A bad day at the tire shop

Highlander

Donating Member
Registered
I call a well respected, high volume motorcycle tire dealer a few days ago, wanting to buy a set of Dunlop Q2’s for my 07. They have several fronts, but only 1 rear in 190-50-17. I put up $100 on a Visa, for them to hold them ‘til today. Last night I pull both wheels, and go there this morning to have them mounted. They’re held back as promised, and told they’ll be ready in 30 minutes. We go grab a bite to eat & return 45 minutes later.

They’re all mounted up, leaning against the wall, and the man gives me the bill for the remainder due. I walk over to the tires, pick up the front, and set it up on the counter to inspect it, for proper mounting, how many weights, and to make sure the direction is correct. The front tire is so greasy, it’s like someone coated the entire tire with a coat of liquefied Vaseline. It was a clear color grease, from looking at my hands. I set the rear tire up on the counter, and found it to be only half as greasy as the front, and that they installed a 190-55 instead of the 190-50 I asked for. I showed him the other Q2’s on the tire rack, that were normal, clean, and non greasy. I told him to remove those tires from my wheels. No argument from them, they’ll do it, but no other Q2’s in the size I want. So they offer me 10% off a set of Michelin PP 2CT’s.

I agree to this, and wait for these to be mounted up. I go to the restroom to wash my greasy hands. Then 20 minutes later, they carry them out. I again set each one up on the counter, and inspect them closely. Great! No greasy feeling, but the front tire is mounted backwards! The embarrassment on his face was big, and I watched him carry the front wheel back and turn it right himself, and rebalance it, instead of giving it to the young “tire technicianâ€.

This was no small shop, they are a dealer for high end motorcycles, a beautiful, large facility, with all new Coats tire changers and balancers. I have no doubt, that if I installed those greasy Q2’s, I would have had a crash within the first mile. I did talk to upper management, and they were glad I brought it to their attention.

The only time this bike was in a shop, was to the Suzuki dealership I bought it from, for its 600 mile oil change, to stay under warranty, and they misaligned the rear axle, and had the chain too tight. I’m more disappointed than angry, over the incompetent work I’ve seen.

I post this for the less mechanically inclined, who would drop their bike off at a shop, trusting that it will be serviced by competent people.

Anyone who has work performed, at any shop, regardless of their stellar reputation, inspect that work closely, it might just save your bike, and your life!
If you don’t know what to look for, bring a friend who does. Rant over.

we all have those type of days at the dealer...best you kept a level head and respectfully asked for things to be right

GOOD RANT. :bowdown: Since I was about twelve I've never really trusted anybody to do anything even on my pedal bike. Have just done the "learn as you go thing". Ask for advice/opions for sure,but better to turn the wrench yerself if you can.

The only things I don't do are things like chroming and dyno etc,these take expensive equipment.I also dont tackle "crew" type jobs like roofing,but I do watch closely.

Some folks would have just walked out,greasy tire in hand. Just because they are a dealer doesn't mean it wasn't that kids first day on the tire machine.

Good on you.:thumbsup:

RSD.

I like your style... investigate 1st, determine what needs attention, then ask the person in charge politely to remedy the problem. Your not only protecting yourself, your protecting the dealership from itself and giving them an opportunity to raise their standards. I can only imagine the lawsuit problem a dealer might have doing shoddy work on an infrequent basis.

Thats why I avoid large "stealerships" like that at all costs. I am lucky to have a quality mechanic that operates out of a small shop. He takes his time does the job right and still charges me half the labor rate of a major dealership. The problem with those places are anybody and I do mean ANYBODY can go turn a wrench for them with little to no experience whatsoever :banghead: If there is a problem or I have a question about my bike I can call or text him whenever and he usually gets right back to me. Been going to him for years now and he knows that I'm a valued customer...... a repeat customer so I get treated as such. To those large stealerships your just another sucker who they will try to milk out as much as they can with giving you as little in return. You dont like it dont come back, there will be another sucker to take your place :whistle:

They do look at you funny when you inspect the tire for correct rotation dont they? What do they expect, I have seen them mounted the wrong way and always inspect my wheels.

Part of the problem is the shops charge $80 and hour but pay their service technicians a small fraction of that. If you want people to do professional work, pay them to do professional work, and they will.

Most folks prefer the 55 over the 50 series rear tire. My question is why do you prefer the 50 series?

You gave up the best performance tire on the market (Dunlop Q2) for an old outdated PP2? You best cut out the weed before you go to the tire shop! :poke:

I can't believe they ruined those Dunlop Q2s. It seems like bike shops hire from the bottom of the barrel. LUCKILY, I have had fantastic service from a 23 year bike mechanic. He does everything right for me.

The tire flopper is grunt work...even though it is a critical....an engine guy started as a tire guy....the sad truth nobody checked his work + the way the shop handled the issue

Several of us guys bought a No-Mar tire changer a few years ago. We don't use it much, but I think it has about paid for itself already. It's nice not having to leave work on my lunch break to drop off a wheel then hurry across town after work to get it. We do pretty much all our own work oursleves.

Most folks prefer the 55 over the 50 series rear tire. My question is why do you prefer the 50 series?

You gave up the best performance tire on the market (Dunlop Q2) for an old outdated PP2? You best cut out the weed before you go to the tire shop! :poke:

I know of only a few on here that have recommended the 55, and i know that's a personal preference/opinion. I figured Suzuki knew what it was doing when they put 50's on it, so that's what I wanted. I was tired & frustrated when I chose those PP2's, and looking back, should have left & went to Cycle Gear, an 80 mile round trip. I live in the mountains, but don't push it real hard in curves. I'd had Pilot Road 2's before, and did well, so I hope these will be a little better than them. No weed before the tire shop, but darn sure needed one after!

Back