A Few Busa Questions Before Purchase.

Whitey04

Registered
Hello everyone,

I wrote out a thread and realized it was wayyyyy to long. So here my "edited" version.

Is the busa really a good mix of both worlds, Supersport blood with touring added in? I'm more touring oriented so that and commuting will be it's main jobs. I know this is a personal preference sort of thing but seems like a lot of people are choosing the busa for this task.

I'd like to hear about ownership and why you chose this bike over "any bike here".

Next and most importantly, should I just wait? Suzuki is designing the 3rd Gen, seems silly to buy a bike and it's outdated in one year. Does anyone have any info on this, like what's coming, are changes huge or minimal?

Thanks for your time.

Hello everyone,

I wrote out a thread and realized it was wayyyyy to long. So here my "edited" version.

Is the busa really a good mix of both worlds, Supersport blood with touring added in? I'm more touring oriented so that and commuting will be it's main jobs. I know this is a personal preference sort of thing but seems like a lot of people are choosing the busa for this task.

I'd like to hear about ownership and why you chose this bike over "any bike here".

Next and most importantly, should I just wait? Suzuki is designing the 3rd Gen, seems silly to buy a bike and it's outdated in one year. Does anyone have any info on this, like what's coming, are changes huge or minimal?

Thanks for your time.

It is the best mix of both worlds. I tour on my Hayabusa exclusively. I picked it for the task. Compared to other bikes I've owned, the "conversion cost" for touring was minimal. I added Heli-bars, a Corbin seat, and a ZGST shield from Pashnit. I've logged about 15000 mile so far in all of the 11 western states plus SD. Many will tell you that a Busa eats tires, but my experience has been about 12000 miles per set of Michelin PR2's. I can ride this bike all day in good comfort.

I chose this bike over all the others because it is the bike to have. It has nothing to prove. It's reputation is legendary. It's an icon. Mostly I picked it because I have always wanted one. I like to tour, and I feel like I didn't make any compromises compared to the other bikes I have toured on... including: Sportster, FXDL, R1150R, 900SS, and K1200Rs. It's not a Gold King, but I didn't want to be like everyone else.

You can wait for the elusive Gen 3 if you want, but I'd rather have a "last model year" than a "first model year". Mine is a 2007. I bought it used with low miles for $5500. I can't justify the cost of a new bike, and I'm happy. You have to make yourself happy.

Here is a tongue in cheek summary I wrote a while back (updated to be relevant in 2016):

Whatever you do, don't get a Hayabusa.

I bought a 2007 in March of 2012. I've only been able to put about 15000 miles on it so far, on trips to barely 11 of the 11 western states. The storage under the hump/seat is minimal. All I can fit in there is a multimeter, tire plug kit, electric compressor, jumper cables, electrical tape, fuses, factory took kit, craftsman ball-end allen set, vice grips, spare wire, screwdrivers, rags, a flashlight, extra gloves, and spare straps. In order to make it tolerable, I had to install heli-bars, a used Corbin seat, and a ZGST shield. This set me back almost $300. The fuel range is ridiculous. I can barely get to 200 miles before the low fuel light comes on, at which point I only have another 1.5 gallons. Mileage is pure suckage. If I travel at 90 mph, I barely get 46 mpg. If I'm on mountain roads where I average more like 60 mph, then I barely get into the mid-50's, with an all time high of 58 mpg. This is unacceptable for a bike that supposedly puts out 175 hp to the crank. Speaking of power, this thing is overrated. If I'm lazy, in 6th gear, going 60, it takes over 2 seconds to pass a car. I wish I had to down-shift more. They say it'll do 186, but I whacked it open once in the desert and barely got to 160 before I chickened out. It's not confidence inspiring at all. The worst thing is, in all my travels so far, I only met two other guys (in Buena Vista Colorado) on these torture machines. I could tell that their grins were totally painted on. I'd rather ride a bike that I see often, at every gas stop if possible... you know, like a Gold King! Speaking of torture, 600 miles is my daily record so far, but it wasn't bad, so I'm going to have to try harder to be more uncomfortable next year. One shouldn't be able to ride all day without discomfort. It's not right.

Whatever you do, don't get a Hayabusa.

Woops, forgot the pictures
UtahTrip 034.JPG
UtahTrip 005E.jpg

Thank you for the reply. I've owned many motorcycles as well and nothing has really filled the do all role real well. I'm just fearful I'm going to buy something new and feel it's no better then what I had. I've been eyeballing a busa for a really long time now but have never been able to pull the trigger. I signed up here in 09 and I'm still looking to give you an idea.

I felt the same way, for the most part. I have to really justify a purchase. On paper, the Hayabusa might not be any better than what you had. It might actually look worse on paper.

It's like a lot of other things in life... Do you just want a guitar, or do you want a USA Fender Stratocaster? Do you buy your jeans at Costco, or do you really want to wear 501's? Do you just want a motorcycle to commute on, or do you really want a Hayabusa?

I choose to wear 501's, I have a Strat hanging on my bedroom wall, and there is a Hayabusa parked in my garage. Don't compromise, don't look back.

Honestly, the thing that kept me from the Hayabusa for the longest time was the fear of the insurance premiums. I got over it.

image.jpeg
Bought a new 06LE and after ten years and 64,000 miles thru eleven states in all conditions, with NO repairs of any kind, just fluids, brake pads and tires, it's the best all around uber sport touring mount I've ever had. If I didn't already have one I would wait for the next Gen. They're great bikes.

One thing worth looking for is new bikes that are a couple years old that haven't sold yet. I got my 2013 back in December for $8800 which included no dealer fees or any of that. That makes it very easy to justify getting a new one. And a new gen3 won't be having those discounts for quite a while!

I think it does everything well ( I'm probably biased ) . I have like 114K miles on Busi, 78K miles on my current ride '08. My longest ride from memory was 13 hrs to the Keys and 12 hrs. home a few days later.

It has a sportbike rider position unlike other touring bikes. I'm not bothered by that but other riders have and will complain about it. You can always get a Gen III, many of us have been waiting for years and I have been told by a dealer this fall, which is a first. Dealers normally don't know and no one will know the changes until they ship. It's the way it has always been. I would imagine it will be an improvement.

I felt the same way, for the most part. I have to really justify a purchase. On paper, the Hayabusa might not be any better than what you had. It might actually look worse on paper.

It's like a lot of other things in life... Do you just want a guitar, or do you want a USA Fender Stratocaster? Do you buy your jeans at Costco, or do you really want to wear 501's? Do you just want a motorcycle to commute on, or do you really want a Hayabusa?

I choose to wear 501's, I have a Strat hanging on my bedroom wall, and there is a Hayabusa parked in my garage. Don't compromise, don't look back.

Honestly, the thing that kept me from the Hayabusa for the longest time was the fear of the insurance premiums. I got over it.

This could be a thread all on its own. With the way 1000's have been coming up I think the busa now has a lot of competition.

One thing worth looking for is new bikes that are a couple years old that haven't sold yet. I got my 2013 back in December for $8800 which included no dealer fees or any of that. That makes it very easy to justify getting a new one. And a new gen3 won't be having those discounts for quite a while!

Actually this is actually what reignited my interest. I just so happened to be perusing cycle trader after posting up my dad's bike and I was like damn, might be time to try out that busa. But every time I go to the dealer I just can't seem to pull the trigger, which left me with ending up here to get insight from fellow riders. Which leaves me with another question why are they so cheap? Lack of interest in the market place, dated bike? At least they finally put brembos on them.

Favorite bike to tour on by far :) Not the best though . The FJR only beat it in center stand / shaft drive so zero service while out touring . Gen 1 you can add a center stand to though , but not Gen II :(

20160514_122423_HDR_zpsnerxg2nl.jpg
20160515_063300_zpsszunhkvi.jpg
20160424_162611_zpsfpihcxjx.jpg

Great bike. Sorry, it has been outdated since 2012. They finally put abs on it but other than the mode switch there are no modern electronic aids. If that doesn't matter to you than go for it, I've got 50k on mine and will keep it forever. Drawbacks are, eats tires, heavy. Plusses are, amazing torque, amazing speed, stable handling when at speed. After all...

Well, personally I love my Gen I Busa, but aparently my body is not built for touring comfort on the Busa. I am very comfortable
on a Connie and some folks are comfy on the Busa, guess it all depends on how you're built. If there's any way you could talk
a friend into letting you use his for a day, that would be a good way to tell. Good luck on your quest.
BB

Well, personally I love my Gen I Busa, but aparently my body is not built for touring comfort on the Busa. I am very comfortable
on a Connie and some folks are comfy on the Busa, guess it all depends on how you're built. If there's any way you could talk
a friend into letting you use his for a day, that would be a good way to tell. Good luck on your quest.
BB
What's a Connie? Having a ride on one I think is the make or break for me. When I sit on it at the dealer the reach to the bars seems very far. I'm 5' 10" not short by any means. But if those Japan motorcycle show videos going around are true I'm gonna wait for the white scheme. Found a white 13 new in North Carolina but I'm not going to travel 700 miles to get a bike I'm not sure about.

Busa is a fine all rounder. Comfy to ride all day. Not exactly super sports nowadays, but I don't care. Have had my 2013 ABS version for 3 years, no dramas. Plenty of other bikes to choose from, I'm picking FJR1300 or Concours next for me, you'll likely be pondering those as well...

The Busa is okay to ride all day on, but not the same as a dedicated tourer such as the Kawasaki Concourse. I friend and I just came back from a 2300 km trip together. I was sore, he wasn't. I had to fill up every 230-250 km (and needed the stretch every 200). He didn't have to fill up until 400 or so km (so only about every other pit stop for him). We spent most of our time on the backroad twisties and I would need a break every 30 to 60 minutes from fatigue. He didn't.

The Connie has lots of torque, and he didn't have to try very hard to keep up with me on the straights (although I wasn't trying to lose him). He was able to hold his own in the corners, but that's where the Busa's sportbike configuration definitely showed its advantage, and why I am willing to put up with the sportbike-type ergos: it handles very well for my style of riding.

It's not as nimble as a dedicated sportbike due to it's weight, but I found it handles very well nonetheless (especially after I had the back raised 1" to increase the head angle -- make the angle of the forks steeper).

I've had a few bikes so far, and it's definitely my favourite. It's size and power will allow it to tour. It's sportbike configuration will allow it to carve corners quite well, but places your weight on your hands, wrists and arms. The handle bars can be raised with Heli-bars or a Genmar riser and that will help increase the comfort on the arms and wrists (but in no way is it as comfortable as sitting upright on a touring bike). For me, it's a good compromise.

Here's a vid of me on the Busa at Deals Gap:

Back