A bit of an adrenaline rush today

yeah we don't want to loose any membors nor see any more flattend bikes, im very glad you had your thinking cap on, and go out and buy yourself a lotto ticket now, you lucky sob
:poke:

And the biggest lesson of all, which probably was the reason I was too close to the car in front of me in the first place:
Never EVER fight with the wife and get on the bike to unwind. THATS why I did the Saturday L.I. loop today, and even if I thought I was "all there", apparently I was not.

That's it!!! I love it!! It's really great to hear a rider admit to being human and not blaming something or someone else. That's the best way to learn from experience. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would also add that focusing most of your attention 1/4 to 1/2 mile down the road will help you to see problems way ahead of time so you can slow gradually which will hopefully cause those behind you to slow gradually as well.:beerchug:

Looking well down the road and using peripheral vision to keep tabs on those in front of you is a valuable skill for the street and the track.

well, there are close calls, and then there are really close calls. Today was really close. Took the bike out of the city to l.i. To make my saturday long island loop. Coming back on one of l.i.'s finest racetracks (aka southern state parkway), im cruising along when the traffic came to an extremely sudden stop... So sudden in fact, that i didnt even have time to downshift.
Something about this situation happening so suddenly told me to get out of the line of fire, so while im in heavy decel mode, i pulled out of the left hand lane into the marbles next to the guardrail "just in case" the cage behind me was snoozing, on the cell, etc...
Well, that cage plowed into the back of the car i had just been behind, and i had a ringside seat to the whole thing. I woulda been a pretty thin piece of bologna if i had not moved out of that lane.
Another white nukk-lah lesson learned.
:shocked: :please:

wow!! Great thinking and good job!!!!

Well done!!! Glad to hear that you were not hurt!!!!
We must ALWAYS be alert and pay attention to whats going on.
Thanks for sharing!:beerchug:

It is refreshing to hear that you were paying attention to the traffic in front ADN behind you. I am always worried about the four wheeler behind me. Buddy got hit once and almost totalled the bike and him. Anyway, glad that you and the Busa are still around to tell us about it. I'll have a beer for the occasion tonight!

Way to adapt to the situation, but as another member has stated, you were probably following a little on the close side. We all do it sometimes, but you have to remember to back up a little bit in traffic and give you a cushion in front.

Glad you're okay, though.

Lesson #21: listen to your wife. Sometimes. LOL.

Southern is really bad for sudden stops of traffic.

Try Jackie Robinson - short but sweet. If you have more time, try Taconic Raceway, err.. Parkway via Hutchinson. And if you have even more time, follow Taconic to Rt. 301 - that's Putnam Co. - Rt. 301 between Taconic and Carmel - that's full day affair.

Back