A Hardley bites the dust

Hard for me to wear leathers as I have stated before. I hate to admit it, but when I had my ZX7R, I didn't even like to ride with a helmet. (The helmet I bought was cheap and heavy, really weighed down on my neck. Have neck problems from breakdancing when I was younger... :laugh: )

When I bought the Busa, at the very least, I promised myself to buy the best helmet I could find, ended up with the lightest ARAI helmet made. I LOVE IT TO DEATH! When I drive around the block just testing things out with my sunglasses and no helmet, I feel really unsafe now. Like someone stated, the mind is now programmed to wear the helmet at all times. After reading some of the other threads, I am going to invest in good leathers next year and I am going to give'em a shot. I have a feeling my problem was that I was too damn cheap before on my equipment which really made the ride not quite as fun...

On another note... I have witnessed one motorcycle accident right after the fact, before any police/ambulance showed up to the scene. It was a Harley driver with no helmet in rush hour traffic. I can't tell exactly what happened to cause the accident, but I have vivid images of what the motorcyclist looked like on the pavement. He was lying on his back with his sunglasses still on; there was no movement from the driver and there was a puddle of blood around his head that was visiable from my car window as I drove by... Pretty scary stuff for sure.

Drive safe.

Cloud

BT, they got the S50 on sale now at the PX, just noticed today. $489, reg $589. that sound like a good price? or are they just about to come out with a new improved version next month?

s400 is $499 reg price, no sale.

That's not a bad price on the S50. Even if they come out with a new model it's usually just incremental improvements or additions of useless features that most people will never use. I always try to find a good deal on a proven camera (S50 is a good example) rather than plunking down good money on a new model with unknown issues/problems. The Nikon 995 broke me from having to have the latest version. ;)

BulletTrain..
Can't you find some Joe Rocket pants to fit?  They come in up to 3XL I think.  I wear a set of thier overpants over my khaki's when I ride to work.
I haven't found a shop that stocks fat man sizes in Joe Rocket gear. If I could find it in stock and try it on I might could find some. I hate to order over the net and have to send them back if they don't work out.

ARGHHHHHH!
How's this for timing?
I am cutting out of school early and taking my kids to the State Fair.  My son Matt for the first time did not ride his bicycle to school.  I have to take him home on the Busa and I only have ONE HELMET!  He is going to wear it, so if y'all would say a little prayer for me....
I am actually kinda scared, I've never ridden bucketless before.
It's only 2 miles.
At least that's what I keep telling myself.
Ride safe folks!
You will notice you go a LOT slower.  everything is louder, and seems like you are flying, you look down, 40 mph.  Its  amazing the amount of road noise they keep out.

BT- what kind of camera is that again?  I looked at the Canon S50 yesterday, is that good one?  it was over $500 tho.
BFever,
Boy are you ever right!
Needless to say I got home Ok but, I heard my chain making a sushing noise. I checked the chain (seemed to be tensioned correctly) and it has UNEVEN wear, I mean that it streatch more in one section than another. ( yes I know, chains don't really strech.) As the chain went around, it gets tighter & looser. The sprockets do not show any sign of wear. I may just replace the chain.

ARGHHHHHH!
How's this for timing?
I am cutting out of school early and taking my kids to the State Fair.  My son Matt for the first time did not ride his bicycle to school.  I have to take him home on the Busa and I only have ONE HELMET!  He is going to wear it, so if y'all would say a little prayer for me....
It's only 2 miles.
Ride safe folks!
You will notice you go a LOT slower.  everything is louder, and seems like you are flying, you look down, 40 mph.  Its  amazing the amount of road noise they keep out.

BT- what kind of camera is that again?  I looked at the Canon S50 yesterday, is that good one?  it was over $500 tho.
BFever,
Boy are you ever right!
Needless to say I got home Ok but,  I heard my chain making a sushing noise.  I checked the chain (seemed to be tensioned correctly) and it has UNEVEN wear,  I mean that it streatch more in one section than another. ( yes I know, chains don't really strech.)  As the chain went around, it gets tighter & looser.  The sprockets do not show any sign of wear.  I may just replace the chain.
Yep, I personally think it is a good idea to ride around the block without yer helmet ever so often just so you can "listen" the the beast. I always have done it ever couple of months er so.

Is it the same chain that you bought the bike with? You got a wrecked busa didnt ya?

-Bill

That's not a bad price on the S50. Even if they come out with a new model it's usually just incremental improvements or additions of useless features that most people will never use. I always try to find a good deal on a proven camera (S50 is a good example) rather than plunking down good money on a new model with unknown issues/problems. The Nikon 995 broke me from having to have the latest version.  ;)
Sweet! thanks for the advice BT... I'll prolly go buy it in a few weeks.

ARGHHHHHH!
How's this for timing?
It's only 2 miles.
Ride safe folks!

BFever,
Boy are you ever right!
Needless to say I got home Ok but,  I heard my chain making a sushing noise.  I checked the chain (seemed to be tensioned correctly) and it has UNEVEN wear,  I mean that it streatch more in one section than another. ( yes I know, chains don't really strech.)  As the chain went around, it gets tighter & looser.  The sprockets do not show any sign of wear.  I may just replace the chain.
Yep, I personally think it is a good idea to ride around the block without yer helmet ever so often just so you can "listen" the the beast.  I always have done it ever couple of months er so.

Is it the same chain that you bought the bike with?  You got a wrecked busa didnt ya?

-Bill
Yes sir, same chain. It is coming off this week!

I think the ride slowly down the street, sans bucket, is a good maintenance idea.

dang bullet, thats a nsty little bugger, I have been bit by one once, its an ugly ordeal, the venomn liqiufied my skin in about a quarter sized area, it took year to heal NASTY!
OWWWWWW!

My aunt got bit by one of those reculses.  She got bad sick.  Lost like 50 lbs in 6 months...  She wasnt even overweight, just couldnt keep any weight on.
Are we talking about the Brown Recluse (Loxosceles reclusa)? It sounds like twisted's bite was, because there are only three spider types in the US that can produce "volcano lesion" (a hole in the flesh due to damaged, gangrenous tissue). The Hobo spider from the Pacific Northwest is the only other one that can really damage your skin severly.

The Brown Recluse is found mainly in the southern and Midwestern states especially Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Missouri.

I kind of doubt that the spider in the picture is a Brown Recluse. They have a violin pattern on the cephalothorax and NO coloration on their abdomens. I am not an arachnologist (nor an arachnophiliac), however, I do find them fascinating.

Here is an interesting tidbit... Did you know that scorpions come from the arachnid (spider) family? Scorpions are related to tarantulas and like all spiders have anywhere between 6 and 12 eyes (depending on the species).

I think he was referring to the Brown Recluse but the one I posted a photo of was NOT a Recluse. Don't know what it is but I've seen pics of a Recluse and it didn't look like the one in my photo.

Yup Brown recluse bad Mojo,

Now you want an interesting spider? Check out the Camel Spiders in Saudi AKA Wind Scorpions...Neat critters...

IMO, you live and learn.  I've never seen a motorcycle accident and hope I never do but after I had mine I swore I would never ride in anything but leather.  I was going to be covered from head to toe.  

Some people laughed because they said leather pants are for racers and a racer I am not, although I think I am, lol ;)   My Vanson jacket at the time took quite a beating but would have been able to have been repaired if it hadn't been cut off, I burned a hole almost all the way through both palms of my gloves, and tore my jeans to shreads which left ugly scars on my femine knees/legs.  I don't know which hurt more my broken back or my legs from the road rash.  My helmet had a divit right in the middle above my forehead from hitting something, I don't know exactly what, luckly my shield was down.  

8 months later when I was ready to ride again I was wearing leather everything.  I risked heat exhaustion in the summer just because I couldn't bring myself to put the jeans on, but when the need to ride was overwhelming though I wore them except riding just wasn't the same.  I've even gone as far as to put the armor in just in case.  

The gear also has allowed me to push my abilities which means I'm making awesome progress piloting my busa. Hope that Hardley dude is alright.

Sorry, that was long. :type:

Kris

Dang Kris, glad you made it through your crash and lived to ride again, scars be damned! Sounds like it was a nasty one. I hope I acquire the proper gear before I get taught a lesson like that! I've seen plenty of crashes in my line of work but seeing them doesn't begin to compare with experiencing one.

Back