A PASHNIT ride through Central California!!

An effort to photograph the GSXR, playing with different angles can produce very different styles of photo. Difficult to tell from the pics, but it's a tiny motorcycle, and amazing that it's a 1000cc motorcycle in a such a small package.

Img_8665-GSXR.jpg

Down low, looking up

Img_8666-GSXR.jpg

Later that evening, we were met by Dusty (back right) who lives in San Luis Obispo & has ridden with our groups before. He's also worked for me as my graphic artist and does incredible work! Behind the camera is Ed, who's the only Tug Boat Captian I know. He was up from LA riding on his Triumph with lady-friend Mary. Ed's also ridden with us before and we got a chance to catch up.

Good Times.

Img_8667-Group.jpg

Day 2 dawned with Yours Truly getting into the depths of my wiring to get Frank set up with an Autocom Communication system. On the tours, we bring along a self-contained AutoCom(s) that I could just hand to Frank- all it requires is power from the bike, and a few minutes to wire up the headset inside the helmet. After pulling the spare power wire (from Powerlet Products) off my Hayabusa (which powers the Hayabusa's on-board Air Compressor or any other electrical accesory), he was good to go and could converse with Tim & myself.

Img_4421-hands.jpg

Photo by Bob

Tim getting ready to ride

Img_4426-Tim.jpg

We were joined by Alex who came on his Kawasaki Ninja 250.

Img_4428-Alex.jpg

Blake was another rider that joined us on this day. He was on a DR400 with dual sport tires- which again reinforces my 'Pashnit Mantra' that It doesn't matter what you ride- Just come and Ride! Great bike for this region of California which is teaming with goat trails! Blake is a student over at Cal Poly.

Img_8764-Blake.jpg

Alan is another local rider from Morro Bay who rode with me back on the July 4th Pashnit Ride (another really enjoyable Pashnit Photo Thread). Alan is a Physical Therapist with a practice in nearby Morro Bay. He also came to ride for the day with the group!

Img_8774-Alan.jpg

Erik lives a few miles north of San Luis Obispo & came aboad his super clean Kawasaki ZZR600.

Img_8779-Erik.jpg

After gathering up all the riders, it was time to do a quick safety brief, review the route together for the day, and then it was off.

Img_4431-Map.jpg

Alex and Tim on Central California's Highway 58 You might notice Alex is a pretty big guy. About 230 on the lil Ninja 250. A few months back, I had written an article about a 700 Mile Ride I did on a Kawasaki Ninja 250, and that it had really influenced him to start out slow and work his way up he'd mentioned to me.

Since I wrote that article, I've gotten that same message several times from riders that've bought the Ninja 250 after they read about the owner of the Pashnit Hayabusa recommend the Ninja 250 to new riders. The most interesting story came from the USS Nimitz serving in the Persian Gulf, where my article about my 700 Mile ride was integrated into the ship's Safety Information for new Motorcylists.

Img_4432-Alex.jpg

Ayumi on the GSXR1000

Img_4435-Ayumi.jpg

Last edited:
Frank riding up on the R1- which is completely stock (other than no hugger). So can you tour on anything? Frank seems to think so.

Img_4436-Frank.jpg

Frank riding on the Yamaha R1. Highway 58, if you're not familiar, has a terrific combination of twisty sections, long desolate straights, and two low mountain ranges it traverses. It's one of the darlings of Coastal Central California and a must ride if you are in this particular region.

Img_8739-R1.jpg

Alan & his BMW R1100S.

Img_8743-BMW.jpg

Img_8744-BMW.jpg

Bob revealing all my secrets on getting these shots.

Img_4439-take-pic.jpg

Last edited:
The Road Ahead - the Wonder of Central California's Hwy 58. How I marvel at roads like this.

Img_8747-Hwy58.jpg

Alright, let's ride!

Img_8752-Bob.jpg

Last edited:
Pashnit Riders setting off to assail Hwy 58

Img_8751-riders.jpg

An attempt on film to capture what that 'Wonder' is all about. Where can you go to get a scene like this? Desolate, deserted, and some very long straights indeed!

Img_8755-Hwy58.jpg

Bob's shot of Highway 58's whoop-de-doo's! Have to be careful with the speed or you'll get some air. I purposely went over these leaning over the front wheel to make sure the front wheel didn't come off the ground.

Although at one point, I stopped for a photo, then accelerated away a little too hard and the front wheel started to come off the ground at about {censored} mph.
muscle.gif

Img_4442-Hwy58.jpg

Ayumi's view of Highway 58

Dscf0026-Hwy58.jpg

Last edited:
Headed off to the Temblor Range - after some very long straights it's up and over the range through a very twisty section of dreamy pavement.

Img_8762-Hwy58.jpg

The view along the road...

Img_4443-Hwy58-hills.jpg

Tim cruising along

Hwy58-1-tim.jpg

Photo by Alex

Unfortunately, we soon learned at sustained speeds on the DR400, its range is significantly diminished. Blake ran out of gas at around 90 miles. Since we carry a shiphon hose for just this occurance, we transferred some fuel and were soon on our way!

This siphon hose btw, I bought at the local auto parts store and cost a mere $2.50. A real lifesaver in this desolate region of California!! It's a little more compact than the MSR Fuel Canisters I've also carried.

Img_4445-gas.jpg

Back