A discussion about thermals and temps not coolant temps.

TallTom

Registered
Kind of an interesting exchange I had today. More of a differing view on temps rather than a disagreement.

Let me start the same exchange here and see how it falls out.

I am old school in a lot of my thinking so I may be totally off base.

Here is the scenario. If you have had your bike up to temp from a ride and it has sat for say 45 mins or so. When you re-start it isn't a cold start. But it isn't back up to all operating temps, what is your opinion on how hard is safe to ride it at that stage.

I was riding today and happened to get into an exchange with a fellow rider. We both had sat for the same amount of time and agreed to ride to a next stop. So I get on and my bike is off the cold mark but definitely not up to temp. We idled up for maybe 15 seconds and pulled off and he hauled ass to red line at full power. I lagged back and took things easy. We got the next spot and he asked me if I was having troubles with my bike? I said no. He said why did I lay back? I said I wanted to get mine up to temp a little better. His position is, the bikes had already been thermal soaked and lubricated. There was no temperature extremes. No harm would come to them. Which may well be true. I know no harm will come to it if it is up to full temp by way of the gauge telling me so. His point was, that is engine coolant temp. Not really an indicator of lubrication or thermal metal issues. Coolant temp isn't relevant to engine heat requirements for operation. Which I never gave much thought to until then. But that is right. In theory, I can run coolant at 50 degrees and all that would happen is the thermostat would close off to keep the engine head temps where they needed to be. How much thermal heat range is relevant metallurgicly speaking? I mean nothing is materially different expansion and contraction wise once it has been warmed up to soaked condition.

I guess I can't argue differently. I mean, oil flows at all temps now with multi viscosity etc. Fuel is injected so that temp is not really relevant. Oil pressure is established at start up and idle. Plenty of time to have made a circuit in the engine at least once. Bearings etc are really not that much different for clearances unless the engine is at cold start temps.

So maybe I just need to get with the times and let her rip after start up and idle.

You guys chime in with your opinions.

Like you I have never really thought that far into it. I look forward to reading how this discussion goes.

I guess I am in the old fashion camp here when I start up my bike up from cold I let it idle maybe 1 to 2 minutes or about the same time it takes to put on my helmet gloves :thumbsup:

I guess I am in the old fashion camp here when I start up my bike up from cold I let it idle maybe 1 to 2 minutes or about the same time it takes to put on my helmet gloves :thumbsup:

+1
and I cruise for a few minutes as the engine warms up.
If I've been riding previously to where the engine or exhaust are still warm to the touch, then I again let it idle as I put on helmet and gloves. Then rip it again once the tires are warm enough for the conditions.
Parts need to be warm so tolerances tighten and oil thins.
Some warm up is needed.
I'de be just as, if not more concerned with tire temperature(suspension handles properly after it's oil warms some also).
Tire temps depend on alot of factors, psi, weather, ect.
Cold tires don't stick, especially on cold roads.
If the engine blows hopefully you can pull the clutch before a locked rear wheel puts you down.
If a tire slips, especially the front, your chances of saving it are much less.
The average crash costs more than an engine too

Back