A neighbor went up in flames, be careful guys

DNGrumpy

Sometimes Dopey fits too
Donating Member
Registered
One of my neighbors burned herself really bad. I mean to the point where they don't think she is going to live. I was not home, I got the story from another neighbor who witnessed the burst and aftermath. She (30ish single Mom) was in the back yard, Her 8 year daughter was on the trampoline and her 14 year old daughter was visiting with her Dad. The woman and her boyfriend were burning brush in a 6' or so pile in the yard (legal this time of year around here). The fire was not doing so well so she grabs a 5 gallon gas can and tries to splash some gas onto the fire (WTF was she thinking?). So the scene is described as a huge fireball and the worst screaming she had ever heard, and then like a scene from a movie a person on fire from head to toe is running across the yard... The boyfriend tackled her and beat the flames out... The 8 year old witnessed the whole thing... An ambulance came and they took her to the nearest open field from there she was taken by life flight to UMASS... I am told she has 3rd degree burns over most of her body including her stomach, chest, throat and face, her her was burned off etc... they do not think she will make it. If she does she will be in the hospital for months and be disfigured forever.

I feel more for my daughters friend who watched her Mom burned alive. I feel bad for her too.

This family moved to the neighborhood about 3 years ago, they are the only renters in the neighborhood, not big deal. The woman sued me for $100,000 within a month of moving in because the daughter was in my yard, reached over the gate on my deck and smashed my Akita who had Lupus, on the nose with a stick (Lupus causes huge open sores on the nose). The dog swung a paw (big paw) and caught her in the face. She got scratched pretty bad, needed one stitch to close it. They took the stitch out 2 days later, 3 month later there was no visble mark... She was offered $25,000 payable to the daughter on her 25th birthday, they declined and asked for cash now. They got $18,000 minus lawer fees. She had a brand new car 2 weeks later, the kid will never see a dime of that money... Within 1 month of that were threatening another neighbor with 2 St. Benards with another lawsuit for $100,000 because the dogs tried to eat their pet chihuahua when the then 11 year old put it down in the street in front of the house where the big dogs lived.

Anyhow, think before doing something stupid, just a little.

I've thrown gas on a fire before, I fill a paper cup and toss the whole cup from about 15' away though. Why the *%$# would you splash or dump gas from a full can onto an open flame???

Be careful guys, for you families and kids if nothing else.

Dave

lurk.gif
I wont even comment!

Dear God, don't even know what to say or feel. Talk about cosmic payback, Karma is a bitch!

"Stupid is as stupid does" - Forrest Gump

I feel bad for the kid. Even though she sounds like a scumbag (the mother) no one deserves to go out like that.

And in all honesty what adult doesn't have enough common sense not to do something so horrendously stupid.

Playing with gas can be very dangerous, as the case in point proves.

I think everyone (well maybe not everyone) has "played" with gas at some point in their lives. I know I have gotten very lucky on two occasions. However, some people learn from it and do not repeat.

Others, Well
firedevil.gif

Sad nevertheless,

Chris

darwin does not discriminate. I wonder if she'll try and sue the gas station that sold her the gas. feel sorry for the kid though not her fault, can't pick your relatives.

(Mr. Anderson @ Apr. 23 2007,08:23) darwin does not discriminate. I wonder if she'll try and sue the gas station that sold her the gas. feel sorry for the kid though not her fault, can't pick your relatives.
I couldn't agree more.

I feel really bad for the girl... that has to be brainbusting to see your mother on fire.
sad.gif

It's amazing how many people KNOW to not put gasoline on a fire, yet they do over and over again...

Years ago, my boss came in to work and we could tell something wasn't quite right...one eye brow was gone, his arm was bandaged up...he finally fessed up to pouring gas on an open fire and that he had to stop, drop and roll in front of his kids and their friends to avoid being burned further...he was lucky and we oftentimes tease him about it; we're just glad he's still around to tease!
laugh.gif

Another friend of mine was burning leaves and reached for the can of gasoline...months of rehab and painful skin grafts and she's okay today, but for a while, everyone wondered if she'd ever be the same...

I hope for her family's sake that your neighbor will be okay, but probably never the same
sad.gif

...I can't imagine what her child is going through right now
sad.gif

sad.gif

That's a bad scene. Seeing people burn is not a good thing at all.

Wow. That's terrible. My friend got burned just throwing brush onto a fire from the wrong side....a gust of wind blew the heat and flames right at him. Burning brush can be dangerous even without gasoline.

Not much word yet, all we did here was she is burned pretty much from the waist up, her breasts were saved because whatever bra she was wearing was flame reteardant. My wife spoke to a friend who's family member was one of the responding EMT's and all they could say was "Bad, really BAD, never seen anything like and don't want to ever again".

My wife and I talked about it and have volunteered to take the 8 year old till the end of the school year. One of the other neighbors offered the same for the 14 year old. I have know idea what is going to happen to the kids. The house will likely be lost as they were renters. With there being 4 sets of GrandParents, who knows. We just thought it might help to have the kids finish the school year in town where they have been going.

I cannot imagine what is going through the head of the little one, seeing it happen...

I'll post up as I hear.

Dave

I may not have liked her, but I really hate to see kids hurt...

Back