A Piece of Childhood History Is Gone

Flicka

Professional Booga Flicka
Registered
View-Master 3-D travel reels head into the sunset

By DOUG WHITEMAN

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Amber LaPointe's introduction to one of the country's greatest tourist attractions came from small square pictures on a white wheel.

"It was like you could look into a world away," said the 28-year-old from Toledo, Ohio. "My only image of the Grand Canyon was from the View-Master."

The iconic reels of tourist attractions, often packaged with a clunky plastic viewer and first sold to promote 3-D photography, are ending their 70-year run after years of diminishing sales.

Collectors like Mary Ann Sell of Maineville, Ohio, are dismayed.

"The whole summer I was 5 years old, before I went to school, I traveled the world via View-Master. It was great, and now kids won't have the opportunity to do that," said Sell, 57, who owns upwards of 25,000 scenic reels.

Scenic discs are no longer a good fit

for the Fisher-Price division of toy maker Mattel Inc., a spokeswoman said, and the company stopped making them in December. Fisher-Price, based in East Aurora, N.Y., will keep making better-selling reels of Shrek, Dora the Explorer and other animated characters, spokeswoman Juliette Reashor said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

Peering at images shot from the top of the CN Tower in Toronto or the rim of the Grand Canyon could induce vertigo, they were so vivid. Elvis Presley's "jungle room" at Graceland is on a reel, and Mary Tyler Moore used the toy to check out vacation spots on her eponymous TV show.

Mark Finley, general manager of View-Master scenic reels distributor Finley-Holiday Films, insisted the souvenirs — which inventor William Gruber debuted with backing from a postcard company in 1939 — still can appeal to children.

But Clinton Brown of Columbus, who will turn 4 on Sunday, gave the View-Master that his mother, Karina, bought him a clear thumbs down.

"It's boring," he said, his mother's fond childhood memories notwithstanding.

Toy industry analyst Sean McGowan with Needham & Co. said View-Master has been in decline since its heyday in the 1960s and 1970s.

"That's not what the kids are looking for in the back seat of the car," he said. "They're looking for a DVD that plays on the back of Daddy's seat."

Based on its limited shelf space in stores, McGowan estimated View-Master brings in less than $10 million a year, compared with overall revenue of $5.92 billion for El Segundo, Calif.-based Mattel in 2008. Finley said the shops at Yellowstone National Park typically sell 8,000 View-Master sets each year for up to about $13 each.

McGowan found the scenic discs' cancellation sad but not surprising.

"When I was a kid, everybody I knew had a View-Master, so you could sell (the reels) everywhere," said McGowan, 48. "Hardly anybody has it anymore."

Associated Press writer John Seewer contributed to this report from Toledo, Ohio.

viewmaster.jpg

I wish I could trash a line just because it was only bringing in 10M a year... this just opens the door for a small business.. oops sorry , tax breaks are gone...

I remember those, sad to see a 4 year old even know what the word "bored" IS! When you're 4 aren't you supposed to have an imagination?

TV is killing our brains.

i loved the ones i had as a kid and picked up one for my daughter a year or so ago.

guess there's always eBay...

those were neat back in the day, but nowadays it's all about the ipod & crap...can't afford to drive around the country roads (if you can still find a good one, everything seems to be paved over)like when I was a kid.

That is sad. My five year old has a new version that he got when he was three. He has the Nemo and some dinosaur discs.

I had one when I was a kid. I would sit there for hours until my brothers came along and then I had to hurry cause they wanted to use it.

ifiuidyyv hjjjdh jhkchkjg hsjhdgjbkshjhhdfj.kfkdjj,lndkfm f,.;fmdfkkmDKDFF8BHMKGJVGH/Hjdxfjvhjfjhjvjfgjfhffvffhnbfgfh/tkfrjfghrhglfjfgrjt76rjht8458eh9une84uhrjjjerhgh.fhfhhgfhdgfdhgdf fjzhhcx cjd d ddc dfhdhhghgh.fgvyggdggf ruyfuhggf./fgrhfhgfjrjfr/djhfhfgh?nvbgnhjmnmfjhjfh8u3u748jjfhgn ffiifhjgnf fjhfjrjfhhjhfjhjfgjh.jsgdghdhffghhrjhgf;dhhfhhjff['efjfbgf[fghrtkrgjhgr=fgmt974h4ybrffhghhgjg.ygffdfdggfgfhggutdyryreytfhbghthghgjhjhkjkhjjjhk:moon::cheerleader::bowdown::beerchug::whistle::laugh::rulez::poke::rofl:

Back