A Better Gen 2

jchbusa

Registered
Hi All

Well its my 50th on Monday and er-indoors has given me permission to spend some dosh on the Busa :-)

So

Its going to Motrac Racing in Cheshire for

A dyno at stock (GSX 1300 RA L6) Z model with the Yoshi cans.

An ECU Flash so all the Suzuki restrictions can be removed (what's the point of having one of the fastest production bikes if its restricted)
removal of downpipes and CAT and replaced with BlackWidow pipes.
A PCV and remap for the bike.

A dyno with all mods complete.

I am hoping to jump from 172BHP at the rear wheel to about 200BHP or am I dreaming?

I am also trying to find out the best air filter to upgrade too. I have looked around and the consensus is that the genII air box is as about as good as it gets apart from trying to seal the air ram tubes up as much as possible.

Can anyone pipe up with anything else I can do to MAX out the HP while I have a sort of open cheque book?

I have the black widow exhaust (too quiet, small inside can pipe diameter) on my 2008, if your looking for hp gains & sound, you will be better off with the Yoshimura Full Race Exhaust (don't buy the street version).

I just had the ECU on my '13 flashed by Frank at Powerhouse, and that alone will change the way your bike rides. Kinda like Nosbig said, much smoother with crisper throttle response. Not to mention the unrestricted power in the lower gears... If a full exhaust and an ECU flash doesn't make you happy, maybe play with your gearing a bit. A stock height/wheelbase bike will be a handful for mere mortals at that point anyway.

I honestly don't think yoshimura pipes are the go to exhaust for power. I have ran their r77 slipon dual cans with stock header, slipons with aftermarket header and now running their full "race" r77 system. I like the looks of the carbon cans, quality and how quiet it is compared to others, but if you are after performance, most agree that Brock's is far better to get some HP out of your bike. Very loud pipe from what everyone says.

first of all don't get black widow downpipes they are cheap and will hold you back, from my experiences you might see 185 TO 195 hp on a realistic rolling road with 4 :1 akra WITH downpipes and ecu MOD,any aftermarket might add 1 hp , try DNA or BMC
if you have the dosh add more cc , 1396 or 1441 then you should see 200 - 210 hp

Hhhhmmm thanks for all the info guys. Afraid I have already bought the BW downpipes so they will have to go on after the stock dyno and will have to wait and see what the results are. I will say that after removing the baffles from the Yoshis its about as load as I would like so not sure how the CAT removal and BW downpipes will add to this?
Its just my first go at getting the most out of this bike and I am in the hands of Steve at Motrac racing and will see what he says in the morning after the stock dyno etc.
Will keep you all posted with the results :-)

Fair enough just can’t wait to see what happens tomorrow and Tuesday. I am sure if we don't get to the 200 then there will be options to get there :-)

TBH it’s all new to me and no haven't done all the exhaustive research (not being lazy just time and er-indoors etc.!!)

UPDATE:

Had the restrictions removed from the ECU and the PCV fitted and tuned, also removed the R77 lower baffles (WOW they are big see pics) and obviously the BW downpipes.....
Bit disappointed as only got 184bhp top end but did get another 14bhp on the midrange. It does ride differently with a better response now but was expecting a bit more pull your arms off sort of thing.

LOUD isn't the word for it but it does sound really nice. If you blip the throttle you get an even louder split-second sound. Have set a few car alarms off by mistake and it does get you noticed. Haven't been stopped yet but haven't ridden it much since due to weather. As I have to ride the Mersey tunnels everyday I have to try and keep a low volume but if you let rip I am sure it can be heard at either end :-)
Anyway when I first got the bike I removed the DB killers and then decided I liked the insert so I took the tube off and cut it so it matched the insert length. Then decided it liked it better without the insert so removed them again.
Now I need to put them back in to see if I can just take the edge of the noise. Does anyone know what the material the tube is made of or if it could be welded back on?

Looking for the next step as want 200bhp+ so looking a full system 4-1 but not sure if I like the bike with a bare side. Looking into what Shade said about ported head and cams.

20170305_125917.jpg

20170305_130101.jpg

20170305_130537.jpg

1460834221123.jpg

Go with a full system by akro, yosh or brocks. Also don't get to hung up on a dyno number. It's just a number what's important is how the bike is running. Your guy may have a stingy dyno. 14 hp gain in the mid range sounds pretty good to me. That is where most of us ride anyway.

The only way your going to get 200 with bolt on's is if you spray it or call Richard at RCC for a turbo. Other wise you have to open the motor to get it.

I am at 191 hp and that may be a happy dyno so who knows what is really there. It may be 185 on someone elses dyno. Doesn't matter I don't race and I have more power than I can use on the road .

Yep, that's what's pissing me off about the Gen III release. And obviously I need to read to the end LMBO

Well guys this is how I see it....

Its nice to have the extra power to match anything out there including all cars etc. BUT like you say this comes at a price and of course being old and wise (unlike a 20 something's) nothing against 20 something's (been there and learnt lot's of things) they have the extra get up and go but have a lack in the common sense department and thoughts about how this extra power can end up being in a coffin!
I have been up against a few Porsche's in my time (had trouble shaking one of them off but didn't get a chance to find it what it was) another was a W12 Audi of some kind I think anyway as couldn't clock it after it overtook me on the M53 with me on full power but all I could say at the time is that I need to be able to take control of this sort of situation and not come out worse off!!

Since I have been riding the Busa at stock (2008) I have got very used to it. After this upgrade yes I agree there is a more 'be careful with me' but nowhere near enough for me. Yes I will admit that its taken me back a bit to when I first passed my test and rode in to the dealers on the 500 and back out on a Busa :-) and that's were my age came in useful!!

Talking to the people who took the restrictions of the ECU because the tuner I used didn't have the equipment etc. as he had to take it to them which I didn't know about until my Biketrac said it had been to!. They say that the increase from 178 to 184 wasn't near enough considering the mods done. I have another issue in that when 1st gear is engaged and the clutch switch comes into play (before clutch bite) the engine increases in RPM which makes the launch control more difficult in normal traffic so they said they will put the stock map back on and do some tests and go from there.

I disagree with you nosbig as feel the 200bhp+ is achievable (with other peoples advice of course) and without a turbo (happy to open it up though if needed) and I would prefer to have more than I can handle on the road if I decided to go there (probably never but that's me)

Will keep you all posted on the progress of my quest as er-indoors isn't aware at present of what I am up to at the moment that is, but that could all change at a moments notice of course!!

:-)

Reactions: Zee
I totally understand where you are coming from. I too would like to get more power out of mine. I just know that I am at the point where the "cheap HP" is all had up. At this point I have to put some real cash into it if I want more. If you are willing to open up the motor then 200+ is pretty easy. I just haven't heard of anyone (running a safe air/fuel ratio) getting there with just bolt ons and a tune.

Please keep us posted on your progress. Love to hear about people making power.

+1
There has Never been a gen2 Busa with a pipe and tune, and no restrictions, make 200hp or more at the wheel.
You need to port, polish, cam, bore, stroke, nitros, sc, or turbo to get there.
Every dyno and every tuner is different; but, thr concensus is that piped and tuned gen2s make mid 180s to very low 190s at the wheel.
No disrespect sir, but if you could truly make over 200whp on a gen2 with only an exhaust and tune...you would be the world's first in nearly 10 years.
And, you're only talking 10-15 more hp.
Noticeable, but not dramatic.

Back