99 Busa(aka"My Husband") keeps cutting off, wont stay started

qstorm63

Registered
Hello,
I REALLY need some HELP. I have a 99 1st gene busa aka my husband that will not stay started. Initially, I was losing power and acceleration was I was riding. If I twisted my throttle it would eventually catch and start riding normal. I did have a power commander on it that died when I moved from Colorado to Texas when I was mapping it. I did not replace the power commander but did replace the throttle cables, this did not fix the issues. I than replaced the external fuel pump (with an aftermarket, changed the spark plug, changed the oil, put a K&N air filter on, cleaned my throttle body, replaced the battery, replace tip over sensor, adjust my kick-stand tab, and adjusted the throttle position sensor. My husband fires up like a champ but dies and shuts off about 2-4 minutes after that. When I try to restart it he tries but never turns over. If I leave it for 10-15 minutes he will start right back up but does the same thing again. It like he get a big gulp of gas to start but nothing after that! I think it maybe my fuel pressure regulator or fuel relay. I don’t know how to test those or what else it could be. I am so frustrated…..please someone help!

What is the fuel pressure set at?
Is the return line clear and flowing?
Have the Oem fuel lines been replaced?

OEM fuel lines replaced
Return line clear and flow
I dont know what the fuel pressure is set at. How do I check it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Fuel pressure should be at 43 PSI,
But it sounds like the bike is vapor locking, try starting the bike with the gas cap off.

your description is everything i got / have going on with my 99. i finially got so frustrated with it and got a 2012. If you get yours sorted out PLEASE pass along

I can fix it over the phone and am cheaper than the dealer, but you must be in front of the bike ready to work on it. I will supply any part it may need( cause I know what I'm sending not what your buying) and would never sell you anything you won't absolutely need.Last bike I did over phone had been in shop over a month with it leaving there not even cranking cranking went there running. One and half hr hour after it was home it was up running and owner says it has never ran better...I'm paid up front for my knowledge, as I cant spend all day on phone for free and I will solve issue and make recommendations after running properly...

I need a pm with:

yr, make,model
issue your having
all that you have tried or replaced
and only things I suggest over phone till it's running good do you do. I can only start with a gola and finish it if I know each time where we left off...

I won't chase 50 internet suggestions of others work. We start from beginning and go till your back riding.. If you need references I got plenty..

PS. Don't pm me unless you serious and ready to ride. Time to stop guessing and wasting money... Enjoy The Ride...

99 and 2000 Busas are prone to the fuel filters clogging. And also the fuel screens in the injectors will clog.

I knew that prior to me replacing my external fuel pump, for I bought a new fuel filter and mesh screen. Do you know how to clean the screens in the fuel injectors?

Goldenchild is a genius when it comes to these bike.im the bike he is referring too. Had my bike in a Suzuki dealer shop for two whole months. $1200.00 later empty pockets and a bike that still don't run. I get it home call Daniel (Goldenchild) had me running in 40 minutes. You need a reference....you got it. This man knows the busa inside and out. I recommend him to all my local busa owners.
Sincerely,
Dale Watson
Cyborgbusa

What's the external pump you swapped? The stock 99 has the regulator on the pump, so what FPR are you using now?

Give GoldenChild a call! Sounds like he's the one that can help you out with this :thumbsup:

I think the point of the forum is to try to help people for free at first, with our collective but amateur knowledge. Once the weekend warriors and others are out of ideas and the bike is still not fixed, call the pro, goldenchild. But I know I've received a lot of help from this forum and dished out what I can in return.

I tried reading it twice but I didn't see where you said you replaced the filter in the tank? After that I think the next step is to compression check the bike. All your symptoms describe low compression. ( This doesn't necessarily mean the engine is blown). After this you can troubleshoot the bike. Next step would be to check electrical. Sometimes electrical parts will fail when heated. When the bike won't start, check for spark. If you have spark pull the air box and put half a shot glass of fuel into the throttle bodies. 1 of these 3 things will lead you in right direction. After that break out the book.

Back