A legend in our own minds or admired by our peers?

Tached1300

Registered
Our perception of our own riding skills can be very subjective and relative I would say. Perhaps we are victims of our environments, riding groups or what opportunities have been presented to us?? Fast in one group may be last in another. Kinda like that big fish in a small pond until someone releases us into that ocean.

Have you met up with other forum members, co-workers, or even riders at the local fill up, who talked a good game but could not ride for poop? Or perhaps he/she was so modest about their riding skills and left you feeling inadequate as a rider after that ride through the twisties?

I'm definitely biased towards tight twisty mountainous type roads for riding, I'm addicted to them. We used go over to the drag strip every now and then, we invited some guys to ride up in the mountains with us who tend to just drag their bikes, after they were addicted to curves as it presents a whole new set of challenges. I know curves is only one aspect of riding but it’s what I live for lol.

Oh well just thinking out loud, but I will not lose sight of the fact that no matter how fast I think I am (I’m slow actually) it’s all relative as there's plenty of folks out there who are faster be it in a straight line or curvy one!

I have talked before about a guy I used to ride with who never got faster than about 70 mph but he held that speed through turns, straights, etc. Slow down for a second and he was gone. For touring riders its about average speed not all out top speed. Takes great braking skills, good line selection and a lot of situational awareness. Really fun too!

I have talked before about a guy I used to ride with who never got faster than about 70 mph but he held that speed through turns, straights, etc. Slow down for a second and he was gone. For touring riders its about average speed not all out top speed. Takes great braking skills, good line selection and a lot of situational awareness. Really fun too!
Yep, I’m all about average speed myself I’m not really a top speed junkie at all. I like the technical stuff and can have fun at 30-70mph

We were on a poker run one time and a "geezer" shows up on an old ('70s) Beemer and joined our group, we could barely keep up with him....just like @fallenarch mentioned, once you slowed down for any reason, he was gone.

I did a RACE course years ago and spent a bit of time on a track with a breathed on GSXR750 and did OK. I can hold my own if necessary but I choose to ride for myself now, I have nobody to impress.

My first, and last ever track day was fun. I signed up for the fast group 3 on a stock R6S. Whipped every G3 rider except my pro instructor on his ZX10. Recived my provisional CMRA license after winning a mock 3 lap race around Texas world speedway. I ride with some former WERA guys who struggled to keep me in sight on some rides together.

This is my favorite book., and please find Nick's YouTube videos. He's the best.

Sorry forgot book.

DSC_5394.JPG

DSC_5395.JPG

I have done my fair share of riding in my days. I have been fast and i have been down. Ive learned that your limits are whatever your fears are. If you have no faith in yourself, then you will have very little skills in riding. I know beyond a doubt i am not the best rider nor am i the worst. After 30 plus years of riding i have exceeded my skill level 2 times and realized it painfully.

Back