A Hero Has Fallen

Flicka

Professional Booga Flicka
Registered
I've been a little short with a couple of you over the last week, and I'm sorry for it. This week has been a very difficult one in Chattanooga, especially in the law enforcement community.

One week ago today, CPD Sergeant James Timothy Chapin was shot and killed while responding to an armed robbery.

Final Tribute Video - Sgt. James Timothy Chapin

Sergeant James Timothy (Tim) Chapin
Chattanooga Police Department
Tennessee
End of Watch: Saturday, April 2, 2011

Biographical Info
Tour of Duty: 27 years
Badge Number: 554

Incident Details
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Date of Incident: Saturday, April 2, 2011
Weapon Used: Handgun
Suspect Info: Shot and hospitalized

Sergeant Tim Chapin was shot and killed after responding to a
robbery at a pawn shop at approximately 10:25 am.

As responding officers arrived at the scene they were immediately fired upon by the suspect from inside the store. As officers took cover the subject ran from a side door and continued firing at pursuing officers.

The subject then fired into Sergeant Chapin's patrol car as he arrived at the scene. The patrol car struck the subject and Sergeant Chapin exited the vehicle and pursued the man on foot but was shot in the head and killed.

Other officers continued to return fire and shot the suspect before taking him into custody. One other officer was shot in the back but the round was stopped by his vest.

Sergeant Chapin had served with the Chattanooga Police Department for 27 years. He is survived by his wife and two children.

This video gives more of the back-story, and the details of what actually happened.

Please don't let this thread become a place for criticism of the police or this situation in particular.

I also understand and my respects go out to you and the LEO's who protect us! My best friend and room mate is a Va beach Police Officer.

Thanks guys. I didn't know him personally, but we're very close in law enforcement around here. Several of my officers did know him well, so it's just been difficult.

Back