A different kind of mirror question

TallTom

Registered
Ok this may sound newbie. I still consider myself a newbie on my Busa. But I'm getting used to it enough to start wondering how to address a few things. Here is one. If I have my mirrors adjusted the way I like and need to for the majority of my driving they are fine. But I find now that I am starting to tuck at higher speeds, neither of my mirrors are ever useable in the position I have them in for most of my driving. And to try and adjust them in a tuck at speed just ain't sounding like the right way to solve this.

So how do you guys set up your mirrors so that they show you the behind view you need, in both driving positions (upright and tucked)?

It almost seems likie you have to adjust one for one position and one for the other. That gives me less secure feeling to give up half my rear viewing at any given time.

Also if I am in the tuck, I am right up against my tank. No room for a tank mounted GPS etc. Does everyone mount thier gear up on the triple tree or what?

I'm 6'6" so I don't have a lot of options as far as tank mounted anything. I need every bit of space for tucking in. I already went to a DB screen to give me more tuck space.

Any help here on suggestions or preferences?

Most likely if you are in a tuck riding position, you dont need to worry whats behind you. Just look straight ahead for all the dangers you are about to pass!!!!!

My initilal response is that at speed and tucked I don't use the mirrors. I am moving faster than anything coming up from behind. Here there really aren't very many places that you can do extended high speed runs, just a few seconds up top anyway. I may get flamed for looking at it like that but that is my opinion.

Don

OK well I do like looking behind me when I see one of our local speed traps. I look to see if any of the POPO are on the move after I pass them. They are now using cars that are so completely unmarked you don't know they are POPO until you see them pull out of traffic. Last one was whitewalled, regular plated Pontiac with absolutely nothing but a small light bar in the front and back inside the car, that you don't see unless they are turned on or you are right next to the car looking in. I would NEVER have suspected it as POPO. He had a car pulled over writing a ticket.

I like to watch what is trying to move up behind me in case I need to tuck back into to slow lane and play Clark Kent for a few miles. I don't do triple digits but I do **cough** **cough** occasionaly exceed posted speed limits.

Plus if I am not doing anything particularly fast, just tucked in, I want to see if anyone needs to pass me and give them a wide berth on the interstate.

Not really an answer to your situation. Just my point of view.

I am 6'1 and I have the same issue. I just adjust my mirrors for my normal riding position. If I know I will be tucking in I will adjust my mirrors for that ride before I go.

I really dont do much tucking unless I am out of traffic, so I mainly keep eyes forward.

If I'm going between tuck and upright, I'll adjust my mirrors so they are a little low when upright and a little high when tucked.

Not ideal, but it works for me.

like you said.  if you feel the need adj one up and the other one for tuck.  what ever makes you comfortable. with that being said. never trust your mirrors

TallTom

I just noticed that you are in Florida as well. What part? I am in Jax.

beerchug.gif

For the GPS mount. I use a RAM mount with my GPS. I had a 1" Ram ball mounted on the steering stem. It used about a 12" piece of 1/4" all thread dropped through the stem and a washer and nut on the bottom. There is a post on here with pictures. Search on GPS AND Ram AND Mount and see what you can come up with.

I have since added a steering stabilizer and have had to move it from the stem. I mounted the ball on the end (inside) of the left handlebar tube. It is solid so I drilled and tapped the center to ¼-20. I then inserted a ¼ -20 x 1â€￾ allen set screw and put the ball on it. Both worked pretty well but I preferred the stem mount and would have left it if not for the stabilizer. I’ll try to post a current picture Friday.

I have the same problem. It concerns me because there is the possibility that other vehicles are also speeding, too. Unless you know what's behind you, you might slow down when someone else is still speeding behind you.

I was wondering if the mirror mod with spacers or GSXR-1000 mirrors can provide a good view for tuck and normal riding positions without the need for adjustments.

Steelhead

From the movie Gumball Rally I give you the immortal words of Franco (Raul Julia):

"And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving [Hayabusa riding].
[Franco rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it out of the car]
What's-a behind me is not important. "

(Icy1 @ Oct. 12 2006,09:08) From the movie Gumball Rally I give you the immortal words of Franco (Raul Julia):

"And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving [Hayabusa riding].
[Franco rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it out of the car]
What's-a behind me is not important. "
The same line came to me when I read this thread
smile.gif

I have seen a bike with a small parabolic mirror stuck on the rearviews- it was someone at the MeetnGreet, maybe they will post up with an eval.
rock.gif

(Shibumi @ Oct. 12 2006,10:24) I have seen a bike with a small parabolic mirror stuck on the rearviews- it was someone at the MeetnGreet, maybe they will post up with an eval.  
rock.gif
You can buy them at Wal-Mart for like 3 bucks. They're adhesive. They work pretty well for those of us dumb enough to trust our mirrors
all_coholic.gif

(Haelo @ Oct. 12 2006,07:38) You can buy them at Wal-Mart for like 3 bucks. They're adhesive. They work pretty well for those of us dumb enough to trust our mirrors
all_coholic.gif
Trust?

Use mirrors - yes

Trust mirrors - no way - that's why the shield on the helmet goes around to the side - turn your eyes and head and LOOK

At least your mirrors do "something" . All mine show are armpits when sitting up and shoulders in the tuck .
sad.gif

if I'm tucked the only thing I will be worried about is whats in front of me because I won't tuck until sweeping past 100 mph, other than that I'm upright IMHO

Back