999 Just Smoked me!!!

archeryblackdog

Registered
Hello all:

Saturday I was on the freeway, with very ligth trafic, (It was me 200# and my wife about 160#)we where both wearing helmets, we must have been doing arround 70MPH when a yellow Ducati 999 with an other couple on board, (the gal in the back was wearing a helmet, the rider was not).

The bike was aprocing fast in the rear view mirrow!

I gave it some gas (Red Line in 3rd) when the 999 passes zooming by us, I could hear the roaring of their exhaust, I felt his bike wasmuch faster than mine.
banghead.gif

Twice the 999 close on me with the same results the guy just smoked me... I do not not if I froze and redline the engine loosing torc or what a heck!
clap.gif

My bike (Hayabusa 2006 Limited) has some very simple mods: Power Commander, R22 yoshimura's Bolt Ons, and a 44t rear sprocket for added response.

Any input on how the Hayabusa compares with the ducati at moderate speeds, lets say 70 to 100 mph? any Ideas why did guy just bashed me?

Thanks for your input!

You should walk away with even starts at any speed. He could have a big bore kit or was sprayin on you.

wtf.gif
your Busa Pilot License is revoked. Smoked an R1 with me two up coming off the mountain after the Bash, fugging 999
laugh.gif

Well lets see if you were not doing a roll on race he was probaly at a much higher speed than you were and you needed need to catch up is one option, Second is You could have been at a weight disadvantage meaning you had more weight on your bike so it takes longer for your bike with more weight to get up to speed. Third and forth are yes he might have been running a big bore or spraying but my bet is on the first 2. Oh and lets not forget that the 999 is no punk they are fast bikes not to mention they are about 100 Lbs lighter than the Busa just like the rest of the Liter bikes

The 44 tooth rear sprocket was probably contributing too. You just cut your bottom end down so it takes a while to get up to speed. I have a buddy with 16/40 sprocket config. and I run stock 17/40. He kills me on bottom end and roll off. But he runs high in rpm all the time and red line quick. That's when I walk away. You are getting the reverse effect. The gearing you have is for top end not bottom. He probably had both hands on the throttle when he passed you.

The 44 tooth rear sprocket was probably contributing too.   You just cut your bottom end down so it takes a while to get up to speed.  I have a buddy with 16/40 sprocket config. and I run stock 17/40.  He kills me on bottom end and roll off. But he runs high in rpm all the time and red line quick.  That's when I walk away.  You are getting the reverse effect.  The gearing you have is for top end not bottom.  He probably had both hands on the throttle when he passed you.
I may be wrong, as a matter of fact I bet I am, but I was under the impresion that 44t on the rear was going to give me more low end torc? which is after all the reason way I did this you know from 30 mph to 100mph!

I think that guy had something in his bike, Plus less weigth and probably some other advantage.

Yes the 44 in the rear should give you low end I just think the guy was already moving allot faster than you and the weight on your bike was slowing you down. I bet if it had been an even roll on you would have kept up with him and then walked him top end. But you must remember that all the liter bikes are really fast on the low end that is what they were design for.

Trying to catch something that is already moving is way different than running at the same speed and rolling on and even that if you are in the wrong gear can go way wrong. Ducs are no slouches... We may have had the top speed at one point but we are no longer the quickest...

Trying to catch something that is already moving is way different than running at the same speed and rolling on and even that if you are in the wrong gear can go way wrong.  Ducs are no slouches...  We may have had the top speed at one point but we are no longer the quickest...
beerchug.gif
on that

You don't know that it was stock. There were gsxrs at the track with over 180 RWHP weighing in 100 lbs less than the Busa.

Bow down to the Duc    

PA080019.jpg

He had to have a massive run on you, or a turbo kit  
winkold.gif
  My 2V Ducati has nuttin for my Busa

He had more speed and was already in a higher gear so
there was nothing you could dobut get smoked.

Being a Duc owner (998), I can tell you he had a good run on you when he passed  
whistling.gif
 . If so, your not going to catch him real quickly. But, a side by side roll on at 70 plus, the Duc will not keep up with the Busa
sadnews.gif
. Now, in the twistys, he'll smoke you
laugh.gif
. Well
winkold.gif
that is if he know how to ride the Duc
tounge.gif

just as everyone ese noted... it takes alot of time to get up to a higher speed and catch someone who's already up in speeds and passing you...Plus you're running two up.

I doubt the duc was heavily moded (costs a ton to do it) he just had the drop on ya'

isn't redlining 3rd gear about 160mph?? and the 999 was hitting this helmetless? I'll always drop 2 or 3 gears if I need a sudden increase in power/speed for quick getaways

Heck if it was Yellow it could have even been a 749!  
firedevil.gif
No, No, it was a 999 I am sure of it as I saw the numbers in the fron fairing! when I cougth up with him in traffic.

I am thincking the guy just plain simple was in a sweet spot in the RPM / Gear combination of his bike and had a faster throtle hand than mine.

My BUSA license shall be revoked.

AHHHHH and to top the day off a guy in a white Acura does his best to show off with a couple of girls in his cage. But that was a no brainer. Lets just say that in whitin 150' the guy knew where his place was.

It's not very funny how many people when they see you in a BUSA try to smoke you, or show off or give you a hard time

Back