A few questions on fuel/building a "stock" Gen 2

Jacobs

OEM Parts/Accessory guy
Donating Member
Registered
So I have this friend with a completely stock Gen 2 and wants go through the engine. The bike has roughly 16k miles on it and he's a pretty avid drag racer. The idea is to keep it stock bore with head work and eventually toss some nitrous at it. Here's a rough idea of what parts want to be used:

CP 13.5:1 Stock bore
OEM Rods
New crank bearings
Mild head work with slightly more aggressive cams
Upgraded Clutch(undecided)
Dry nitrous set-up using a spray bar

The bike will be street ridden once in awhile so this is one reason for trying to keep this as reliable as possible. A few questions/things we're unsure of and very open to opinions is the following:

• How aggressive to go on the cams?
  • Which brand of cams to use?
  • Will the bike be maxing out the fuel system with the above parts and using a dry nitrous set-up?
    If so, what will be needed the upgrade the fuel system?
  • What kind of power can he expect on Motor? Nitrous? Not decided on fuel yet, but it will be tuned on on VP
    race fuel
  • What style/brand of clutch to go with that can still be street ridden?

Last edited:
I would recommend you call/talk to Knecum and have him build you a setup. You can send them your friends engine and he'll do the works. You really need a port job setup for the cams you are using. If it's not a tried and true combo you are leaving a lot left on the table.

About Steve Knecum | Knecum Performance Engines

The reason I say Steve is because he has several combos that will meet your needs. I've seen his 1340 combo make over 225whp+ before.

The fuel you should be fine but depends how wild. Are you sparying a 50-shot or 150-shot?

Clutch depends on what kind of a street/strip bike he wants?

Lots of options but I would ask Steve... :beerchug:

Since it's going to be using factory rods, the shot will be no more than a 60-70 hit. We still haven't decided on who is going to be doing the head work so that's why I'm asking

I would call Steve and see what he says. I think he uses a Carpenter setup. The main thing is you port the head for the cams. You aren't going to get max power/performance without a proven combo. Otherwise, you'll just get mild gains...

That's why a lot of guys 1441 setups barely make 200-210whp instead of 240+...

I would call Steve and see what he says. I think he uses a Carpenter setup. The main thing is you port the head for the cams. You aren't going to get max power/performance without a proven combo. Otherwise, you'll just get mild gains...

That's why a lot of guys 1441 setups barely make 200-210whp instead of 240+...

I would be extremely unhappy if my 1441 barely made over 200 to the wheels. I know there's a lot of power to be had by starting at the head and that's why we definitely want to get that done right with the correct size cam profiles. We were hoping to hear someone say it shouldn't be a problem making 200-205 on motor.

Thanks for the info though, I'll be sure to give Steve a call to pick his brain some. I figured I'd be getting a few more people giving opinions on this.....

I would be extremely unhappy if my 1441 barely made over 200 to the wheels. I know there's a lot of power to be had by starting at the head and that's why we definitely want to get that done right with the correct size cam profiles. We were hoping to hear someone say it shouldn't be a problem making 200-205 on motor.

Thanks for the info though, I'll be sure to give Steve a call to pick his brain some. I figured I'd be getting a few more people giving opinions on this.....

The sad part is that it happens all the time. I don't want to start quoting dyno numbers but you should have no problem making over 205whp if Steve builds it and you have a good pipe and proper tuning. If those numbers would make you happy, you'll be MORE than glad you went with Knecum power... ;)

:beerchug:

Maybe I should have posted about a wanting to mount an AR-15 to a Gen II :laugh:

Back