99 Ford Mustang....Project

VIPER

Formerly known as viperblackbusa.
Registered
So i know i am going to be bored this winter right....? Well, maybe not so much. I just snagged a 99 ford mustang v6. Body is in mint condition car has roughly 100k on the clock. Runs really good but i think it can run better ya know what i mean. So i need alittle imput. I am trying to decide if i want to put a super charger on it or if i want to yank the motor and put a 351 under the hood and build that up. Body wise i am gong to repaint it this winter probably the stock red/ maroon color it is. I have a set of rims and tires i am going to put on it as well. Its getting dropped 2 inches in the frt and 1 in the rear with adjustable ebocks. Dual flow master exhaust if on the way with a nice h pipe for the mix. I am also upgrading the brake system to what i havent decided yet. I am open to any and all suggestions and i will be posting pics as i go!!!! You mustang guys chime in please....:laugh:

Stroke it to 383 and have a fit. You will need another hood I believe with the 351 conversion, but you might confirm. Dont forget the rear end. What tranny? Tremac? But you could also put a 302 in there and put a twin screw on her, that would sound sick.

I'd yank the motor either way. But I have driven a 4.6 with a bolt on vortech sc. That was the only engine mod and I wasn't impressed. I'm saving up to do a fox body 5.0 swap with the fuel injection into my 65 falcon ranchero. Easy to find and easy to make power.

All depends on your budget.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm 99% sure there is more to a V8 swap in those cars than just the motor. The whole drivetrain is different and weaker in the V6's.

They don't even have the same wheelbase in width. Weaker axles, etc..

I have an ls1 going in to mine... With a big turbo, and turbo 400 trans.
null_zps7ff46201.jpg

Don't quote me on this, but I'm 99% sure there is more to a V8 swap in those cars than just the motor. The whole drivetrain is different and weaker in the V6's.

Just the type of information i a looking for thank you good sir!

That's a fact. Even in cars that have some of the same parts. Like the older cars. Gear ratios usually differ between automatic v8 cars and manual. Same with v6 models. But a little research and it should be no problem.

Also some consideration on ball joint/tie rod sizes. I couldn't say if those are the same.

And brakes.

Nothin some time researching couldn't solve, that's where I'm at in my swap.

That's a fact. Even in cars that have some of the same parts. Like the older cars. Gear ratios usually differ between automatic v8 cars and manual. Same with v6 models. But a little research and it should be no problem.

Yeah, the autos got something close to a 3.08 rear ratio I believe while the manuals got a 3.27 (off the top of my head, it's been literally about 8 years since I've even looked at one). However the rear end is completely different too, the V6 cars came with a weaker 7.5 inch rear end while the V8s got a pretty strong 8.8. The manual transmissions should be the same pretty much, not sure on the autos.

Here's the kicker, the 3.8 I have seen in the 10s with turbos on a stock longblock, the 4.6s will toss a rod a lot easier it seems.

That all being said, I would throw the 3.8 to the side and run with a 351. The only thing you'll need to change to actually mount it in the car is a new K-Member, everything else should be fine. Transmission will be different obviously, I wouldn't worry about the rear end for now but I'd change it out within the near future, wouldn't be launching it on anything super sticky.

Just remember, the chassis for the 79-04 Mustangs are pretty much the same damn thing.

from my research so far they are a nightmare to swap over. Nothing is compatible even the dash wiring. From whst my research has told me i would need motor trans rearend crossmembers dash wiring ecu etc etc etc....Basically a whole v8 car of the same year. Everything has to be swapped from what i have read. Fun Fun!

If your looking into a drag car do a carb set up. No computer control required. You would lose a bit of daily drivability, depending on your carb tuning skills.

I'm not sure of the output shaft size of whatever tranny you decide as far as matching that v6 rear end. But around my parts you can have one shortened if needed, balanced, and half v8 (tranny side) half v6 (rear end) spliced together for around 250$. Can't go crazy on that rear, but it will drive.

No love for the ls1 swap here? :(

Lol. A for effort, and would be cool in a Chevy....

But isn't that kinda like a zx14 powered Busa?

I'm in no way a purist with car brands. Buuuut it does seem a little weird to have a Chevy powered mustang. Or a ford powered chevelle ya kno.

Lol. A for effort, and would be cool in a Chevy....

But isn't that kinda like a zx14 powered Busa?

I'm in no way a purist with car brands. Buuuut it does seem a little weird to have a Chevy powered mustang. Or a ford powered chevelle ya kno.

It's unconventional sure, but on a budget it's the cheapest was to make power. Here in Texas it's harder to find a mustang with a ford motor, cuz they all have ls1s in them.

Look at it this was, a junkyard pull out 5.3 with wireharness, ecu, and accessories is about $600 or less. You can buy a k-member, or even just buy adapter mounts to bolt the engine straight in. If you leave the engine stock it's 325hp vs a stock 5.0 which is 205 I think? Then you can buy a used ls3 or ls7 cam for about $150, and pick up a used ls1 car intake manifold for $50 and add another 50hp.

The selling point for me is, they love boost. And have made over 1000hp on a stock bottom end. A new record was broken this year at ls1 fest, 8.80 on a stock bottom end. I think it was a 4.8 too.

It's unconventional sure, but on a budget it's the cheapest was to make power. Here in Texas it's harder to find a mustang with a ford motor, cuz they all have ls1s in them.

Look at it this was, a junkyard pull out 5.3 with wireharness, ecu, and accessories is about $600 or less. You can buy a k-member, or even just buy adapter mounts to bolt the engine straight in. If you leave the engine stock it's 325hp vs a stock 5.0 which is 205 I think? Then you can buy a used ls3 or ls7 cam for about $150, and pick up a used ls1 car intake manifold for $50 and add another 50hp.

The selling point for me is, they love boost. And have made over 1000hp on a stock bottom end. A new record was broken this year at ls1 fest, 8.80 on a stock bottom end. I think it was a 4.8 too.

My wallet usually makes my decisions too. But usually it just says no lol. Yeah that's about the power range. 88 5.0 is the highest of the fox bodies, maybe 89 too. Due to the less smog stuff and better combustion chamber if I remember right. But still only 225 factory.

My wallet usually makes my decisions too. But usually it just says no lol. Yeah that's about the power range. 88 5.0 is the highest of the fox bodies, maybe 89 too. Due to the less smog stuff and better combustion chamber if I remember right. But still only 225 factory.

I hear ya. That's why I went the route I did. Heck I just did a ls2 in a 65 coupe. The guy had unlimited funds but after pricing out what it cost to put a fuel injected bbf in it, it was half the cost to buy a junk yard ls2, and put a heads cam intake on it. Made 450 through an auto and a 9in rear.

Back