A Kiwi Touring the U.S.A.

The cops here in Sth. Australia have recently finally admitted to having a quota system for all traffic duty cops , solely for government revenue grab . For many years they denied it straight faced looking at you , absolute bullshit artists !! Their have been quite a few motorcycle deaths of late in my location , so now there is an unofficial blitz on motorcycles as I write this here in Sth Oz , its been on going for a couple of weeks now , and a couple still to go . They are pulling over heaps of bikes random , with no due cause or real reason , and issuing full defects etc . Just stung a couple of my mates as they were riding , homeward bound .

That might work in Australia but probably not State side, Aussie cops are as crooked as they come.

Ya know I just thought of something. You may not be able to register your bike without insurance. Not sure how that will work getting it if you're not on an American license and no residence here. You might want to look into this to see if you will get held up. Driving an unregistered vehicle could cause you some issues.

I'm ignorant on this. When I lived in other countries, I always had a residence, so I could get all of this. Being temporary like this, you might want to do some exploring.

I understand that if a cop gives a command it pays to do EXACTLY what he says, and I'll be OK if I do that, but it still worries me.

Good subject you brought up and should be discussed by anyone visiting another country, not just USA.
To be clear that incident you pictured the rider was speeding and popping wheelies for miles while being chased by marked cars. (maybe unaware). That cop was off duty and jumped out of his own honda and stopped him. I think he got in some hot water for over reacting with the drawn gun but he never even pointed it at the rider.
My point is these incidents get big press but are not the norm. 330 million people in the US so even a tiny % can seem like big numbers. (IE children injured by grocery carts = 66 A DAY!) Yikes.
Back when my brother and I were in our twenties living in the same town we got stopped, well maybe too often ;<), I usually got a warning or even a written warning and rarely sometimes a mild ticket but my brother? Well "I didin-du-nuffin" probably isnt a good way to start a conversation. I got called at least once a month to bail him out of jail.
u got the nail right on the head.... furthermore... being a cop nowadays is a terrible job... EVERY decision they make is gonna be second guessed... and its almost guaranteed that they will see the inside of many courtrooms for frivolous bullshit.... furthermore the body cameras are coming... I can tell you that cameras benefit the bad guys bigtime... in American prisons the situation is worsening... with more and more cameras the bad guys can now spit on/ throw feces at/ slice and maul correction officers at will if they can talk a psychiatrist into thinking they are crazy... there is little penalty... Keeplock for a week.. meanwhile we wait for our aids test to come back negative... With all the pushback on cops... it wouldn't surprise me if the cops stopped arresting people.. REAL bad guys that most of you never had to deal with/fight with... see in a courtroom.... Murderers/serial killers/rapists/kingpins and smooth wiseguys.... pray to god that they don't stop arresting the animals....

As far as a quota system is concerned... sorta works like this... there is an average number of citations written.... as a cop.. every move u make is documented and the brass takes note of when a cop is a slug... IF u are labeled as a slug you will have a hard time getting any overtime... or ure name will be overlooked in the overtime book... also... others may not be so quick to respond to calls for assistance... you DONT wanna be labeled as a slug.

don't they have tour companies that can handle all that? you should talk to Pashnit (Tim) bet he is a wealth of info.
Yeah but Pashnit and the companies own the bikes. In this case I think they plan on buying bikes and shipping them back at the end of the trip.

I think they can get away with 30 days on temp tags in most places. The rest..........IDK how bad it can go if they get pulled for expired temp tags and then the rest unravels.

Yeah but Pashnit and the companies own the bikes. In this case I think they plan on buying bikes and shipping them back at the end of the trip.

I think they can get away with 30 days on temp tags in most places. The rest..........IDK how bad it can go if they get pulled for expired temp tags and then the rest unravels.

Pashnit owns his bike.
The riders on his tours ride on their own bikes as well.

The cops here in Sth. Australia have recently finally admitted to having a quota system for all traffic duty cops , solely for government revenue grab . For many years they denied it straight faced looking at you , absolute bullshit artists !! Their have been quite a few motorcycle deaths of late in my location , so now there is an unofficial blitz on motorcycles as I write this here in Sth Oz , its been on going for a couple of weeks now , and a couple still to go . They are pulling over heaps of bikes random , with no due cause or real reason , and issuing full defects etc . Just stung a couple of my mates as they were riding , homeward bound .
Like I said , crooked as they come. Ours I'm pretty sure have EFTPOS machines in their cars

Ya know I just thought of something. You may not be able to register your bike without insurance. Not sure how that will work getting it if you're not on an American license and no residence here. You might want to look into this to see if you will get held up. Driving an unregistered vehicle could cause you some issues.

I'm ignorant on this. When I lived in other countries, I always had a residence, so I could get all of this. Being temporary like this, you might want to do some exploring.

My son was here on a student Visa, with an international drivers licence more than 30 days old, waiting for a social security number. He was driving a car registered in my name, got pulled over and they would not allow him to drive it any further. My wife and I had to go pick him up, so I can drive the car home. Only way you can get insurance is to rent as a tourist, in most cases you will just need your country of residence drivers licence and your passport which has to be stamped with an Arrival/Departure I 94 which has not expired. To try and purchase a vehicle here without resident status.... Good luck.

My son was here on a student Visa, with an international drivers licence more than 30 days old, waiting for a social security number. He was driving a car registered in my name, got pulled over and they would not allow him to drive it any further. My wife and I had to go pick him up, so I can drive the car home. Only way you can get insurance is to rent as a tourist, in most cases you will just need your country of residence drivers licence and your passport which has to be stamped with an Arrival/Departure I 94 which has not expired. To try and purchase a vehicle here without resident status.... Good luck.
How does it work out to buy car/bike to take back home?. I'm investing in a 2016 corvette to bring over in New Zealand, much cheaper than buying one here. GST here is 15% plus shipping. We call it Grab Snatch and Take

How does it work out to buy car/bike to take back home?. I'm investing in a 2016 corvette to bring over in New Zealand, much cheaper than buying one here. GST here is 15% plus shipping. We call it Grab Snatch and Take
I can help you with this. I just exported 2 vehicles. Can share info in PM.

Or someone like me owns them, insures them, gives you permission to use them, and suddenly decides to sell them to you for some unexplained reason. :Whistle:

If money really isn't an issue , why not rent 2 bikes from EagleRider .

http://www.eaglerider.com/

Over 100 different models to pick from .

No purchasing bikes , registering , titling & paying sales tax on the full purchase price of the vehicles that you can never get back.

Never mind outfitting the bike when you get here.

This way every time when you run out the tires, and need an oil change , stop in at another location and swap out bikes.

You'll possibly get to ride lots of different makes and models that way.

Over 21 day rentals on the Gold Wings are only 140 USD a day .

Last edited:
I think it's a great way to go. However they had in mind bringing bikes back. That was their hoped for plan

Back