99 to 2001 tank swap

IL_Bow_Man

Registered
Ok...so I am in the midst of switching this over and have a few questions hopefully you guys can help with since I don't have an 01 service manual.

Off the front of my 01 tank I have 2 hoses. What exactly is each one? I can't post picts from my phone, so I can post them in the morning.

Also, from my gathering I have a cali model with the canister back on my tail. I hope one of these lines is for that and the other is drain or breather? Is there a procedure to follow to remove the canister and be done with it?

Thanks

Here is the picture of the 2001 tank with the 2 lines.

20130529_082355.jpg

both hoses go down to the back corner of the clutch cover, one is a drain, and one is a vent

the line that goes to the charcoal can n the tail should be the same as the vent line if I remember correctly. I did remove that from one of the old bikes and just run it down to atmosphere and remove the rest from the tail.

Gixer, thanks again for your help previously and again now.

My bike has the cali emissions on it. There is that pesky canister on the tail that previously ran to the tank with one line and the other line heads up to each carb. From somebody I talked to, I should be able to just remove the canister and the lines and plug the lines going to the carb. Do you think this is the case as well?

I know I asked you before, but I can't recall if you answered and I deleted the message or what. Do you know the wire colors on the in tank pump for the 2001 that would match up to the 99. And by chance do you know the molex connector number to hook right up to the new pump with out cutting wires? I was thinking of taking the wires off the old pump and sender and making a nice soldered up lead so I don't have to cut wires on the harness of the bike.

I am guessing you are doing the external to internal style pump setup with some Cali emissions thrown in?

When I did mine, I got the tank, pump, fuel line and fuel rail. I had a newer style harness and took the connector for the pump off that and soldered it in. I also cut the old plug off the sender and soldered it into the new plug, too.

If you cannot get the whole fuel rail, just get the newer style fitting and insert it to your old fuel rail.

You are correct. I got the fuel line and the corresponding nipple for the fuel rail from GixrHP. I am going to cut the connectors off the old sending unit and pump so I don't have to cut into the harness. But I need to find a 4 wire molex connector of some type to put on the pump. I checked the local Napa store and they have no molex connectors of any type...bleh. Any ida on where to source some of these with quick delivery time?

Tonight I was going to remove the cali emissions crap. I just hope it runs when I am all done. Removing the Cali crap and the pair valve and routing the remaining vac lines the correct way as they were not correct when I took them off. Hope I get it right...lol

I am guessing you are doing the external to internal style pump setup with some Cali emissions thrown in?

When I did mine, I got the tank, pump, fuel line and fuel rail. I had a newer style harness and took the connector for the pump off that and soldered it in. I also cut the old plug off the sender and soldered it into the new plug, too.

If you cannot get the whole fuel rail, just get the newer style fitting and insert it to your old fuel rail.

You are correct. I got the fuel line and the corresponding nipple for the fuel rail from GixrHP. I am going to cut the connectors off the old sending unit and pump so I don't have to cut into the harness. But I need to find a 4 wire molex connector of some type to put on the pump. I checked the local Napa store and they have no molex connectors of any type...bleh. Any ida on where to source some of these with quick delivery time?

Tonight I was going to remove the cali emissions crap. I just hope it runs when I am all done. Removing the Cali crap and the pair valve and routing the remaining vac lines the correct way as they were not correct when I took them off. Hope I get it right...lol
Just use a flat 4 trailer connector, you can find those at walmart

hey GIXERHP, I was sorting through my vac lines and I came across the vac line that comes from the IAPS on the back of the Air Box. It leaves there and T's to the carbs and the other went to the old pump. Do I just get rid of the T and run it only to the carbs? From what I read in the service manual it says it just goes to carb. But the the picture layout shows it going to both. My newer pump does not have a place to hook a vac line.

Just wanted to give an update.

I rode it home from work (where I have been working on it) which is 30 miles and added another 20 just riding her. She seems to be running good. I do have an F1 error flashing that I need to try and track down. Think that may be tricky, but I will have to try. I only got on it partially hard once to see how she would react (which was great) and then I down shifted 3 gears which would normally send it into a backfire and popping rage....it had nothing. I was a happy camper.

I have a few odd issues I need to work on such as headlight flaking in and out because of something loose in the harness main plugs...not sure what is going on there.

Thanks for all your guys help and especially Gixer for fielding a few phone calls and digging up parts that worked great for me.

Back