It is disgusting .

And makes me very angry .

The real hero is your sons girl .

Good for her to go her own way !

Thanks for sharing this story with us !

:super:

#Disgusting ~ #Nword ~ #PersonalAccount ~ #RaceRelated ~ #THEoRg *

Last edited:
Boy, am I about to open a can...because I'm going to be honest.

As a Father of a Daughter: I love my Daughter more than anything in this world. I would not want her to be in a mixed marriage (of any race or same-sex either) for identical reasons. Way too complicated. But I would never disown her, and would always be polite to him and his family. I was also a soldier; just because I feel that way about my child does not necessarily mean that I ever carried that over into my military career. Some of the best soldier's I've ever served with were of a different color than I, but civilians don't understand that most soldiers work hard to only see army green. Just because he doesn't want his daughter in a mixed marriage doesn't necessarily automatically convict him of prejudice in his job. In this case maybe so, but don't automatically assume that's the norm.

Now, do I think that's over the top? You betcha. Disowning my child would be impossible for me. So I'd have to accept and tolerate it. Doesn't mean I'd embrace it.

For those of you who want to immediately jump on this to label me, go ahead. When it comes to my Daughter, my loyalty lies in her well being more than any one else's opinion. And don't think that's one-sided, because there are plenty of examples of people of other races who feel the same way.

Having said that, my heart goes out to that girl. I have a nephew whose wife was disowned by her parents. He's a good man, they just didn't approve. It really hurt her, but she is building her life with her new family, and someday those parents will regret what they've done.

As a Father of a Daughter: I love my Daughter more than anything in this world. I would not want her to be in a mixed marriage (of any race or same-sex either) for identical reasons. Way too complicated. But I would never disown her, and would always be polite to him and his family. I was also a soldier; just because I feel that way about my child does not necessarily mean that I ever carried that over into my military career. Some of the best soldier's I've ever served with were of a different color than I, but civilians don't understand that most soldiers work hard to only see army green. Just because he doesn't want his daughter in a mixed marriage doesn't necessarily automatically convict him of prejudice in his job. In this case maybe so, but don't automatically assume that's the norm.

Now, do I think that's over the top? You betcha. Disowning my child would be impossible for me. So I'd have to accept and tolerate it. Doesn't mean I'd embrace it.

For those of you who want to immediately jump on this to label me, go ahead. When it comes to my Daughter, my loyalty lies in her well being more than any one else's opinion. And don't think that's one-sided, because there are plenty of examples of people of other races who feel the same way.

Having said that, my heart goes out to that girl. I have a nephew whose wife was disowned by her parents. He's a good man, they just didn't approve. It really hurt her, but she is building her life with her new family, and someday those parents will regret what they've done.

Well, honestly goes a long way....and appreciated.

The actions of the person in question (OP post) do relate to bigotry, anyone who went to the extreme to which this person did could be construed as nothing but racism. This person most likely tolerated being with mixed races while serving but, the underlying feelings would have been there all along. Those feelings would either consciously or unconsciously affect how he dealt with persons of color-scary thought if this person was in a position of authority.

In today's society, mixed relationships of all races are the norm and not the exception as they used to be. Good you wouldn't disown her as you might find yourself in a situation where your fears could become reality.

First, thank you for being honest.
Second, it troubles me that you think that a person's race is so significant that you wouldn't want your daughter to marry someone from a different race, no matter what type of person he was. On an intellectual and academic level I find these types of sentiments interesting, but on a personal one they sadden me.
Third, your dedication to your daughter is admirable, and the fact that you would be willing to accept and tolerate something for her sake says a lot about you.

There is no place for bigots and racists in today's society. The world is much smaller today thanks to social media. People can reach out and touch somebody in seconds..

I never understood the whole "burning the cross" just because someone is a person of color...this makes little sense to me personally...is this something which is still a thing?

It is an alien concept to me as well but I think it is because both of us are Canadian and things are quite different up here. This country has its racial issues as well but they are more centred around First Nations peoples and more recently middle-Eastern refugees than the typical white vs. black issue found in the USA.

I was born in 1970 and growing up in a major city, my classmates were always a mixture of different cultures and races. The variety was normal and I didn't think anything of it. It wasn't until later in life when I was exposed to world media that the idea of "racism" became a thing.

Humans are tribal by nature though and living in groups of similar people with similar values was what helped us evolve and prosper. We needed that security for basic survival and it served us well. However, that was a very long time ago and that village mentality is now a liability in this global world. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks though.

Thanks for sharing Tached, the more that we see that we're all made from the same stuff, the better it will be for everyone.

When I was child of about 4 I guess it was.

My dad got transferred to the south for work. Specifically Ms. One of the family friends he made there was a fellow by the name of John Proctor.

I remember waking up to mom screaming FIRE and dad running down the hallway out the front door. I rallied behind him to see what an inquisitive 4 year old tended to want to see. In our front yard was a burning cross and a group of white hooded men leaving the scene. Dad had to put the fire out himself. The fire dept never responded.

Totally perplexed, I asked dad what is going on. Never mind son go back into the house now.

Then we have John Proctor back to our house having private conversations with both my mom and dad.

Then he sat me down with my parents in tow and told me that we were friends of his and some people were angry about that. He also explained that they didn't like that I played with black kids. They were my daily best buddies. Nobody ever told me it was the KKK or why for about 3 years.

Finally dad and Mr Proctor told me that the reason we were marked for a cross burning was because Mr Proctor was the agent in charge of the civil rights workers that were killed there. He broke that whole case open and discovered the bodies in the dam and made several arrest. So we were labelled as sympathizers to the blacks. It is a memory I will always have.

That story reminds me of a book I read years ago called Letters from Mississippi about Goodman Schwerner and Chaney. Everyone should read it.

AA used to mean Alcoholics Anonymous....I have never considered this acronym to mean anything else.

I was trying to use the current PC term. PC=Politically Correct

Acronyms are bound to get confusing the more new ones that come into use. There's only so many letters and an infinite number of words. Isn't that why we invented that thing called spelling!! LOL

First thing that I think of when I see PC is Power Commander. Politically correct and personal computer are no longer acronymable.

someday those parents will regret what they've done.
That about sums it up no matter what else you might think. Your children are the biggest responsibility you ever have and if you shun one of them, you will have to admit to yourself someday it was you who was wrong.

Good honest opinions from all directions here. Very thought provoking.

I think it's interesting that the parent would put so much effort and love into raising a child properly then not respect their choice? I could see if my daughter brought home a redneck that treats her like a dog, but if it's a good respectful kid that gets that a family costs money and a relationship takes work my trust in her would make me believe in whatever she sees in them.

It's possible the father's problem in the OP's post is that he sees the daughters selecting a black man as her rejecting him and his ignorance. Maybe that's a lot of what it was?

I had a white girlfriend in high school and I was by far the most gentlemanly young man she had ever been with. Funny but my parents didn't approve of her, but hers didn't seem to have a problem with me. And given where I ended up and where the white guy she married ended up (in jail) she would have been much better off with me too. I remember my father talking to me about it, and how dangerous it was in 1979 to be with a white girl - but he never forbid it and they were nice to her. We broke up when I went away to school, and she married whoever was willing and available as soon as I left. I actually ran into her a few years later and that was an interesting discussion!

I think it's interesting that the parent would put so much effort and love into raising a child properly then not respect their choice? I could see if my daughter brought home a redneck that treats her like a dog, but if it's a good respectful kid that gets that a family costs money and a relationship takes work my trust in her would make me believe in whatever she sees in them.

It's possible the father's problem in the OP's post is that he sees the daughters selecting a black man as her rejecting him and his ignorance. Maybe that's a lot of what it was?

I had a white girlfriend in high school and I was by far the most gentlemanly young man she had ever been with. Funny but my parents didn't approve of her, but hers didn't seem to have a problem with me. And given where I ended up and where the white guy she married ended up (in jail) she would have been much better off with me too. I remember my father talking to me about it, and how dangerous it was in 1979 to be with a white girl - but he never forbid it and they were nice to her. We broke up when I went away to school, and she married whoever was willing and available as soon as I left. I actually ran into her a few years later and that was an interesting discussion!
Amen to that brother.
Someone who understands PARENTING properly. Thank you!

Willie. I seem to remember you saying in another thread that you were raised with a father telling you that white people can't be trusted. They will take everything from you (blacks). Could this not have been part of his conflict with her? I mean your father practiced his version of racism if that story I recall is correct. And as we all know we aren't born hating something. It's a learned emotion. Taught by many sources. Parents being a source of a lot of childhood teachings.

Willie. I seem to remember you saying in another thread that you were raised with a father telling you that white people can't be trusted. They will take everything from you (blacks). Could this not have been part of his conflict with her? I mean your father practiced his version of racism if that story I recall is correct. And as we all know we aren't born hating something. It's a learned emotion. Taught by many sources. Parents being a source of a lot of childhood teachings.
A lot of whites seem to hate us simply because we exist. My father on the other hand didn't like most whites because of what they have done to him in his life.

My parents main problem with her was that she might get me killed just by being with her.

As for not trusting whites that was our experience, not racism.

A lot of whites seem to hate us simply because we exist. My father on the other hand didn't like most whites because of what they have done to him in his life.

My parents main problem with her was that she might get me killed just by being with her.

Yeah, hasn't every one seen To Kill A Mockingbird?

Applying past experience to white (or any other) people you don't know based solely on the color of their skin is racist. I understand what you're saying, and why it happened, but I want to be clear about how individual racism works.

Applying past experience to white (or any other) people you don't know based solely on the color of their skin is racist. I understand what you're saying, and why it happened, but I want to be clear about how individual racism works.
With all due respect, its prejudice not racism. Racism is a systemic condition based on a need to control. Prejudice is more or less ignorance, often from an anecdotally derived perspective.

Careful my friend, one should not trade peace for truth, less you become a part of the lie.

There's more than one type of racism sir. Institutional racism is indeed what you described. Individual racism, however, is the act of attribution of qualities observed in a person (or persons) to all people of that race. Any individual can be racist.

There's more than one type of racism sir. Institutional racism is indeed what you described. Individual racism, however, is the act of attribution of qualities observed in a person (or persons) to all people of that race. Any individual can be racist.
BTW my friend there is only one kind of racism, it just manifests itself in many ways. Sometimes when you study things you over complicate them.

I agree with you and believe that completely.
And yes you are right - there is no real reason why whites hate blacks other than for the colour of their skin!
The blacks haven't done anything to us.
But we still dislike/hate..etc em!

Back