A Kiwi Touring the U.S.A.

Never know what and when I'm gonna do next. I'm going to buy another 1k, in a year, a week, who knows.
Regardless, if I have something, and you guys make it to Va, or WVA or NC, I'de ride out and meet ya's.
Show you's some good roads if it's close to my way.

I'm probably on your first leg or last depending on your route but I have a couple extra bedrooms, a W & D, tools and a lift (and) I live 23 miles from Yosemite NP and within a few hours ride to all six Sierra Nevada mountain passes, Lake Tahoe, Reno, Virginia City, Vegas...well, you get the idea. I know all the two lanes and have ridden the coast highway from SoCal thru Oregon and Washington. Let me know when you're coming. I also have a bro and daughter in SoCal who might be able to help in some way.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Yeah, if I was touring the country, I'de want to follow him^ on a trip.
That is incredible scenery.

I have driven through 38 states, and the most amazing thing is how the land and elavation change, so differently, and so often. Especially the westernn half of the country.
You guys are in for the bike trip of a lifetime.
You're about to do what most of us dream about.

I just found this posting. No activity for over a week?

Unfortunately your going to be starting in one of the busiest city's in America. Things are very expensive there, and the traffic there is something I assume you have never seen or experienced.

I think the idea of having someone setup your bikes ahead of time would save you a lot of time.
Adding a GPS if needed - someone could buy one and install it before you arrived if they had the bike.

I don't know if you have your mind made up yet or not on what bike your going to get to ride here or not.
IF I was to do a trip like that I would go for the Gold Wing. I had an older Wing and kept it even after I
got my Busa. They are made for touring and long distances and I assume that's what your plan is.
The 2018 GW's are smaller then the 2017 and older versions.

Two months here will go by fast - but I assume your not going to buy clothes every week and throw the ones
you were wearing away as to avoid using a laundry mat - because if you not going to do that you either need to use laundry mats or have a lot of people to stay with that can do laundry while you visit with them whether for a few hours or overnight.

Something I didn't see mentioned either was eating while traveling. Yes you could eat every meal at a restaurant - but that gets really expensive and is not good for the waistline. So carrying some food and water while traveling might very well require a cooler and ice packs.
Do we have the same food here as you do there?
Something to keep in mind.

Have you decided on a date of arrival?
When I was in LA last January, I did find eating quite cheap, I avoided the restaurants and stuck to places which we have here, ie KFC and pizza hut, did try heaps of other places and enjoyed them all. I did enjoy the "bottom less " coffees and soda drinks which we call soft drinks.

When I was in LA last January, I did find eating quite cheap, I avoided the restaurants and stuck to places which we have here, ie KFC and pizza hut, did try heaps of other places and enjoyed them all. I did enjoy the "bottom less " coffees and soda drinks which we call soft drinks.

Chic-fil-A
Google them
Their fast food is some of the best in the country
And Arbys, Roast beef sandwichs, their logo is "We have the meats!"

Just a question I have, and I've been thinking on this for a while now,
If I get pulled over for speeding will the cop have his hand on his gun and yelling commands at me like I have seen on the youtube vids of traffic stops in the States?
Here in NZ I've never faced anything like that and it worries me a bit about how things can go wrong so quickly.
What is the speed limit in the U.S. and is it enforced rigorously?
I understand that if a cop gives a command it pays to do EXACTLY what he says, and I'll be OK if I do that, but it still worries me.
Would it help if I have the New Zealand flag on the back of my jacket?
You guys like Kiwis, right?
1517862114480.png

Last edited:
Maybe try that old movie trick bro , if you been really gassing it :rolleyes: , a folded Benjamin Franklin along with your international license !! NOT !! :thumbsup:

Just a question I have, and I've been thinking on this for a while now,
If I get pulled over for speeding will the cop have his hand on his gun and yelling commands at me like I have seen on the youtube vids of traffic stops in the States?
Here in NZ I've never faced anything like that and it worries me a bit about how things can go wrong so quickly.
What is the speed limit in the U.S. and is it enforced rigorously?
I understand that if a cop gives a command it pays to do EXACTLY what he says, and I'll be OK if I do that, but it still worries me.
Would it help if I have the New Zealand flag on the back of my jacket?
You guys like Kiwis, right?
View attachment 1578887

Speed limits and cops attitudes vary from state to state. Speed limit isn't always the same. And out in the middle of nowhere, if you're doing 115 in a 70 and there is miles of nothing in front of you, you'll get a break before you will doing the same in a traffic area.

Cops are people too. Your International Drivers License will help.

@TallTom, yeah, I guess it's all down to the situation at hand, the Cops here are anal about speed, 100kmh is the limit on the open road, and anything over 140kmh and your bike or car is confiscated and your licence is suspended on the spot for 30 days or until you go to court.
Cops here NEVER give you a break, they have to issue fines to justify their jobs, they have a quota system but they will never admit to it.

If stopped, all any cop is worried about are your hands. They can't be shot or stabbed with empty hands. No sudden movements either. If you have to reach for your I.D. and insurance papers deep inside your jacket, pants or bag, tell them (before) reaching. Stay on your bike, keep still and keep your helmet and gloves on. The classification of crimes here are felonies, misdemeanors and infractions. Almost everywhere, simple speeding is just an infraction and (not) an arrestable charge. 20+ mph over any posted speed limit can be interpreted as reckless driving which is a misdemeanor and (is) an arrestable charge. Felonies are of course, arrestable.

Remember now, this is America, the melting pot. You could run into a black cop, a Vietnamese cop, a Chinese cop, a Sikh cop (with head dress) in some jurisdictions, even a (female) cop :D all manner of cops, but I'd also agree that you'll most likely to run into a young white cop. On a good note, in all my travels throughout the eleven western states (that's over 60,000 miles just on the Busa) I've only been stopped twice for a traffic violation and got no ticket either time. My Valentine One has saved me thou$and$ over the years, no foolin.:bowdown:

Good subject you brought up and should be discussed by anyone visiting another country, not just USA.
To be clear that incident you pictured the rider was speeding and popping wheelies for miles while being chased by marked cars. (maybe unaware). That cop was off duty and jumped out of his own honda and stopped him. I think he got in some hot water for over reacting with the drawn gun but he never even pointed it at the rider.
My point is these incidents get big press but are not the norm. 330 million people in the US so even a tiny % can seem like big numbers. (IE children injured by grocery carts = 66 A DAY!) Yikes.
Back when my brother and I were in our twenties living in the same town we got stopped, well maybe too often ;<), I usually got a warning or even a written warning and rarely sometimes a mild ticket but my brother? Well "I didin-du-nuffin" probably isnt a good way to start a conversation. I got called at least once a month to bail him out of jail.

Back