'A new chapter': US officially ends Iraq war

214 Busa

Registered
Reporters Notebook: Panetta Formally Ends U.S. Military Mission In Iraq | Fox News

My thoughts of the Iraqi War! As a currently active servicemember which has been involved in both the Afghan and Iraqi wars since day one i'm glad to hear the official word that this conflict has been declared as over and my fellow servicemembers can now return home to their families and start their own chapter of rebuilding of their lives. Welcome Home

The thing that irritates me most is how interesting this is not even the headline story on many news pages. Bush went in with a bang, but had no plan to get us out. Ten years later we finally left very quietly and without celebration. By comparison, Ronald Reagan picked battles that were easy, meaningless and over quickly (Grenada, Panama). When American soldiers were threatened, he simply removed them (Lebanon)....i liked how he handled business but yet he is thought of as exercising American military might. The other thing that pisses me of is the the way that U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said it was worth the price in blood and money, as it set Iraq on a path to democracy......are you kidding me. I guess thats easy to say when he's never had to deal with a Haji looking to kill him just for the sake of Allah. If you remember correctly our " Mission" was to remove Saddam Hussein from power. Gee, I thought it was to take away his Weapons of Mass Destruction (which were never found). Funny how the mission kept changing, it changed to the point where me personally had lost track as to why we were in that crappy country and yet with the support from our nations people, me and my fellow brothers and sisters dug in for the long haul.

In my opinion, the Iraq debacle was an embarassment. The world watched as the war ruined our economy, further destabilized the Middle East, watch government contractors get rich and destroyed the lives of 4,500 families. Too bad our politicians were so worried about Iraq and neglected America. Iraq was done to secure economic entitlements through oil. Those economic entitlements should go into paying off the cost of this war first, before any private profits are allowed on the books.

This is a great and long over due national Christmas present. Though I do have to strongly disagree with Mr. Panetta's assessment. Iraq wasn't worth a single drop of our military's blood and wasn't worth a single penny of treasure. Every dollar spent was wasted and lost. Every single casualty was in vain. Panetta should be offering an apology to the US, not justifying this misadventure.

So as I reflect back on this war, a couple good things did come out of it and they were the death of a dictator and his sons and the George Bush legacy has finally been put to rest. Only time will tell on how this one will play out, the Iraqi people, due to us, now have a new chapter in history and history will judge America for giving it to them. In my opinion this one was a mistake from the beginning plain and simple. I'm sure the violence will return, in which we will have to pull out the remaining DOD employees working the palace size embassy compound not alone watch the infrastructure collapse. The Sunnis versus ****ies is a issue to where somebody will have to go back in and put out that fire along with the Iranian influence will also be a issue. So in the end did we actually win this war???

As a 19yr vet that has served proudly for the United States of America keep in mind that wars never really end for the troops who endure the worst horrors, not captured on camera, they just tap that 30 round mag of 5.56 on their kevlar, reload and transition into the next phase. Let's hope the American public pays attention and has a say so in the next conflict.

thank you for your service....we all need to remember...our leaders have strayed from the path of whats good for this country as a whole for alot of years now.....what are we as citizens....going to do about it?

Thank you for your service. Sorry but I don't buy this end of war we're all coming home thing. I believe its just more campain propaganda and we will still have toops over there in harms way. They just won't be calling it a war anymore.

It's a classic example of "mission creep". We went in with a plan to remove Saddam's regime, yet we had zero plan for what we were gonna do with the entire country (and all it's problems) once that was accomplished (sounds just like Obama and Libya, don't it?). But once we were there, we had to stick it out. I'm glad we showed the courage and resourcefulness to finish what we started (even though it may well deteriorate back into civil war now that we are gone). Hindsight is 20/20, and who can speculate as to where we'd be right now if we hadn't done what we did. Might have been the lessor of two evils. Saddam is gone, the Iraqi people have a chance at self-destiny, our military (although stressed) is probably at it's best trained and proficient time since the end of WWII, and everyone in the world knows they had better think twice before messing with the USA. Not to mention some additional security stability in our need for oil. I think Afghanistan is the tougher nut to crack, as none of those cavemen seem to understand any concept other than killing each other and abusing children and women.

While history may judge the US as making a mistake (and, maybe not we will see), what would have been a bigger mistake would have been to tucked and run (Lebanon) - every other country in the world would look at the US as being a weakling - something I think we could ill-afford. Look how long it took us to remove Vietnam from our psyche. We won ever major battle there, but still come out feeling like we lost because we failed a basic tenant of the law of war - use our full measure, instead we half-assed it.

What our country need to remember is, that we should look at military action as a) the weapon of last resort (and I think we did that in Iraq), and b) that there clearly is a threat to our national security at stake (and if you don't think oil is, then you are a fool). I'm not sure humanitarian reasons are enough justification (Somalia, Libya).

Question is: Is Afghanisatan in out national security interest? My answer is No. The only reason we are there is because we are pissed off at 9/11, otherwise we'd let those goat-herders kill each other all day long. It's a shame what they do to each other (and women) in the name of religion (but really because they are still living in the 12th century) but that's not our problem to fix until they are willing to help themselves. I saw we play 'whack a mole' with Afghanistan - let the Taliban come out of hiding, and blow the living crap out of them, and repeat.

We lost a lot of good people, some of them our bravest and brightest. Others will carry this with them in their nightmares the rest of their lives. Thanks to all who put their name on the dotted line for their country. Like a marathon runner, it's time for us to come home, lick our wounds, heal up and get back into shape for whatever lies next ahead of us.

laughed my sack off when i saw that announcement on the news that the war was over. shouldnt have been there in the first place, no winners and once again the united states walks in ,, flexes it muscle accomplishes very little and gives the rest of the world one more reason to hate them.. to the guys and girl who serve thanks for doing a job i wouldnt want ,,to the people who make the decisions to go to these places maybe your time would be better spent in your own backyard..

While I concur our reasons for entering Iraq were, at best, manufactured reasons, there are good arguments to be made that the world in general - and the Middle East in particular - is much better off without the presence of Saddam Hessian.

That having been said.... he was not worth the 4,477 American lives lost. :banghead:

While I concur our reasons for entering Iraq were, at best, manufactured reasons, there are good arguments to be made that the world in general - and the Middle East in particular - is much better off without the presence of Saddam Hessian.

That having been said.... he was not worth the 4,477 American lives lost. :banghead:

While losing even one is sad, you don't know how many we could have lost if he'd gotten ahold of a nuke...every one of those 4,477 - was a volunteer...and speaks volumes about what kind of citizens we have (especially when compared to those whiners at OWS).

civil war there within 6 months. you can bet on that.

they have been fighting in that part of the world for thousands of years. the US military going in there for 9 years isnt gonna change that. now they can blow each other up with roadside bombings vs. our soldiers.

While losing even one is sad, you don't know how many we could have lost if he'd gotten ahold of a nuke...every one of those 4,477 - was a volunteer...and speaks volumes about what kind of citizens we have (especially when compared to those whiners at OWS).

+1 ..... And thank you 214 Busa for your Service for Fredom and Democracy. :bowdown:

civil war there within 6 months. you can bet on that.

they have been fighting in that part of the world for thousands of years. the US military going in there for 9 years isnt gonna change that. now they can blow each other up with roadside bombings vs. our soldiers.

Given their history, I wouldn't want to bet against it...sad. Sad thing there is, whomever can be the most brutal and heartless wins, because good men stand and do nothing.

Actually, not in the country of Iraq, Dennis. There are a couple thousand left currently, but they will all be out by the end of the year (except the few supporting the embassy). We have a small contingent poised to go back in if need by, but literally 99.9% of the Soldiers, Sailor, Airmen and Marines are out of the country. Trust me on that one.

Actually, not in the country of Iraq, Dennis. There are a couple thousand left currently, but they will all be out by the end of the year (except the few supporting the embassy). We have a small contingent poised to go back in if need by, but literally 99.9% of the Soldiers, Sailor, Airmen and Marines are out of the country. Trust me on that one.

Uniformed boots on the ground, yes. State Department/CIA/Contractors...a whole bunch of US personnel remain.

You are correct, but probably not as many as you might think.

Back