A day at the shop

Big O

Physicist Genii
Donating Member
Registered
I needed new tires and a chain so I spent a couple of hours at Crago Racing. I got new Metzeler Sportec front and rear. They're supposed to grip like the Dunlop 207s I had but last a lot longer. And after 21k miles it was time for a new chain.

Here's the new front.

Tire_Metzeler_Sportec_Front.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony does all the chrome work at the shop, Jeff's the owner and does rebuilds, 1400 overbuild kits, nitrous, etc. Here's a bike that Tony just got done putting back together.

Chrome_Rear.jpg

A shot of the front:

Chrome_Front.jpg

They use Astro Plating for all the chrome work and actually did four bikes for the Biker Boys movie.

Tires tires..yep...did you wear out the one that was new in Vegas..how many miles did you get? And what did the chain look like..before you replaced it..was it spittin' rust out the orings..that is the first sign..?? Best to replace it right then..sprockets will last a long time... Nice post thanks!

definitely looks better than the vegas shot of da bike up on a jack.....
wow.gif

btw, did I mention the awesomely looking fast Blue/Black color scheme on dat bike??
biggrin.gif

Tires tires..yep...did you wear out the one that was new in Vegas..how many miles did you get? And what did the chain look like..before you replaced it..was it spittin' rust out the orings..that is the first sign..?? Best to replace it right then..sprockets will last a long time... Nice post thanks!
Yeah Brenn, I wondered the same thing. Not much use from the Vegas tire...

Also, I added a new chain to my '01 last weekend because it was missing an o-ring and spitting rust. I kept the sprokets since they only had 2k on them...

Ride Safe!

The rear lasted only about 4k miles. The front only about 3k miles, I didn't have the right pressure in it. Expensive lesson.

The chain looked good, no rust, but it was getting kinks in the links, and there was a lot of side play in it. You could move the chain about 1 1/2 inches either way. Rear sprocket still good after 21k miles.

I think if you're spitting rust and missing O rings, you're way overdue.

I'm going shopping around for a helmet next, mine is about 5 years old. I'll try on a bunch of them at different shops and then have Jeff at Crago Racing order it for me. I've been with him for 10 years. He's a good mechanic and gives me good prices for anything I buy from him. For that he gets my money.

Good job Bren. Keep us updated on the Metzeler's as to how they perform and wear. Just want to be prepared for when I have to change out the tires. Keep the shiny side up!

Brian

21k that's good mileage for the chain...I'm staying with the factory tires their fine for my style of riding and it took forever to burn the rear up and the front is still fine...
wink.gif

I needed new tires and a chain so I spent a couple of hours at Crago Racing.  I got new Metzeler Sportec front and rear.  They're supposed to grip like the Dunlop 207s I had but last a lot longer.  And after 21k miles it was time for a new chain.

Here's the new front.
Looks like you front tire is on the wrong direction. The rain grooves

Looks like you front tire is on the wrong direction.  The rain grooves
The rotation arrow is pointed in the right direction.  
rock.gif
I was talking about the first picture, one with the Busa.  As the wheel rolls it will be forcing the water to the center of the tire and not away from it.  It looks right on the picture further down the post.  Just wondering
rock.gif
Oh ok I see, I would guess, by the tire being curved, not flat like a car tire, most of the water would be forced out to the sides. Hopefully I won't be riding in water deep enough to cause hydroplaning!

rock.gif

That being said...I got out today and "tested" the new tires. They have excellent grip, didn't "push" and held the lines really well. The rounder profile increased the flickability in the twisties.
Here's the front:

Metzler_Stripless_Front.jpg

Back