A lot of questions from a newb

woodlandtechie

Registered
Hello all,

Been lurking for a while, reading, digesting info, lusting after mods I can't afford..you know, the usual stuff but now I find myself in need of some help so may i please ask lots of questions which may have been asked before...

My bike is a 99, bought from my brother, 45000 miles, had a 1350 kit fitted at 32000 miles, now it runs very hot and even smells hot if you know what i mean, is this normal?

I use the bike for commuting, which involves to much filtering for my like and I feel the bike being so hot may affect it for the worse..

So, my radiator is leaking, the fins are toast due to the winter salt so the bike is stripped for cleaning, & servicing, can I fit the mk2 dual fan radiator to this early bike?

Also, it has a PCII, air box mod (flap removed), viper cans, the rest is standard, could anybody advise which map I should use as it seems to be on the standard map and I'm not sure this is helping matters.

It is also quite rough, very viby, my hand is numb after 50 miles so this is probably connected is some way I feel.

So jobs to do, Throttle body sync, clean the fuel filter (not sure if this has ever been done), new plugs, oil, filter air filter, valve clearances, font wheel bearings, headstock bearings...etc..gonna be busy...

Any help and advice gratefully received

If it works on the Gen I's (99-2007) it will work on yours. It's typical for the big bore kits to run a little hot and the Gen I ran hot from the factory. Bst of luck

Get it dyno tuned after you do all those other things.

For your hands and the vibe issue are the bar ends still on the bike? I took mine off and they do serve a purpose...so they went back on. Good luck with the rest of the mods...a map for your specific bike / parts package is best if possible.

A good dyno tune just to be sure your not running lean and hot could be a great idea. Otherwise the second fan mod will greatly help also

Thats a good idea that totally flew past my mind. Either go with sixpack or something like engine ice. theres alot of mixed opinions on both and i have never used water wetter but i am running engine ice and i have notice a little differance in warming up like it seems to take a little longer unless its warm out and my bikes not modded like that but i have never once ever even gone above the halfway point even in traffic. so maybe one of these would be a good idea to look into

Second fan mod in my opinion is the best mod for your gen 1 that can be done and benifit the bike. The Gen 1 will run hot from the factory in traffic and since yours in built its is more likely to run hot anyway. Get engine ice and do the second fan mod and put muzzy blades on both. Make sure to put the second fan on a switch because if you just tie it in with the factory one your bike will not turn on the fans till the water in the radiator reaches around 217 - 221 and in most cases for the radiator to be that hot your engine is about to overheat. That way will probably leave you running at about the 3/4 mark in traffic. With the switch you can kick on the fan anytime you want to and then off whenever you want to also. I only have mine on in traffic I never get above the 1/2 mark anymore. Good luck and :welcome: to the org its a great family:beerchug:

Gents, thanks for all the constructive replies...

Seems the two fan option is the way forward as a start, there a 2010 radiator & fans on Ebay uk, would this fit the Gen 1 bike without too much trouble as I noticed the hose location has been moved to the rear from the front, would this cause any issues or could I just trim the hose to fit?

With regard to the lean running making the bike run hot, could I use the PCII to temporarily richen the mixture until I can finish the work and get to dyno?

For the engine vibes, the bar weights are present but the engine just seems to be rough in general...I'm going to check the valve clearances then sync the throttle bodies hopefully this may help.....one thing I forgot to mention is the low rpm stutter at around 200 to 2500 rpm, makes low speed control, in the wet and filtering somewhat interesting...could the dyno help smooth this out at all?

Last edited:
dyno, dyno, dyno, the dyno will help that bike immensely with those mods, especially if its never been before, and the anything that is wrong with the bike the tech can tell you so it will help you all the way around, and give you a place to start with a good baseline tune on your system, then when you get all the bugs worked out you can take it back to the dyno and tune it how you want it tuned and go from there, oh and welcom to the org:welcome::welcome:

we are goin to need pic that is the :rulez:

:worthless:

Back