A Kiwi Touring the U.S.A.

Yeah, will be leaving the US from L.A..
It's early days at this point. We have a lot of planning to do.
I'm going to get advice from a mate that did the same last year.
Thanks for the input so far guys, keep it coming!
I think what all the brothers are saying it's a f#@%en huge country to explore . Enjoy, for the record Mainfreight do ship bikes from country to country real good price too, just check on compliance ie headlight

Whatever you get you should look at the touring proven technology: up-right riding position, good storage, shaft drive. etc. And you need GPS, you're going to out ride cell signals!

But...they're trying to make it across the country...and back.
Tall order for a Hardly, lol.

Now now, Harley's are still the majority bike out there, everywhere (and) back. However, on an eight state tour I took with my son a few years back I happened to look out onto the parking lot from our room to see our bikes, a Hayabusa and a Triumph 955 Sprint RS, side by side in a parking space next to a Wing with a trailer and noticed a Harley as well (on)
JAKEANDMEONTOUR2012 343 (Medium).jpg
JAKEANDMEONTOUR2012 344 (Medium).jpg
a trailer.:laugh:

Last edited:
I would recommend this thus far. L.A. up the Pacific Coast Highway (Hwy 1) all the way up the Ca coast. Then I'd interstate it to Washington state and then come back southeast along the Columbia River Gorge. Make your way to Mt Rushmore. (S Dakota). From there find the fastest route possible south into Colorado. Whereby you can take in the Rocky Mountains all the way down to Arizona and Utah. So many places to take in so make a list. Grand Canyon in Az. is what everyone knows about. But Utah has GREAT state parks with spectacular scenery all to be had for day trips out of St George Utah. Once done there, a 200 mile trip down to Vegas. Now comes the hard leg. Heading east across the great southwestern deserts will take you days. But along the way Taos NM is a nice stop. But AZ into Western Texas will be a LONG haul that requires planning. You can go for hours and see nothing. Texas at around Amarillo starts to become civilization again.

Or as an alternative. Cali to Nevada and do the reverse of the Rockies Leg and take in the Columbia River Gorge on the way back west.

To make time I'd head south thru Tx and cut over to coastal I-10 to make New Orleans a stop. Stay on I-10 and head to Fla. Stops abound along the coastlines in Fla. San Destin is very nice as stop from a day out of New Orleans. Head around the horn and down the western coast of Fla down to Naples. Cross over alligator alley and head south to the Keys. Make a stop in Miami to say you did it.

Then up the east coast of Fla to say Savannah, Ga. From there to Atlanta and the foothills of the Smokeys. Oh goodness how to do the Smokeys in a few days? But make your way up the Smokeys. Take in Mammoth Cave Kentucky as a day stop. Take in the Eastern Seaboard of the U.S. Up to Maine in the summer is gorgeous. Head east and cross over the White Mountains thru NH and Vermont. Mackinaw Island in Michigan in the summer.

Then you have the leg back across the great plains. Again a few days of boring miles to plan on the quickest route thru. Then you get into the Big Skies of Montana and Idaho. Cross east thru there and turn south west and head back to L.A.

If you could consider entering the U.S at say New Orleans or Miami or Atlanta and leave out of L.A. you could probably take in more overall.

I'd LOVE to join you guys on this adventure. Brings back some fond memories.

Reading your post has got me REALLY excited!!
Thanks for all that info and it would be very cool to have a born and bred American to show us the way on our adventure of a lifetime! So, if you can and if you have the time and energy AND the resources, we would welcome you to travel with us.
Think it over, who knows how long we have here on Mother Earth lol.

Drop me a line if your travels bring you through New Mexico.

Will do, it would be so awesome to hook up with the oRg members, we will be online and posting on the forum as well having email addresses out there for all who want to meet up and show us their neck of the woods.
It's well known in NZ that Americans are very welcoming and hospitable toward Kiwis, just as we Kiwis are toward you guys.
If any oRg members want to tour NZ, I have a spare room and I'm biker friendly, can show you a lap of the South Island too.
Just a little bit smaller than the US. :lol:

. If I had the chance to do a trip like that, I think I would choose a dual sport thumper over anything else or something with parts readily available.

Yep, that's why I want a KTM 1290 Adventure R, I've had a 09 990 Adventure and it was awesome.
The 1290 will surpass that and more, but the electronics package is a concern.
Haven't heard any unreliabilty/breakdown stories as yet, but I'm researching that everyday!
The other option is a '18 Hayabusa set up for touring, but I would rather have an upright seating position.
I've got a few months to consider my options so it's early days.
Every comment and piece of info based on experience coming to me from this forum of dedicated and decent people is welcomed and appreciated.
I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can. You'll love my Kiwi accent lol!

Yep, that's why I want a KTM 1290 Adventure R, I've had a 09 990 Adventure and it was awesome.
Haven't heard any unreliabilty/breakdown stories as yet, but I'm researching that everyday!
The other option is a '18 Hayabusa set up for touring, but I would rather have an upright seating position.
Every comment and piece of info based on experience coming to me from this forum of dedicated and decent people is welcomed and appreciated.
I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can. You'll love my Kiwi accent lol!
Lookup member “c10”. Him and some others have some awesome touring busas. You can get dirt bike style handlebar kits for the busa and have a Russell day long seat with the Buell peg modification (sold by a member here). Add some Givi hard bags and top case and you are all set. I believe c10 says his friends call his bike the “busawing” lol!

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/thre...dys-call-it-the-busawing.193227/#post-3218327 Here is his bike. Hope Bryan doesn’t mind me posting this.

Gosh so many factors to consider in this. Take for instance 2 months. As has been pointed out, for a country of this size, that doesn't afford you a lot of time. Do you have a list of things you know you want to see here? Say for instance, seeing Times Square. That would require a plan that would likely eat at least 2 days and that would be a rush. Add those up and 2 months would be hard to pull off and take it in. If you want to spend a day at any location (does not do justice to many locations) you can easily take up 2 weeks of just taking in things a day at a time.

Next is season. Start of summer here is June. At that time of year, all of the southwestern areas will be in the 100s during the day. Makes for long hot days of not much choice but being in it. Then you hit the southeast and its 100% humidity. It would be difficult to ride during these days for hours at a time. But in June in say Wa or South Dakota it will be very pleasant riding. If you could start your adventure in say March that would allow for taking in the southern climates in comfort and the northern portions on the back end of the time as it would be pleasant by then, but March would be dodgy for weather.

Next are the tools you are considering for the job. For this job, I'd want comfort. speed, and storage. The KTMs are a fine machine, but more of a dual purpose on/off road tool. Not a lot of wind protection or flexibility in riding position options in my opinion. Here for what you're doing, you will be on improved roads with LOTS of miles to cover in various climates. I'd want wind protection, low maintenance (no chains to lube and change), road tires, and as pointed out by others, GPS, cruise, communications, features made for the miles and days your considering. For what they get for a KTM, I think I'd look at something more shaft driven straight Over The Road touring type rides. Use them for the trip and then sell them. The whole exporting and importing portion of this plan will take time all by itself.

Next the idea of arriving in L.A. and then buying bikes, then getting them set up. That won't happen in a day. That could eat up 3 days. A better approach would be someone here, buy your chosen bikes ahead of your arrival, get them set up the way they need to be and you arrive and ride the next day.

Then where you wish to stay. Are you planning on buying phones to use while here? Call ahead or use the internet to secure accommodations before arriving. Or just roll in and find whatever you can find on the fly?

Or perhaps packing tents and pitching whenever you stop.

I've done trips such as this before. Both primitive and not. Camping is fun, but you want showers and creature comforts after a few days.

I am NO WAY trying to put cold water on your plans, just using my experiences and putting myself in your shoes for this.

Reading your post has got me REALLY excited!!
Thanks for all that info and it would be very cool to have a born and bred American to show us the way on our adventure of a lifetime! So, if you can and if you have the time and energy AND the resources, we would welcome you to travel with us.
Think it over, who knows how long we have here on Mother Earth lol.

Be careful what you wish for!!!! I'd LOVE to say I'm in but this is pretty short notice for me and my life at this time.

Here is a list of the major bike events that attract our Demo trucks each year.

I ride for the Italians .

The schedule for this year will be very similar to last years, the dates just change a day or so each way.

• May
  • May 2 - 8 | Thunder Beach Rally | Panama City, FL
  • May 9 - 10 | Matthews Fun Machines | Matthew, NC
  • May 12 - 13 | Houston Superbikes | Houston, TX
  • May 16 - 17 | RPM Cycle | Dallas, TX
  • May 19 - 20 | Moto El Paso | El Paso, TX
  • May 24 - 30 | Red River Rally | Taos, NM
  • June
  • June 2 - 3 | Windy City | Chicago, IL
  • June 5 - 10 | Americade Motorcycle Rally | Lake George, NY
  • June 10 - 19 | Laconia Motorcycle Week | Laconia, NH
  • June 21 - 26 | Thunder in the Valley | Johnstown, PA
  • July
  • July 7 - 9 | Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca* | Monterey, CA
  • July 11 - 12 | California Speed Sport | Livermore, CA
  • July 14 - 15 | Elk Grove Power Sports | Sacramento, CA
  • July 21 - 22 | Thousand Oaks Powersports | Thousand Oaks, CA
  • July 28 - 29 | OC Motorcycles / Aprilia Newport Beach | Newport Beach, CA
  • August
  • August 1 - 14 | Sturgis Motorcycle Rally | Sturgis, SD
  • November
  • November 17 - 19 | Long Beach IMS* | Long Beach, CA
  • December
  • December 8 - 10 | New York IMS* | New York, NY

I fully understand and appreciate all your input and time taken. Thanks so much.
If I didn't have prior commitments, I'd consider this. Taking 2 months off doesn't come as easy for me now as it did 2 years ago. Maybe in another year, it would be more doable. If you guys considered a stop and start in Dallas, I'd maybe be able to help on the acquiring your tools part of it. I'm happy to help you in any capacaity I can, and as much as I'd love to join you, it easier said than done for me. But I will still try and assist as I can.

If I didn't have prior commitments, I'd consider this. Taking 2 months off doesn't come as easy for me now as it did 2 years ago. Maybe in another year, it would be more doable. If you guys considered a stop and start in Dallas, I'd maybe be able to help on the acquiring your tools part of it. I'm happy to help you in any capacaity I can, and as much as I'd love to join you, it easier said than done for me. But I will still try and assist as I can.

Cheers mate, will be starting in L.A as its the first port and I HATE flying long distances, the flight from Auckland to L.A is bad enough, but another flight to Dallas would tip me over the edge!!
Anyway, if we go thru Dallas I will certainly let you know and we could hook up for a beer? :beerchug:

I just found this posting. No activity for over a week?

Unfortunately your going to be starting in one of the busiest city's in America. Things are very expensive there, and the traffic there is something I assume you have never seen or experienced.

I think the idea of having someone setup your bikes ahead of time would save you a lot of time.
Adding a GPS if needed - someone could buy one and install it before you arrived if they had the bike.

I don't know if you have your mind made up yet or not on what bike your going to get to ride here or not.
IF I was to do a trip like that I would go for the Gold Wing. I had an older Wing and kept it even after I
got my Busa. They are made for touring and long distances and I assume that's what your plan is.
The 2018 GW's are smaller then the 2017 and older versions.

Two months here will go by fast - but I assume your not going to buy clothes every week and throw the ones
you were wearing away as to avoid using a laundry mat - because if you not going to do that you either need to use laundry mats or have a lot of people to stay with that can do laundry while you visit with them whether for a few hours or overnight.

Something I didn't see mentioned either was eating while traveling. Yes you could eat every meal at a restaurant - but that gets really expensive and is not good for the waistline. So carrying some food and water while traveling might very well require a cooler and ice packs.
Do we have the same food here as you do there?
Something to keep in mind.

Have you decided on a date of arrival?

Back