work on the holiday"...my typical response is "they wouldn't if people like you didn't come in" :lol:

I have only recently (last 12 years) been able to take off for Thanksgiving on a normal basis, finally got enough seniority. I still try not to go to any stores or do anything other than take a little ride.

It does stink. I worked at ToysRus for a couple of years and trust me EVERYBODY worked!! Managers, District managers, even the VP for the whole district was there running carts from the parking lot to the store!! You better have a really good excuse for not showing up (like being on your death bed). But it is a toy store and you got to expect you are going to have to work crazy hours at Christmas time. Last year I had to be there at 7pm on Thanksgiving to help get the store ready. There were customers already lined up and had been waiting since mid day. We opened at 9pm. CRAZY!

I've had to work on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years before. It really doesn't bother me that much. I'm more thankful that I have a decent paying job, and realize there are more less fortunate than me.

It makes me appreciate the finer things in life when you know you work to get them...

My girlfriend will be spending her first "Black Friday" at my parents with me in Florida this year after 8 years of retail hell. I saw this quote on Facebook, seems like this a fitting place.

Black Friday: Only in America would people trample others for sales; exactly one day after being thankful for what they already have!

chris, some of us work in an industry where we "DO NOT" shut down, or the people who are at home would cry. When I worked in the oilfields I was asked why do you work on holidays? Easy answer. Shut down the pumping units and and the well will not make up that lost oil when it is fired back up. If we all were to shut down the oil refineries and oil fields for holidays it would take a few days to get back up to speed, and production would suffer. Those at the pump would ***** about the lines at the pump. Some of us work to help keep things normal for those that can have the option, take the time off, or have a job that shuts down for the holidays.

I now work in the power generation industry. I make electricity. So, I too would love to be home with my family on the holiday. But I can`t. See, if I, and all the other power generators were to shut down for every holiday, people would cry. You would not have pretty Christmas lights to look and smile at. You would not be able to cook that big ole turkey. People would cry.

Think of all the LEO`s that have to work and keep the bad guys at bay. If the LEO`s were not out there, people would cry.

It is not by choice for some of us. It is a requirement to protect, to produce, and to generate, so that people can have a good time and enjoy their holidays.

No gas, no LEO around to keep the bad guys in check, no electricity and GOD forbid no football. People would cry.

Enjoy your Holidays folks. Eat and enjoy your time with family. For in the shadows, there some of us that "HAVE" to work so that the rest can enjoy their time off.

:welcome::welcome::santa::rudolph::watching:

^^^ Bo...I can smoke my turkey so you can keep your stupid electricity. Wait, I need my football so you best be at work!

chris, some of us work in an industry where we "DO NOT" shut down, or the people who are at home would cry. When I worked in the oilfields I was asked why do you work on holidays? Easy answer. Shut down the pumping units and and the well will not make up that lost oil when it is fired back up. If we all were to shut down the oil refineries and oil fields for holidays it would take a few days to get back up to speed, and production would suffer. Those at the pump would ***** about the lines at the pump. Some of us work to help keep things normal for those that can have the option, take the time off, or have a job that shuts down for the holidays.

I now work in the power generation industry. I make electricity. So, I too would love to be home with my family on the holiday. But I can`t. See, if I, and all the other power generators were to shut down for every holiday, people would cry. You would not have pretty Christmas lights to look and smile at. You would not be able to cook that big ole turkey. People would cry.

Think of all the LEO`s that have to work and keep the bad guys at bay. If the LEO`s were not out there, people would cry.

It is not by choice for some of us. It is a requirement to protect, to produce, and to generate, so that people can have a good time and enjoy their holidays.

No gas, no LEO around to keep the bad guys in check, no electricity and GOD forbid no football. People would cry.

Enjoy your Holidays folks. Eat and enjoy your time with family. For in the shadows, there some of us that "HAVE" to work so that the rest can enjoy their time off.

I feel your pain or pleasure which ever it may be. You forgot some important people though.
I was an EMT/ Fire fighter for 10 years and even as a volunteer during the holidays we some of had to man the station so others could have time off. I also worked field service and companies do their shutdowns around holidays to work within union contracts. So for many years I spent EVERY holiday (Christmas, New Years, 4th of July etc.) Away from my family.

Can't shut down the hospitals, airports, fire houses, prisons, wars, military, etc etc etc.

Just say a thank you in a prayer for those who are away from loved ones. Yes many are there by choices they made. But remember it can't always be someone elses kid or family member.

the post is in support of/ thoughts for the retail sales stores that do this to their workers...it is not in response to "necessity" industry's. as its the retail including toys are us that do NOT have to open on thanksgiving except for greed. The retail sales is well known for its low wage and cutthroat policys towards its employees. you will find there are going to be and already have been walkouts by employee's of these "major" chain stores and even folks protesting in front of the stores to remind people its a HOLIDAY. save your greed for material things for "black FRIDAY"

Agreed on all counts. I missed the new year's ball drop a couple of years ago because I was stuck getting deconned so I could clear the personnel contamination (radiation) monitors. I forgot my static guard spray... Anyone who has worked nuke knows what I'm talking about. :laugh:

This will be my 11th year in a row working black friday(Bestbuy), they originally had us coming in at 11pm thanksgiving night, now we're coming in at 10pm, I've forgotten what it feels like to stay at home on the day after but I got bills to pay so I gotta make that money.

Sent from my hayabusa!

I get thanksgiving and Christmas off, just work the previous Sunday to get s day ahead of things. I then spend the holiday being grumpy and mad that I've got no family to see. I truely hate the holiday season. Bah humbug!

Working that night, going without sleep to make two Thanksgiving get togethers :laugh: I gots bills :banghead:

Back