A NEWBIE EXPERIENCE:2000 miles later

KFORCE1

Registered
:cheerleader:

So here I am back again! A newbie on a joyous 2000 mile mark that I hit ealier today. Still having as much a blast as the first day I rode my big bird from the dealer in Ohio to MD. I enjoy this forum so much and I've learned alot from here.

I must say this bike is beyond awesome. After the first service at 600 mile, I noticed a smoother more powerful beast lied within it's wings. I'm still taking it easy as a beginner and I'm constantly aware that any mistake here could be costly. Only thing I don't like is trying to gear it down to first gear sometimes from a stop is a pain. Other than that it is great in all other areas.

Safety is always on my mind. Yesterday on my way home from work I had my first emergency brake experience. While cruising along on a major road at about 50mph, some nitwit in a hurry coming in from a side road decided to just make his turn right infront of me. I squeezed the brakes hard till I felt the rear wheel start to lock. I quickly slowed down to about 2 feet away from the left side of his rear fender. Boy was I glad I didn't lock it completely! There was another car behind me that was forced to apply emergency brakes as well. Whew!! I was more angry than I was panicked. I chased him down and went right beside him and made some hand signals that would translate to words that should never be uttered loudly:firing:. Earlier that day when I first went out riding in the morning, the first thing I did was go to a parking lot near my house and brush on some skills. Guess what I practiced the most?!! EMERGENCY BRAKING!!! I'm glad I did because I was able to handle the situation calmly. And when I felt the wheel locking I just eased of the pressure slightly to maintain control.

Other than that crazy experience I totally enjoy my Busa. After having and practicing on a 07 zx6r for two months and then stepping up to the Busa I can say the initial practice on the zx6r helped me be more confident to handle the Busa. Would I recommend the Busa for a first Bike?? Even with my newbie self doing so well on it so far I suggest do the MSF course and get a smaller bike and practice! practice! practice! However, depending on an individuals self control and desire to be a safe rider, the Busa can be ridden by a newbie. Like I said earlier, I'm still taking it easy and don't want to be over confident at all. I see guys in 600s zooming past me and my feelings ain't hurt. My beast may be meek but she is not weak:bowdown:. I have however hit a top speed of 125mph on a long empty stretch of highway:thumbsup:.

Only mods so far are a dark smoke puig windscreen and the Suzuki gel seat. Future mods are powder coating the rearsets and installing brocks alien head full sytem with power commander. Anybody know any good powder coating place in DC/MD/VA?

Thanks to all on the org!! Keep me in your prayers for many more enjoyable miles.

twothousand1.jpg

175ponies.jpg

Congrats on practicing vital skills. I do that every time I haven't ridden for a few weeks or more. We become complacent and lazy if we don't take it seriously.

Get yourself a headlight modulator and the cars won't pull out in front of you anymore. I run headlight modulators and Back-off taillight modulators on both of my bikes. I haven't had a close call like that since I started using them.

:cheerleader: something we all should keep practicing is life saving skills

Congrats on the save! I have learned a new method to deal with stupid cages. KNOCK THERE MIRRORS OFF! Ahahaha Just one quick swipe with a closed fist will rip that thing right off!

Glad you were able be so smooth in that situation! I'm sure the earlier practice helped.

:thumbsup: I never took mine back for initial service, do you think they turned up the wick? I'm getting close to 10,000. Only improvement I made was BT16's. Brakes can get you, good job.

you said breaking to start locking the rear, but what about the front breaks they are your stopers if you were breaking full out then the rear should not have been a question it should have been nearly floating.... and about the first gear thing... down shift and motor break and then a quick clutched blip and a drop to first and it will be smooth and easy for sure

Yes, be shure to practice smooth emergency stops with the front brake.
Also, smooth but fast counter steering. Nice to see the respect for safety. :thumbsup:

that happens all the time here.. im going to start carrying a small hammer like the hardcore chopper guys and take off some mirrors..... they dont use them anyways.

Practice control, both riding skills and self control. It's sad but most cagers don't even realize that they almost killed you. Yelling, gestures and busting off their mirrors will not change the fact that they didn't see you. If it makes you feel better then go ahead but I don't think you're gonna change their driving habits without shedding some of your own blood.

Practice control, both riding skills and self control. It's sad but most cagers don't even realize that they almost killed you. Yelling, gestures and busting off their mirrors will not change the fact that they didn't see you. If it makes you feel better then go ahead but I don't think you're gonna change their driving habits without shedding some of your own blood.

True! I hardly get road rage when I encounter bad drivers even when driving my car. This time though my blood was boiling with anger but I realise maybe he just did'nt see me in the hurry he was in. It was my way of venting it out but it may have been useless and perhaps even potentially dangerous to do so. I thank God I was safe. That should be enough:please:

Back