A Panoramic Journey

Awesome Craig! Trip down memory lane.

For those curious, Craig integrated a Pashnit Motorcycle Tour of the Sierra Nevada Mountains into his ride up to WA- mine as well do a little plug for that ride in case you'd like to learn more, the Tour Description link is here - Clicky. First time we'll do that ride in 2009 will be June when there's plenty of snow in the mountains and the waterfalls in Yosemite are flowing! That ride is always full since it's the first time we can get up and over the passes & the roads are clear. Everyone is itching to ride! :thumbsup:

What type of photostitch program are you using? It does very well if you're doing it manually. Mine is the original PhotoStitch program, works great, but time-intensive. Everytime I look at your pics, I think man, I need a new camera. :laugh: Great lens you've got on there.

What an epic trip, Craig. Absolutely inspirational.

:beerchug:

Thanks for taking the time to share them; it's a big effort and I, for one, am really grateful.

Again, your pix are amazing. Very, very well done, bro.

:beerchug:

Thanks everyone! More in 09 to be sure...

Tim - That High Sierra trip was extraordinary! Did you change it much after that first tour?

As for panoramas, there was a program called Panorama Tools (PT) that was the best, but you needed a doctorate in order to use it. One day some smart guy turned it into something mere mortals can use: PTGui. I've tried others (Photostitch is good too) but nothing comes close to PTGui. Most of the panos on here are >7000px across in the original files, and each took only a minute to stitch on an MacBook Pro. Highly highly recommended, and very much worth the 80 Euros.

Awesome shortBoarder, very lovely ride and wonderful pictures.:thumbsup:

Only if you could tell , what shooting gear you have and which software for editing the pics , how long did it take to edit the pics ? BTW do you have high resolution pics uploaded anywhere ,they make wonderful wallpaper stuff .

Thanks for sharing .:cheerleader:

Last edited:
Awesome shortBoarder, very lovely ride and wonderful pictures.:thumbsup:

Only if you could tell , what shooting gear you have and which software for editing the pics , how long did it take to edit the pics ? BTW do you have high resolution pics uploaded anywhere ,they make wonderful wallpaper stuff .

Thanks for sharing .:cheerleader:

Thanks dude!

All of these were taken with a Nikon D70 with either a 18-70mm zoom or a 10.5mm fisheye for the ultra-wides (Ahlwanee Lodge). Software: Adobe Lightroom to catalog + develop, Photoshop for final touchup, and PTGui to stitch the panoramas. Right now, I don't have hi-res stuff up anywhere...I'm working on a photo area on my site now.

You don't need a bulky digital SLR to take good photos. Earlier in 2007 my camera was in for service and I ended up shooting this trip entirely on my wife's $250. Canon point-and-shoot.

If you're looking for camera gear, look no further than Ken Rockwell for the straight dope.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I spent some younger years in Lassen CO. Thanks for the pics! Makes me want to ride them mts for the first time on two wheels.

All I can say is Wow, very nice indeed. Thank you so much for sharing those wonderful pics. :beerchug:

Thank you, timing was great, 6" of snow outside and 19 degrees, Christmas evening.....great pictoral after a fun day with my new X box, steering wheels and gran prix racing! (while the kids played Rockband II upstairs on the Wii). Doyle

Thanks dude!

All of these were taken with a Nikon D70 with either a 18-70mm zoom or a 10.5mm fisheye for the ultra-wides (Ahlwanee Lodge). Software: Adobe Lightroom to catalog + develop, Photoshop for final touchup, and PTGui to stitch the panoramas. Right now, I don't have hi-res stuff up anywhere...I'm working on a photo area on my site now.

You don't need a bulky digital SLR to take good photos. Earlier in 2007 my camera was in for service and I ended up shooting this trip entirely on my wife's $250. Canon point-and-shoot.

If you're looking for camera gear, look no further than Ken Rockwell for the straight dope.

Thanks for reply :super:

Back