A few problems

KanjiBusa

Seizures Suck!
Donating Member
Registered
I wrote a thread that sounded like I was attacking the hayabusa, this was not my intent, and I am sorry. I have had a few problems come up over that past couple days that have thrown me for a loop. For one a buzzing sound that started out of no where , and I cannot find it for the life of me. Two It feels like my chain is skipping. I felt it pop 3 or 4 times today, I checked the sprockets and I have no missing teeth. Has anyone ever lost teeth on the front sprocket? might be that. Third my fork seals are totally shot, but I started another thread on that in the problems section and it is working out better than ever, will only run me 125 from the suzuki dealer I bought from for seal replacement on both forks. Just a few things piled up so quickly on me(leaving out a few) So again I am sorry to everyone.

It happens to all of us. I'm pretty disgusted right now about my gauge face cracking too.

As for the chain skipping...is there any chance it's just out of adjustment?

Well I just had new tires put on it 2 weeks ago, and I would think Smithers Customs would make sure everything is aligned since he specializes in busas.

Don't bet on it. Everyone has an off day. Check the tension of the chain per the manual. I can't recall the manual, but you should have someone on the bike and get maybe 3/4 of an inch in play. Also roll the bike forward a few times. I understand you can have loose spots, which makes no sense to me, but someone with a heck of a lot of experience told me that. Good Luck.

Read my Pm about the tires. He may have had a new hire work your bike, who knows.

Putting on tires doesn't mean they checked the chain tension. Check that and pull off the cover on the front sprocket. If tension and front sprocket are good, what gear does it skip in??

if it never happened before you had tires put on, and it's doing it now, it would stand to reason that it's something they did or didnt do. Hopefully the chain not being the right tension is the cause of the problem there. According to the service manual, you should have between .8 and 1.2 inches of slack in the chain when measured at the middle of the chain between the sprockets.

top or bottom because i just went out and it feels incredibly tight on top, and on the bottom i am only getting about .5 slack

(KanjiBusa @ Mar. 14 2007,23:32) top or bottom because i just went out and it feels incredibly tight on top, and on the bottom i am only getting about .5 slack
Measure the bottom. Lift up the chain and measure distance to swingarm, then push down chain and measure distance to swingarm. If you're only getting .5" its way too tight.

(Charlesbusa @ Mar. 15 2007,01:38)
(KanjiBusa @ Mar. 14 2007,23
zzwhip.gif
) top or bottom because i just went out and it feels incredibly tight on top, and on the bottom i am only getting about .5 slack
Measure the bottom.  Lift up the chain and measure distance to swingarm, then push down chain and measure distance to swingarm.  If you're only getting .5" its way too tight.
+1

And it's probably not skipping, it's binding.

I know it seem like falling apart, mine is having too much play between cush drive assy. and rear wheel...when I grab the sprocket and move left and right, about lil more than 1/4 play in there...cush drive is going fast...need a set of rubber.
and few other thing is about going too...so yeah, it is happening soon or a later...
wink.gif

The buzzing sound, is it your windscreen? A lot of busas have that. If it is you can fix it with a little electrical tape on the edge that slides into the fairing.

(KanjiBusa @ Mar. 15 2007,02:10) Ill try that, I felt it skip in 2nd and 6th
Trans is the problem. ITs jumping out of gear. sorry to say it.
Search for 2nd gear problems threads...........

(guido4512 @ Mar. 15 2007,08:13)
(KanjiBusa @ Mar. 15 2007,02:10) Ill try that, I felt it skip in 2nd and 6th
Trans is the problem. ITs jumping out of gear. sorry to say it.
Search for 2nd gear problems threads...........
if it were his tranny, wouldnt it pop out of gear completely?? i know that i had a bent shift fork on a previous bike and once above 5k rpms it would kick out into neutral. id say the buzzing is from the windscreen and .5inch of play in the chain is too tight. that popping sound to me indicates a bind, and not a skip.... i would def re-check the chain tension and alignment.

If it was a chain or sprocket problem I would think it would do it in all gears - not just 2nd and 6th. This tells me its the tranny, I'm no expert 'tho. Sorry
sad.gif

2nd and 6th gear failures are not uncommon in the early V4 Hondas. The two gears are internally related somehow.

Jeremy, I will be home working on the trailer this Sunday. If you dont have to work give me a call and you can bring the bike over to my place and I will check it out for you. There is a chance I may go over to OMSLAW's to install the HID, if so we can take a look at it there.

If it's a bent shift fork it will come out of gear on hard acceleration but not necessarily go into neutral. Mine was first gear but only because of something I did. Anyway it would not go out of gear completely. 2nd and sixth are part of the same gear cluster in the tranny(well they use the same shift fork I believe). It will cause the "doggs" on the sides of the gear to become rounded off and they will not engage completely. As you apply power aggressively the gears will come apart because of not being engaged completely. This may or may not be your problem but if it skips in only 2nd and 6th I would think tranny not sprockets. If it were sprockets it would do it any time.

Chain skip. I had a chain streched indifferently and it felt like it was skipping. It was riding up the sprocket teeth and either skipping a tooth or jerking back into place.
Check chain adjustment. Not in one spot. Adjust it and check several spots on the chain.

Back