about you ( Tached )
before reading this .

Based on your posts ,
things you say / talk
about doing . . .

Call me crazy .

:banana:

Last edited:
I suppose a number of us have memories of bigotry and racism but for me, one stands above the rest. It happened when I was only 10-11 in a tiny middle school in southern Idaho. It was in the largest city in the state, and to this day, probably the only town from Boise south to have more than a handful of black folks. A black boy I befriended was spanked almost daily by the only male teacher in the school for...stuttering. That’s right, stuttering. On the playground I got into a fight with a white boy who made fun of him and the teacher wanted me to shake hands with him. When I refused I was made to walk the perimeter of the playing field during recess and lunch w/o talking to anyone. Nothing happened to the other kid. No one was to speak to me either. I knew then, at my young age that this wasn’t right. Why didn’t the adults know? Stuff like this didn’t just happen in backwards states either. We moved a lot and in junior high in southern Cal, I ran into similar crap when I dated a Mexican girl that was blue black, she was so dark. Beautiful skin color. The bigoted little white boys called her n..... and me a n..... lover. Had a few fights there too. Kids learn from their parents. Sadly it will take generations to ride ourselves of such ‘teachings’.

When I was child of about 4 I guess it was.

My dad got transferred to the south for work. Specifically Ms. One of the family friends he made there was a fellow by the name of John Proctor.

I remember waking up to mom screaming FIRE and dad running down the hallway out the front door. I rallied behind him to see what an inquisitive 4 year old tended to want to see. In our front yard was a burning cross and a group of white hooded men leaving the scene. Dad had to put the fire out himself. The fire dept never responded.

Totally perplexed, I asked dad what is going on. Never mind son go back into the house now.

Then we have John Proctor back to our house having private conversations with both my mom and dad.

Then he sat me down with my parents in tow and told me that we were friends of his and some people were angry about that. He also explained that they didn't like that I played with black kids. They were my daily best buddies. Nobody ever told me it was the KKK or why for about 3 years.

Finally dad and Mr Proctor told me that the reason we were marked for a cross burning was because Mr Proctor was the agent in charge of the civil rights workers that were killed there. He broke that whole case open and discovered the bodies in the dam and made several arrest. So we were labelled as sympathizers to the blacks. It is a memory I will always have.

There is no place for bigots and racists in today's society. The world is much smaller today thanks to social media. People can reach out and touch somebody in seconds..

I never understood the whole "burning the cross" just because someone is a person of color...this makes little sense to me personally...is this something which is still a thing?

She's lucky to have you. I was going to say I think you're going to have to take the high road and ask that her father allow you all to present yourselves for what you really are so that he can retain some dignity. I don't think even that will ever work. This is one of those things that never gets resolved until the end of life when you let go of your ego and remember you have a family. I wish you all the best. I hope the guy comes around someday.

Excuse my ignorance...what is an "AA" person?
Yeah, what is that?

"Urban Dictionary: AA only It means African American only and is typically used in personals."

? African American??

I had a couple black GFs back in the day and the issue of race and family always came into the picture. Too bad because one of them would probably have been a great wife for me. One old friend I still keep in contact with. LOL now that I'm 53 and divorced my mother asked "is she nice?" LOL little late now I think.

Yeah, what is that?

"Urban Dictionary: AA only It means African American only and is typically used in personals."

? African American??

I had a couple black GFs back in the day and the issue of race and family always came into the picture. Too bad because one of them would probably have been a great wife for me. One old friend I still keep in contact with. LOL now that I'm 53 and divorced my mother asked "is she nice?" LOL little late now I think.
Yes I guess I'm behind the times. AA means African American. Its hard to keep up. The community seems to shift in what they wish to be addressed with some regularity. She was fine with being called back. I was trying to use the current PC term. PC=Politically Correct

I'm hurting, sympathetic, relieved and proud all at the same time while reading this thread. I'm a product of a similar situation, have been in this situation as an adult, am watching a similar situation unfold in my niece's life, and as some of you know, race is my area of professional academic interest. We have to be able to honestly and openly discuss the subject, and we have to face our own prejudices and assumptions along the way, no matter how uncomfortable doing so may make us. It's a complicated, tangled subject, but if we are truly committed to reducing tensions between communities and willing to engage in purposeful dialog, progress can be made.

Back