99 and 00 fuel pump issues

kazukiman

Registered
my low milage 2000 busa doesn't seem to be running right at speed. It seems like it's running out of fuel. I went to the local dealer and inquired about this, and I found out that suzuki had issued a bullitin about fuel pump issues back in 2000. the bullitin talks about clogging screens and kinked hoses. suzuki used finer mesh screens inside the fuel pump and petcock on the 99-00 busas.  the bullitin said that to rectify the problems, a new petcock, fuel filter and strainer and 3 new o rings should be installed. the new parts had the larger mesh screens that were made standard after the bullitin came out. It's an exspensive little fix, as the parts alone are almost $200.  Has anyone here on the board dealt with this issue?  And if so, what did you do?, and did it make a difference?   Thanks  Tom

the kinked hoses were part of the recall with the cam chain tensioner. they shouldnt cost anything. not sure about the filters though

There was something on this site about that and a cheap fix. It said to cut the screens out and put in an inline filter. I did it for a friend and it seemed to work. Can't give you any long term because the bike got stolen a month later.

I had the same problem with my 2000 Busa. It turned out to
be paper filters coming apart with age and clogging up the
screens. They replaced the paper filters with later model filters and rings. It hasn't had a problem since they corrected the filter issue. That was about 3 years ago. I had a extended warranty (100,000) and didn't cost me a dime to get
fixed.

My 2002 busa's fuel pump went bad after 39k miles.

Put it on a dyno with a fuel/air sensor. If its running way lean at high rpm under load, then your not getting enough fuel.

Back