pashnit

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
A friend asked if I wanted to jump off a perfectly good bridge, attached to an elastic tether known as a bungee. She was a cute redhead and had a Porsche. The decision wasn’t difficult. Now being young, jumping off a perfectly good bridge with a cute redhead sounded like great fun for a Friday night. All the other kids were headed out to the bars & clubs, we were headed into the mountains to jump off bridges. Our plan sounded way more fun.

The bridge we planned to jump off was the Eleven Pines Bridge over the Rubicon River. The bridge is 150 feet over the Rubicon River in the canyon below. A few feet of water in the river below us would protect us if something went wrong.

This activity is quite illegal of course but that wasn’t going to deter us. To lessen the chance of being noticed partaking in our nefarious scheme, the jump would be at night in the dark. My friend with the long red curls picked me up in her ’76 Porsche 914 and we headed into the Sierra Nevada Mountains. We had some written directions to the meet spot which I compared against a paper map in my lap. The directions took us up Wentworth Springs Rd to Eleven Pines Rd. Arriving at dusk, we waited for the sun to set providing darkness to conceal our illicit activity while revealing the glow of the Milky Way in the crisp mountain sky above.

Forcing my body to reject all logic and reasonable thought, I jumped into the thin mountain air while an immediate thought flashed across my brain, I just jumped off a perfectly good bridge, the second thought that occurs to you is abject adrenalized fear as your body accelerates at 32 feet per second according to my then physics professor, Mr. Doyle. We were told we’d get about 1.5 seconds of free fall as it would take a total of 3 seconds to hit the ground. The second half of that 3 seconds was for the bungee to stretch to its maximum elasticity and then shoot us back into the air. The math said we’d be traveling 66 mph when we hit the ground, so despite my new-found enthusiasm for jumping off bridges, the tiny remnant of my logical brain said accelerating 0-60 in less than 3 seconds was quite unnatural.

After the two jumps, Hot Girl with the long red curls and Porsche 914 invited me to jump off the fourth highest bridge in the United States, the nearby Foresthill Bridge. At 730 feet high, it offered an alluring full three seconds of free-fall.

All new article posted on California Motorcycle Roads: Wentworth Springs Rd

More>
106_0693.jpg

A friend asked if I wanted to jump off a perfectly good bridge, attached to an elastic tether known as a bungee. She was a cute redhead and had a Porsche. The decision wasn’t difficult. Now being young, jumping off a perfectly good bridge with a cute redhead sounded like great fun for a Friday night. All the other kids were headed out to the bars & clubs, we were headed into the mountains to jump off bridges. Our plan sounded way more fun.

The bridge we planned to jump off was the Eleven Pines Bridge over the Rubicon River. The bridge is 150 feet over the Rubicon River in the canyon below. A few feet of water in the river below us would protect us if something went wrong.

This activity is quite illegal of course but that wasn’t going to deter us. To lessen the chance of being noticed partaking in our nefarious scheme, the jump would be at night in the dark. My friend with the long red curls picked me up in her ’76 Porsche 914 and we headed into the Sierra Nevada Mountains. We had some written directions to the meet spot which I compared against a paper map in my lap. The directions took us up Wentworth Springs Rd to Eleven Pines Rd. Arriving at dusk, we waited for the sun to set providing darkness to conceal our illicit activity while revealing the glow of the Milky Way in the crisp mountain sky above.

Forcing my body to reject all logic and reasonable thought, I jumped into the thin mountain air while an immediate thought flashed across my brain, I just jumped off a perfectly good bridge, the second thought that occurs to you is abject adrenalized fear as your body accelerates at 32 feet per second according to my then physics professor, Mr. Doyle. We were told we’d get about 1.5 seconds of free fall as it would take a total of 3 seconds to hit the ground. The second half of that 3 seconds was for the bungee to stretch to its maximum elasticity and then shoot us back into the air. The math said we’d be traveling 66 mph when we hit the ground, so despite my new-found enthusiasm for jumping off bridges, the tiny remnant of my logical brain said accelerating 0-60 in less than 3 seconds was quite unnatural.

After the two jumps, Hot Girl with the long red curls and Porsche 914 invited me to jump off the fourth highest bridge in the United States, the nearby Foresthill Bridge. At 730 feet high, it offered an alluring full three seconds of free-fall.

All new article posted on California Motorcycle Roads: Wentworth Springs Rd

More>
View attachment 1634345

Obviously the moral of this story is be careful around redheads :thumbsup:

....I thought this was going a whole different direction...maybe jumping onto a red head on a bridge.....:lol:

As for bungee jumping...no thanks....I'd rather have a nice comfy parachute...

So I was wondering after you jump and the bungee has done its work how do you get back up to the bridge? Does someone wait at the bottom? Are you close enough to the ground with your weight on the bungee to jump down to the ground?

So I was wondering after you jump and the bungee has done its work how do you get back up to the bridge? Does someone wait at the bottom? Are you close enough to the ground with your weight on the bungee to jump down to the ground?
As it was mentioned it was an illegal site, I reckon getting down would be different if the cops were coming, in that case it would be some guy with a set of bolt cutters.....

I did watch a show where they were bungee jumping and the bungee was attached to a crane of sorts which would lower the whole system down via a cable...

The bungee company had built their own mini gantry designed for the Eleven Pines (Ellicot) bridge made out of bar stock. They pulled it out of the back of a pickup truck and it slid down over the armco barrier along the bridge. There was a pulley attached, and they pulled us back up and we jumped again. But then again it was night and we had no idea if the gantry was built out of chewing gum and duct tape.

The Bridge
eleven-pines-bridge.JPG

The armco barrier we stood on & jumped
eleven-pines-bridge-2.JPG

And no cops. This bridge is really remote (at the time, Wentworth Springs Rd was a dead end for pavement) so we were 20 miles up a dead end road in the mountains and there's nobody up there. Lookouts were posted 1 mile out on the north and south sides of the bridge with walkies. They'd radio about any vehicles headed for the bridge & the bungee company were toss the gantry and all their bungee lines into the back of the pickup and pull off the bridge. There wasn't a single other vehicle and we were out there for hours.

So, now you know how to run your very own bungee company. :)

Last edited:
Back